Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

Hi everyone,

I have done some Googling on the topic but am struggling to get concrete information.

In terms of ATPLs I am pretty sure that...
1. You have 18 months limit to complete all ATPL exams after your first sitting.
2. You then have 36 months from completing your ATPL exams to complete CPL and IR applications.

Difficulty is that I have been told this by people and read on forums, but haven’t found it written down in a formal document. I am sure these people who have told me are trustworthy but I want to be sure before I go and commit to an eye watering amount of money on my training!

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Simon
By WelshRichy
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Hi Simon.

The UK took EASA regulations as they stood on 31/12/20 at 23:59 and ported them into UK
Law. They also copied over the Easy Access Regulations as they stood at the link below.

https://publicapps.caa.co.uk/modalapplication.aspx?appid=11&mode=detail&id=9940

You are looking for FCL.025 on pages 54 &55.

These are the regulations as they stand (the 18 and 36 months you’ve been quoted are correct). As and when the CAA changes and updates any regulations they will be updated and merged with official UK legislation. This information can be found at the following link:

https://info.caa.co.uk/uk-regulations/

The Easy Access Regulations can also be found on the above link then navigate to Aircrew -> AMC, GM, CS 1178/2011 -> EAR Part FCL.

Good luck with the training! Have you a PPL already?

Kind regards,

Richard
That’s really helpful, thank you Richard.

There also appears to be another time limit, being 7 years from the issue of CPL or IR to get your full ATPL - although I suppose if your going to get a job it’s probably well within the 7 years to allow you to get your 1,500 hours here.

As it happens I have recently passed my LAPL assessment, waiting for the licence. I’ll do a bit of hours building and then come back and do an upgrade to PPL. In theory should do most my hours this summer, perhaps and IRR too then look to start ATPLs this winter if all goes to plan.
By WelshRichy
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Hi Simon,

No problem at all. However, once you have your CPL and IR you can take as many years as you wish to obtain a full ATPL which requires at least 1,500 hours including 500 hours multi crew etc.

It is the validity of your IR that is crucial in this case. You must ensure you don't let its validity lapse for more than seven years. If you do then your ATPL theory credits will expire which means you'll need to re-sit all 14 exams if you later meet all ATPL requirements and wish to apply for licence issue. As long as you keep your IR valid or just let it lapse for say a year or two (or six!) your ATPL theory credits will never expire.

All the best for the PPL conversion and ATPL theory exams. I would wholeheartedly recommend the IMC/IR(R) as it improves your core skills and as long as you're taught correctly (try and ensure you're IR(R) instructor can teach the full IR) you're likely to save a bit of money on your full IR by going the CB-IR route in terms of the practical side of things.

Kind regards,

Richard
SH87 liked this