Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Fellsteruk
To your point about pilots at the end of PPl, I’m at the latter stage of my ppl training soon to skills test hopefully and I can tell you with 100% honesty NO.

In October last year I was thinking I’d never get a license having still to do first solo and totally focused on the outcome and the next milestone which made me enjoy the hobby much less.

I’m now more focused on the experience of each flight good or bad, I’m learning. In October I’d never have thought I’d be flying a solo circuit never mind cross country and I think that’s typical as I know a lot of students who felt and feel the same.

I’m currently at 61hours 5mins total and a bit more to go sure I’ve done a night rating but that’s only 5hours so still way more than the 45hours which for most of us will never be achieved some do some don’t we’re all different.
T6Harvard, editmonkey liked this
By bladerunner911
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
editmonkey wrote:Do you have your first proper lesson booked in yet?

It was supposed to be last Saturday but was cancelled due to weather, which I was expecting.
Next planned lesson is now 22nd, but Windy is showing some very sketchy weather as well so hoping things don't turn out as bad as currently looking :roll:

editmonkey wrote:I consoled myself for not getting enough air time by downloading the OrbX scenery for X-Plane and practicing my new tricks out to the coast and back :)

Yeah I've been doing that for the last year with a nice yoke and pedals in VR. The Just Flight Piper Warrior is pretty good :D
It's actually what made me realise I actually want to do it for real!
editmonkey liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
editmonkey wrote:It's becoming apparent that for this to be sustainable alongside work commitments, money, having a life etc...

Sorry, unfamiliar...

bladerunner911 wrote:It's weird because I am still waiting for my first proper lesson and I keep looking at the weather and feeling like I'll never start!

Welcome to the next 30 years of frustration. This is why in the UK we say there's very much a flying season.

Some people on here will try and mislead you that some of the best flying happens on crisp sunny days in the winter. It does...if those two days a year happen to coincide with a weekend and aeroplane availability.... ;-)
By TopCat
editmonkey wrote:Oh lovely. Lesson at 3pm today, TAF is 30% heavy rain showers, graupel and thunderstorms.

Wish me luck! No doubt my FI will still have me up there doing climbing turns. :lol:

In reality, PROB30 usually means probably won't, PROB40 means almost certainly will.

If it's only PROB30 your instructor should be able to get you to avoid the showers.

The sky will be very pretty away from the rain, so enjoy!
bladerunner911, JAFO liked this
By editmonkey
Ha. Thanks TopCat! I really do enjoy the cloud dodging.

I would like just one lesson with a horizon though, just to callibrate my climbs and turns against something other than white fluffy stuff :)

Leads me onto a met question. Low pressure but no isobars, no fronts in the vicinity, troughs to the North and South but nothing near Teeside. On the pressure map it looks like a perfect sunny summers day. Where's all the manic air coming from? Just different air masses?

Here's the F215:
bladerunner911 liked this
By Rob P
My best guess is that the low out in the Atlantic to the NW of Ireland is dragging cold and wet air from arctic regions and neatly shooting it across to Teeside in order to make your life miserable.

If I have got this right, credit goes to Simon and his Weather School, if I have got it wrong, it means I wasn't listening after an overdose of cake.

Rob P
By editmonkey
Rob P wrote:neatly shooting it across to Teeside in order to make your life miserable

Or as my instructor would call it... 'fun'. :lol:

That makes perfect sense Rob, cheers.

Also cake** is a crucial aid to deep learning, didn't you know?

**Biccies & chocolate are also applicable
By editmonkey
bladerunner911 wrote:The Just Flight Piper Warrior is pretty good :D
It's actually what made me realise I actually want to do it for real!

I just got it and it's beautifully detailed isn't it? But that constant left-hand pull - wondering if that's because the real life PA38 has the rudder physically trimmed.
By bladerunner911
Fingers crossed for your lesson today!
Today I learnt what graupel is - I'm not sure if that was specifically mentioned in the Pooleys met book, but I know now! Thanks! :lol:
Re: the JF Warrior, I have noticed a left banking tendancy on the model that is pretty annoying. I haven't been able to trim it out reliably. I presume that is what you are seeing?
There is a really annoying over the top nose wheel screeching noise when taxying as well :x
editmonkey liked this
By editmonkey
Well that was a bit sh*t.

Lovely thunder cloud arrived north of the field at the same time as me. Plane still out getting serviced. Instructor decided to skip a lesson and start circuits to play safe and keep the runway close. But all very exciting. First landing on the cards. Spent the waiting time in the briefing room going over the circuit, all of a sudden I realised we’d be putting the lessons together into a coherent flight with me doing the beginning, middle and end, if that makes sense.

The a/c arrived back, we got out and it all just felt wrong. I was rushing the checks and we split the externals to get up before the cloud arrived. Had to pause while it was refuelled. Rushed the start up, lots missed, felt very pressured.

Then got told that the airport was now charging T&Gs at full landing rates. So likely an extra £50 on the lesson. (They used to be free). The cloud was edging closer. G-FP started to rock in the gusts.

Eventually got the prop spinning and tower warned of possible lightning in the approaching cloud. We watched it, prevaricated, then scrubbed. Then I watched the thundercloud gently dissipate into the ether as the covers were put on, by the time I got 5 mins up the road the sky was blue again.

Traffic meant a 2 hour drive home.

Grrrr. Bloody weather. Grumpy and disappointed.
T6Harvard liked this
By TopCat
editmonkey wrote:Well that was a bit sh*t.
Grrrr. Bloody weather. Grumpy and disappointed.

I'm sure every single one of us here can totally identify with you.

Sorry it was so sh*t..... it happens. :cry:

There will be other days. And you'll be glad you persevered.
editmonkey, T6Harvard, Rob P liked this
By T6Harvard
Oh, what a shame. However! What a valuable (and free?) lesson!! Don't rush no matter what, but especially to 'beat the weather'.

Eek! to the landing fees. That seems prohibitively expensive, surely the flying school can't be happy.

Part of my problem on Monday was that as I drove there I was expecting flying to be canx, and when we went ahead, although I absolutely trust my Instructor 100%, I was very worried about the low cloud the whole time.
Looking back I realise I haven't got the spare capacity to worry!

Anyway, we are learning to fly, so all's good, eh?!
editmonkey liked this