Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Fellsteruk
Hi,

Curious about the above, I attended a GASCO session this week was pretty good my first but really enjoyed it so much so I’m signed up for another next week.

Anywho, they provide a logbook endorsement was curious do people add these to their logbooks and if so where, do they go on a page which your hours so it’s in the right place in terms of date or within the notes section?

Thanks
By Aerials
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I've attended in person as well as the on-line sessions. I've been quite lucky in that the sessions I attended in person took place towards the top of logbook pages and the session assistants stuck the Endorsements on the pages for me before passing the logbook to the session leader for signature. That left a line or two for subsequent flights. My recent on-line one was stuck onto a page following the current one because there was only one flight entry line remaining. I've scored through those boxes and will add my next flight after the sticker on the next page.
It seems a waste of a line in a logbook but I like to keep events in a chronological order. I don't suppose there's any law or convention as to where you put them, or even add them to your logbook at all!
johnm liked this
By Rob P
As JAFO says, lay out your logbook as you like. There is no compulsion to have every line filled consecutively. Where a big stamp has been applied simply leave that space blank and put a line through the times As long as the totals of each column add up correctly you are fine.

Rob P
JAFO, Flyin'Dutch' and 1 others liked this
By T67M
JAFO wrote:
As long as the totals of each column add up correctly you are doing significantly better than me.

The number of arithmetic errors corrected when I went to an all-electronic logbook was scary.

I have also discovered that it's even possible to introduce arithmetic errors into an electronic logbook, especially post-aerobatic flights!
By Rob P
JAFO wrote:
As long as the totals of each column add up correctly you are doing significantly better than me.

This is the origin of the phrase "close enough for government work"

As I am always considerably over the required hours for year two I don't view precision as that worrisome. Though I must admit since the advent of online logbook calculators I am probably spot on most of the time.

Rob P
JAFO and 1 others liked this
By TopCat
Other than being able to answer the question "I wonder when I went to that GASCo safety evening?", is there any actual benefit of a logbook endorsement to the effect that you went?
I usually hoped it might be of benefit in an insurance claim or an AAIB inquiry. Maybe even after inadvertently putting a wingtip into someone's CTR (probably not that though).

The idea being to imply that you take safety seriously.
By Rob P
Yes, it makes your logbook look more interesting.

This one from Brooklands beats the GASCO one though. My favourite, back in 1995.

Rob P
Ben K, Hazel C and 1 others liked this
By Rob P
It's stuff like that which has kept me away from electronic logbooks. I know I could scan those sort of things in, but somehow holding the slightly dog-eared book(s) in my hand is a whole different experience.

Rob P
Ben K and 1 others liked this