Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Wotlop
Hi all,

Missed out on getting my night rating in over the winter, what with this planet being on the naughty step.

Looking for sooner-than-next-winter options, I've found Carlisle Flight Training who, according to their website, are "one of the few places that offer a Night Rating year round".

Does anyone know who these other few may be, if any? My google-fu seems weak.

Much appreciated.

W
By mpk
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I doubt they could do it over a couple of nights around 21 June but for other places open to 2100 ish, Blackpool, Oxford, Southend, Humberside,......
By Morten
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Funny that Carlisle should be advertising for that. Between 21st March and 21st September, the further north you go the shorter the nights... If anyone should be advertising summer night flying it should be one of the CI schools :thumright:
By Wotlop
lobstaboy wrote:Shouldn't your thread title have been
A Midsummer Night's Rating ?

Not if you like to Grease your landings.... I'll locate the nearest exit...

Found a couple more options to try now, cheers again. :)
Iceman, Flyingfemme liked this
By Boxkite
What was the point of moving this to Student Pilots?
Is the same thing going to happen to enquiries about IFR, IMC, aerobatic, tailwheel training etc,etc?
By Fellsteruk
Boxkite wrote:What was the point of moving this to Student Pilots?
Is the same thing going to happen to enquiries about IFR, IMC, aerobatic, tailwheel training etc,etc?

Ain’t you a student in that rating till you have the rating ?
Rob P liked this
By Rob P
It is arguable that if you are studying to pass a test you are indeed a student. But then the night rating (when did it stop being a night qualification?) doesn't involve a written test so are you actually studying? :scratch:

Who actually cares where the question is?

Rob P
By NDB_hold
Night qualification makes an interesting challenge, but I can honestly say since I did mine in 2001 I haven't used it once.

The airfields I fly from are mostly either closed at night, or you need to attend a special night briefing because big egg-whisks fly around with their lights off...
Rob P liked this
By Rob P
That's the key. So few airfields are open after dark and those that are tend to be big hubs charging megabucks.

Pilot controlled lighting is rare in this country.

Like you I enjoyed the training and a few circular flights after, but actual use? Very limited.

If the OP can't currently train at his base, from where and to where will subsequent night flights take place?

Rob P
By Bathman
I actually think it is getting better. It's a real shame PCL wasn't historically allowed in the uk like it was in the states.

It's a constant problem every year trying to get night ratings for students who are wanting to start a CPL course.
Rob P liked this