Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By dawid
hello i know i have 20/20 vision in my left eye but my right eye is a bit worse i am wondering if i can still pass my class 1 medical.
By foxmoth
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
You are allowed glasses!
By Cessna571
Hi,

what is it that makes you think it’s not correctable? Have you already had them tested for a different purpose or do you have a specific physical abnormality.

You say it’s a “bit worse”, that’s usually correctable, and as above, you are allowed glasses.

The other question is, why do you need a Class 1, are you considering a career in an airline, ATPL?

I only ask these questions as there is a lot of knowledge here, guidance and help, I’m wondering if you are worried over nothing if you have one good eye and one bad, and just need glasses.

You may also not need a Class1, if you are not going commercial.
By Dodo
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Retired AME here.

As an aside, and not really relevant to the OP's question.

"20/20" is an American description of " normal" distant visual acuity, not usually used in the UK. It means, basically, that an eye can see at 20 feet what a "normal" eye can see at 20 feet.

In the UK it is "6/6" which means the same really, that an eye can see at 6 metres what a "normal eye" can see at 6 metres.

There is a link to a CAA conversion table here https://www.caa.co.uk/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=4294973558

Many young people, with healthy eyes, and appropriate correction if necessary, can actually see rather better than 6/6. My eye chart went down to 6/4 and many youngsters could read that.

If anyone read the "Made in England" line at the bottom, I knew they had cheated and read it in advance.
JAFO, Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Cessna571
My first eye test for a racing license was filled in as 6/3 by my Doctor and the MSA declined my application saying it needed to be 6/6.

After a conversation with the MSA, I had to get my Doctor to write a letter explaining that 6/3 was actually BETTER than 6/6.

At one point I asked him if he’d mind just putting 6/6 as anything else seemed to be confusing the admin staff at the MSA !

(Reading impossibly small writing used to be my party trick. Those days are sadly over now)
By akg1486
Dodo wrote:Many young people, with healthy eyes, and appropriate correction if necessary, can actually see rather better than 6/6. My eye chart went down to 6/4 and many youngsters could read that.

If anyone read the "Made in England" line at the bottom, I knew they had cheated and read it in advance.

Dodo liked this
By cadoganpier
Following on from a motorbike crash I have damage to the optic nerve on my right eye, it's uncorrectable and it's a bit like i've looked into a bright light, I can see some stuff if I move my head a bit but most of it is blurred, I also have poor peripheral vision on that side as a result, The FIA gave me a Class B international license and I have passed several Class 2 medicals without a problem, I've never been told I wouldn't pass a Class 1 but I haven't specifically asked, prior to my first Class 2 I was really worried but it turned out there was no need.