Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By T6Harvard
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I need some advice, please.

EDITED FOR CLARITY - my apologies for rushing to make plans for possible diversion.

My school have just telephoned to explain that they are having to temporarily put me with a different instructor.
They have said they are working to sort out suitably qualified instructor and will get back to with definite dates when they achieve this. It is a very busy school and not all instructors are PPL suitable.

I am on the PPl course.

I will not be a minimum hours student!

So, my question is..... if they struggle to fit me in with PPL FI would I jeopardise anything by accepting a few lessons with a LAPL-only FI?
My gut reaction is to accept. OK, so the hours won't count towards PPL but it is all flying and learning and I need the practice!
Last edited by T6Harvard on Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
I will play The Devil's Advocaat here

You almost certainly will not qualify in 45.00 hours. Let's say, for the sake of argument it takes you 51 hours?

If you fly with a LAPL instructor you don't log the hour, but you do build the experience.

So you (all other things being equal) will qualify in 50 hours

Oh look! Bragging rights, a bit closer to the 45 hour SkyGod zone.

Rob P
T6Harvard, davenuk liked this
By T6Harvard
Wow, you lot are quick!!!

Thank you @MattL @Flyin'Dutch' @Nero . Much appreciated. I'll heed your advice.

I don't want to give the impression that my school were trying to persuade me to accept a suboptimal situ, they weren't. They said they are working to sort out availability.
I was looking at what I need to consider if they could only sort out either a reduction in the number of lessons or a few hours of LAPL, should demand outstrip supply.
By WelshRichy
It isn't just the hours you need to look at and I don't know how far along the course you are but if the LAPL(A) only instructor covers off Stalling 10(B)(1)&(2) you would probably need to go over the same exercises again with the PPL(A) instructor. Okay they probably won't take as long and it is good experience but nonetheless it'll be another recap and learning to fly isn't cheap to start with.

I do not agree with the whole LAPL(A) and PPL(A) instructor differences as all it means is one of them has sat and passed all CPL(A) theory exams and the other didn't. They both had to still go through exactly the same FI course and pass exactly the same FI Assessment of Competence to exactly the same standards which includes a very thorough grilling over their theory knowledge. LAPL and PPL courses are by their nature the same especially pre-solo as there is only one way to teach someone to fly. But hey ho they are the rules.
T6Harvard liked this
I agree with @Rob P's post, however I'm too long in the tooth to think everything would fall in to place as expected. Too many opportunities for confusion and dragging it out at your expense, IMO.

That said it's not a entirely black and white decision.

The notion of paying for training you can't log. :think:

If you are desperate to fly why not use the Flyer Club discount for https://www.ultimatehigh.co.uk/products ... Experience
By T6Harvard
Miscellaneous wrote:I agree with @Rob P's post, however I'm too long in the tooth to think everything would fall in to place as expected. Too many opportunities for confusion and dragging it out at your expense, IMO.

That said it's not a entirely black and white decision.

The notion of paying for training you can't log. :think:

If you are desperate to fly why not use the Flyer Club discount for https://www.ultimatehigh.co.uk/products ... Experience

OMG! Yes! Well, I'm not bothered about anyTop Gun dog fights but the aeros would be amazing!!
I would find out when a PPL instructor will be available.
As said -learning to fly "aint cheap".
If the club has a real problem with getting you a guy with PPL qualifications seems a bit odd, ---.Are there any other clubs near to where you"re learning--a lot of instructors teach at more than one club.
T6Harvard liked this
By skydriller
Im surprised there are issues with lack of instructors, I was under the impression that the current stuation meant there were more instructors out there than ever before!!