Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By NewbieFH
So i have 3 lessons booked next week, hoping the weather plays ball for at least one of them.

when i booked i was feeling confident, even though I haven't flown for 3 months, no that its next week a wave of nervousness is currently washing over me.

I'm sure it will be fine and i like everyone else will shake of the rust a little and get on with it, really looking forward to it thought :)

have a great day
By T6Harvard
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I know what you mean.

I have never felt nervous or anxious in any way before or during flying but I had butterflies last week, thinking about my first lesson back. Then I wondered if it was actually excitement...?

Anyway I transferred the nervous energy into studying and bashed through Air Law while I had the stamina :lol:

Good idea, as suggested, to go through checklists or other familiar routines. Then wile away some time packing your flying bag (see other thread) with sunnies and headset, etc 8)
Last edited by T6Harvard on Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TopCat liked this
By Fellsteruk
Your not alone!!

I’m 40 hours into my ppl and lucky that my last flight was in Jan this year so my break is less than many.

That said I’m bricking it for Monday on my first lesson back.

The suggestion to attend before and preflight is a good one to get that our the way but to be honest a little nervousness is good keeps you on your toes but I’m sure once you’ve taken off, climes out and leveled off on your first heading you’ll start to settle right in ;p

Let us know how it goes.
T6Harvard liked this
By TopCat
Might be worth just thinking about why you guys are nervous. Presumably the nervousness is about how you're going to do after such a long break rather than actual fear of the flight itself?

If so, then don't beat yourselves up about it.

a) it's pretty normal (and perfectly ok) to feel that way if you're even remotely self-aware.
b) it probably won't be as bad as you think once you get back into it
c) even if you're rubbish for a flight or two, that's ok too.

Even after my most horrendous cock-ups as a student, my instructor's wise words were always "put it behind you and carry on".

No matter how hard it seems now, time will give you a very different perspective on the learning process, regardless of any troubles along the way.
T6Harvard, Hazel C liked this
By T6Harvard
Wise words @TopCat Thank you.
Definitely not nervous about the flight, just don't want to make a fool of myself by forgetting the basics!
By Highland Park
T6Harvard wrote:Wise words @TopCat Thank you.
Definitely not nervous about the flight, just don't want to make a fool of myself by forgetting the basics!

You might surprise yourself and realise that you have remembered more than you have forgotten...good luck to all of you on the restart and enjoy it!

Ian
TopCat, T6Harvard liked this
By TopCat
T6Harvard wrote:Wise words @TopCat Thank you.

TBH, it's no bad thing to feel that way.

Having an aversion to looking like a plonker means you'll put in that extra bit of effort to avoid it.

In my book that's actually a good thing. Doing things that are actually dangerous tend to be preceded by things that merely make you look like an eejit.

So if you can avoid the latter, chances are you'll avoid the former - by a larger margin.

Obviously you won't always achieve it, so make sure you come back and tell us about it to give us all a laugh something we can learn from. :wink: :wink:
T6Harvard liked this
By VRB_20kt
TopCat wrote:TBH, it's no bad thing to feel that way.

Completely correct. The day you become blasé about jumping into an aircraft and committing flight is the day you open the door to omissions and mistakes. A healthy degree of excitement/nerves is a positive thing.
TopCat, T6Harvard liked this
By NDB_hold
I’ve been flying for 20 years this month, and I was still nervous getting back in last week for my first flight after lockdown. If you weren’t nervous, you’d be overconfident.

Absolutely agree though with spending some time in the cockpit if you can before the flight - even if it’s just 10 minutes before the instructor gets in.
JAFO, T6Harvard liked this
By T6Harvard
I took to going for my lesson very early so I could indeed get sorted in the cockpit and not feel rushed. So rather than fumbling to sort out headset, mask that was steaming up glasses (!), seat position, seat belt shoulder into lap strap etc and feeling under pressure, I do all that before my walk round, fuel inspection etc, and before my instructor rocks up.

Just writing about it feels good!
AlanC, AndyR liked this
By David Wood
That's exactly the right approach. Take your time; don't rush. If you get interrupted then start again. And if in doubt, ask. Slow, thorough and stress-free pre-flight prep lays the foundation to a safe return to the skies. No shame in taking it slowly.
T6Harvard liked this
By lobstaboy
David Wood wrote:That's exactly the right approach. Take your time; don't rush. If you get interrupted then start again. And if in doubt, ask. Slow, thorough and stress-free pre-flight prep lays the foundation to a safe return to the skies. No shame in taking it slowly.

Absolutely. I think there's actually a neurological process going on - as we do that slow, thorough pre-flight it wakes up memories and pathways in the brain that we are going to use. It feels like that to me anyway.
T6Harvard liked this
By Fellsteruk
My lockdown break is officially broken, just back from 65min flight at Hawarden lovely clear sky a little cold but so nice.

My landings where rusty and them some, did some circuits after some air work and my first landing was a mess and ended up going around but by the 3rd I was settled in.

So excited for next lesson and for everyone else to get back in the sky was pretty dead at hawarden no beluga today :(
T6Harvard, TopCat liked this