Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By SH87
Hi everyone, got some really helpful responses recently so gonna go ahead with a few more questions....

I am really struggling with my research, and would like to know if you have any advice for me or if there are any independent sources of information for the following;

Ground school, ATPLs. There appear to be a few schools and all seem to offer good products, but how can I be confident it isn’t just good marketing? How do I make a more informed decision?

Similarly, flight schools to do CPL, IRR, CBIR. I really like the look of Aeros in Coventry, but I will need to sign up to do all my training with them (i.e. I couldn’t choose to go to another school once started with them), how do I know they are as good as they look?

Really interested therefore to hear how you chose your respective schools to learn at, what sources of information exist and what I should be looking for in my research,

Thanks!
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
You might struggle. This comes up from time to time, and the issue is that people don't have anything to compare their training with, it's rare that people will repeat their training in different schools and know enough about it to know which one is better.

The best you can do is to have one in mind and ask if anyone else has done "x" with them (here on the forum maybe or on pprune) and ask for opinions.

I would steer clear of anyone who says you have to complete all your courses with them, but for any particular individual course, you'd have to stick to the one provider, though it may be possible to transfer mid-course with a transfer of your training records, for example if you're moving to another part of the country.

I don't see how they can tie you in, if you just say, "I want to do my IR", then they should just teach you the IR. If you go to another school in the future and say, "I want to do my ME" then they should teach you the ME. Etc.
scd975, SH87 liked this