Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By SplashyBaton13
Hi all, first post here

Next month, when lockdown eases I'm going to embark on learning to fly and have decided that the NPPL(M) route is probably for me, based on realistically how much I want to spend and the kind of flying I'm interested in.

I have a couple of questions that I haven't been able to find the answer to online.

Are the 5 ground exams that you need to take for the NPPL(M) the same as their equivalents for the PPL? (I know with PPL there are more than 5 exams).

Second question - what are the options for development and learning beyond the NPPL(M)? Can you add ratings or further qualifications?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk
By lobstaboy
The theory exams are not the same. The microlight exams are: air law, navigation, metereology, human factors and aircraft technical. All with questions relevant to flying and operating microlights, although naturally there is lots of overlap.
You cannot add ratings or formal qualifications to the NPPL microlights. But you can add a rating to fly SSEA aeroplanes (typically LAA permit types) if you wish. (Strictly speaking you are gaining an NPPL (A), microlights. Not an NPPL (M), although everyone calls it that)
But there are good routes to progression for qualified microlight pilots now, under the BMAA Wings scheme. There is no excuse for not further improving your skills (and enjoyment) after qualifying.
Get a copy of the BMAA syllabus
https://www.bmaa.org/catalogue/bmaa-pub ... maa-member
This is the new version which is quite different to older ones that you may find online.
The BMAA Wings scheme is here
https://www.bmaa.org/information-library/wings

HTH
By flyingearly
SplashyBaton13 wrote:Hi all, first post here

Next month, when lockdown eases I'm going to embark on learning to fly and have decided that the NPPL(M) route is probably for me, based on realistically how much I want to spend and the kind of flying I'm interested in.

I have a couple of questions that I haven't been able to find the answer to online.

Are the 5 ground exams that you need to take for the NPPL(M) the same as their equivalents for the PPL? (I know with PPL there are more than 5 exams).

Second question - what are the options for development and learning beyond the NPPL(M)? Can you add ratings or further qualifications?

Thanks in advance

Hello! And, first off, congrats on making a great decision to start your lessons!

I am around 18 months the other side of getting my NPPL (A) with Microlight Rating, which is what I assume you are getting (not a NPPL(M)).

As the other answer has indicated, the exams are not the same - they are slightly more microlight specific (in parts) and you won't take the same number as for the PPL. Broadly, the content is similar though and subjects like Air Law are the same.

In terms of progression, this is where it gets trickier, as I am finding out. Here's my take on it, although someone eminently more experienced and qualified can correct me if I'm wrong:

Currently, once you have NPPL (A) with Microlight Rating, you can 'upgrade' and add SSEA privelidges to your licence. This will allow you to fly a slightly more powerful single engine aircraft that is not registered with a Certificate of Airworthiness. You'll still be subject to the NPPL 'bit' (e.g. it'll be a national licence, with some constraints on where you can fly overseas).

So, currently, you won't be able to fly the traditional Cessna spamcans that you'd learn on in your PPL. Instead, you'll be limited to 'non-EASA' type aircraft; aircraft maintained on a permit, like a Jodel, Sting etc. The paradox, as I understand it, is that you can do the 'SSEA' training on an aircraft that - once you've been signed off - you aren't legally allowed to fly thereafter.

You also, therefore, won't be able to add night ratings, IR etc for the time being. You can, however, have further lessons and 'differences training' in order to fly taildragger aircraft.

There are quite active noises that suggest that from this June, the government/CAA will be enacting changes that will mean you CAN fly 'EASA-type' aircraft from that point on, in which case the dead end will disappear and there will be a pathway to then fly whatever you want and continue your progression, but this pathway is not clear right now.

I am at the end of that cul-de-sac at present; I'm about to do my SSEA 'upgrade', but then will be awaiting whatever the CAA announce ahead of June to determine what next.

So, summary:

NPPL(A) with Microlight rating allows you to fly microlights
    Upgrade to add SSEA privelidges allows you to fly more powerful single engine aircraft that are not registered on a CoA (so, effectively kit planes and vintage aircraft)
    Optional to do a taildragger differences training to enable flying of taildraggers, but subject to the 2 points above
    No traditional spamcans, Cessnas, PA28s etc, no IR, no night rating
    From June, the expectation (or hope?) is that the constraints of the above might relax or change

FWIW, I think NPPL (A) with M is the way to go as it's much more affordable and I've got faith that the powers that be will see sense and the doors will unlock this summer, which means you'll get more flying for your money than going down the PPL(A) route.
By SplashyBaton13
Thanks for the detailed replies. It's really useful. It's a bit of a nightmare trying to figure out what's what at the moment with all the various changes.

I'm sure I'll have more questions in the coming weeks!

Cheers

By flyingearly
Bathman wrote:Just a correction to above you can put a night rating on an NPPL.

Really? Wow - I had no idea - you learn something new every day (although I'm not going to be adding one any time soon).
By lobstaboy
flyingearly wrote:
Bathman wrote:Just a correction to above you can put a night rating on an NPPL.

Really? Wow - I had no idea - you learn something new every day (although I'm not going to be adding one any time soon).

Not useable in a microlight, though, so only if you have the SSEA rating.