Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By NewbieFH
Afternoon,

Pending weather, I'll be doing my QXC tomorrow, been over the plan probably 100 times over the weekend.

the plan is Turweston, Shobdon then Sywell, I was thinking of asking for a transit via Brum instead of dipping underneath (essentially overhead wellsborne) any thoughts, i feel all confident now but think tomorrow it might be a step too far.

thoughts appreciated
JAFO, T6Harvard liked this
By TopCat
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The objective of the QXC is to get round the route, do decent joins and landings at each destination. and generally not make a tit of yourself. It's a milestone rather than a test.

So I would say, do whatever you need to, to make the entire trip as simple and straightforward as you can.

Introduce no unnecessary difficulties, don't plan to do anything that you aren't confident with, and just enjoy it while flying as well as you possibly can for the whole time.

It's been high pressure with little wind for the last few days, and yesterday was considerably hazier than Saturday. With no particular change forecast, visibility is likely to be the only issue I'd be slightly wary of - Birmingham's TAF says possibly only 7k until about 10:00 local, but I reckon it could easily be not much more than that for most of the morning at least. By the afternoon it should be better, but remember that 'vis 10k or more' might still be only 6 miles, which is rubbish.

For the Shobdon to Sywell leg, I'd be tempted to dogleg overhead Wellesbourne rather than going direct. It avoids the CAS (below 3500' anyway), it's got a hard runway that would be a great landmark, and the track from Shobdon to Wellesbourne is bang on the DTY radial. Just don't bust the ATZ or fly over the gliding site at Snitterfield.

From Wellesbourne back to Sywell, Northampton should be pretty hard to miss.

Best of luck.

___
Edited to point out that Wellesbourne is only clear of CAS if you're below 3500'
NewbieFH, Morten, T6Harvard liked this
By T6Harvard
Hope it goes well! I guess you have been armchair flying the route for a few days?
Keep it simple, no last minute or airborne changes of plan UNLESS necessary for safety.
NewbieFH liked this
By TopCat
NewbieFH wrote:QXC all done, dog legged via wellsbourne overhead. spoke to brum both directions, overall very happy with everything, took my time and everything pretty much went as planned, a great day to be up :)

Great news - very well done! How was the vis in the end?
By NewbieFH
TopCat wrote:
NewbieFH wrote:QXC all done, dog legged via wellsbourne overhead. spoke to brum both directions, overall very happy with everything, took my time and everything pretty much went as planned, a great day to be up :)

Great news - very well done! How was the vis in the end?

a bit hazy but overall it was fine, 10k +/- which is actually alot less then you expect