Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Wotlop
I agree I may never use it for it's named purpose, but I fancy the night rating a low pressure way back into the student mindset, and need it anyway if I'm going to go for a CPL at some point.

Unfortunately my grand flying plans are a little stalled while we're sitting on a cornflake, and local options I had pencilled in are winter only, so I'm looking at every possibility before accepting another year's delay.

W
By David Wood
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Rob P wrote:Pilot controlled lighting is rare in this country.

Like you I enjoyed the training and a few circular flights after, but actual use? Very limited.
Rob P

I'd agree in general. I'm very lucky in that where I operate my Arrow from we have both PCL and out of hours use. And so whilst in truth I seldom actually use the night rating for flying about in the dark, it is useful to have in the bag and it takes the time-pressure off if returning from a trip to Europe or elsewhere.

And there is something so truly magical about night flying. Everyone ought to experience it at some poing. And also flying through the dusk or dawn. They are the hidden gems of flying...
T6Harvard liked this
By T6Harvard
David Wood wrote:
Snipped

And there is something so truly magical about night flying. Everyone ought to experience it at some poing. And also flying through the dusk or dawn. They are the hidden gems of flying...

^^^^^^ YES!!! On my list to do :-D :-D :-D
By Paul_Sengupta
David Wood wrote:And there is something so truly magical about night flying. Everyone ought to experience it at some point. And also flying through the dusk or dawn. They are the hidden gems of flying...

Many years ago when I was in a group on a 172 from Cardiff, the chap who refuelled the aeroplane said he'd never been up in a Cessna, only Pipers, PA38 and PA28. I asked if he wanted to go flying there and then. It was approaching dusk as we took off, and the car headlights and streetlights started coming on as we were flying. The sun was setting over the hills and by the time we got back to Cardiff it was dark.

He thought it was so magical, he signed up for his night rating the very next day.
By exocet12
@Wotlop did you get anywhere with your search? I’d also be interested in finding somewhere further south than Carlisle to complete a night rating in the next month or so.
By Danny
Try the flying schools at Oxford. When I started mine with GoFly Oxford they were happy to teach as long as the airfield was open which is 10pm I think. Give them a call to see what they can do.
By Wotlop
@exocet12 +1 for Oxford if you're still searching, I spoke to one of the schools who said they can do training beyond the winter season in principle. I imagine all the schools there play by much the same rules.

W
By exocet12
@Wotlop and @Danny - thanks both for the advice.

I did manage to complete my night rating this past week via Oxford. Not sure how long they will keep doing it during the summer. ATC closed at 2030z last night, and (I think) is only open some nights when the local schools are flying at night.

So it is possible. For others’ reference I had basically called around every large school offering night ratings and found the story to be the same - they weren’t offering a rating at the moment as the airfield was closing early due to covid. Even Oxford said this initially, but on further inquiries said it could be done.

The one other exception was Cardiff who agreed they could do it, but since the airfield had reduced/no night movements that the student (me!) would need to pay £250 each evening to extend the ATC hours... so a considerable cost on top of the basic cost for the rating.

GL anyone else considering it! It was a fun and informative experience and I benefited from some nice stable high pressure over the last few nights!
T6Harvard, Danny, Wotlop liked this