Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By SH87
Firstly, apologies if this has been covered, I looked but couldn’t find this topic elsewhere, so please feel free to direct me.

Where a student had completed all assessments for a LAPL or PPL, has applied and is simply waiting for the CAA to issue a licence, can I start building toward the 100 hours PiC at this point? (As required for CPL)

Of course while waiting for the licence I will still need my instructor to essentially book me out as a solo student flight.

If these can count toward my PiC hours building then great, if not then financially it may be better for me to hold off for a while until the CAA issues my licence.

Thanks

Simon
By Rob P
Absolutely.

Signed off by your instructor. No passengers.

Rob P
Iceman liked this
By Iceman
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
It’s just like your solo cross-country flights during your PPL training, all counting towards your P1 time. There was a 6 week wait for my licence back in 96, during which I did several solo flights and also checked out on a new type.

Iceman 8)
By SH87
Thank you both.

Potentially a bit pedantic, but reviewing my logbook before sending off to CAA...

I have been noting my solo time as P1, but on review of the instructions in the logbook it suggests I should in fact use P1/S, and have it countersigned by my instructor. I suspect I should go and get each flight counter signed now before sending off.

Do you think this is an issue, and can I just confirm this is what you mean in the above responses, P1/S will still count towards my 100 hours.

Thanks and sorry!
By riverrock
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
No - P1.
P1/S (or PICUS) is when you are acting as P1 but someone else is in the aircraft who is actually P1. In reality, until you are in a multi pilot aircraft (when you are acting as P1 with a training captain watching you) the only time you'll log that is on a successful flight test (if unsuccessful it goes down as Put).

On hours, yes, can log towards CPL before licence issue. I seem to remember IMC (IR(r)) training needs to be so many hours after licence issue before starting.
SH87 liked this