Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Fellsteruk
Don’t know if anyone else is feeling it but I’m now two hours back into training after the lockdown.

Did a nav exercise today to brush up on nav and map reading but was super hazy so visibility wasn’t great which translated into some very anxious map reading which meant I wasn’t as focused on DI which only added to the issues when off course and trying to see where I was.

All things considered pretty miffed with myself very much a one step back lesson but I did enjoy it which is the main thing I guess.

On a related note, wasn’t sure how I felt about flying our of hawarden but it’s a pretty cool airfield and so far like it a lot, not used the cafe yet but noticed it’s also now open which is nice for takeaway.

Onwards and upwards, hope your all enjoying getting back to the sky’s
T6Harvard liked this
By T6Harvard
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Yes but now it's over and the next lesson will be fresh and a lot easier :mrgreen:
And you enjoyed it really! We are all being a bit hard on ourselves, I think.

Glad you like Hawarden. We also had the haze over in the far side of Cheshire. Hope it is clearer tomorrow :shock:
By FlightDek
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Fellsteruk wrote:On a related note, wasn’t sure how I felt about flying our of hawarden but it’s a pretty cool airfield and so far like it a lot, not used the cafe yet but noticed it’s also now open which is nice for takeaway.

Maybe I'll meet up with you sometime as I live in Chester and was looking jealously at every aircraft that flew over. Which aircraft are you learning to fly in?

Dek
By Fellsteruk
I fly this old girl GBSLU https://ibb.co/x7N5hQ2
Understandably hawarden is pretty quiet at the moment with few movements so will be nice to see more people about.

They had a group meet up in the car park yesterday of a collection of Westfield kitcars, they looked great.

I recall as a kid wanting to build a Westfield and thinking, I can make an airfix kit how hard can it be lol.
T6Harvard liked this
Fellsteruk wrote:
I recall as a kid wanting to build a Westfield and thinking, I can make an airfix kit how hard can it be lol.

So we just moved house in the winter and one of the attractions was finally having a garage in which I could assemble a Westfield, slowly, over the next decade or so. Did all of my research (can barely change a wheel), had visions of refurbing a Chevy small block from scratch...

Garage has now become a graveyard for old furniture/toys. Booo! So started flying instead :lol:
T6Harvard liked this
By Fellsteruk
editmonkey wrote:! So started flying instead :lol:

I’d say that’s a wise and better move. I had an old 350z which I brought back to life and love it like a baby only thing was I hardly drove it and after six years I decided to get rid :( still I’d rather fly than have a car in my garage to look at.
editmonkey, T6Harvard liked this