Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

Looking for advice please. Can a student who has under gone training at a UK DTO pre-31 Dec 20, able to transfer their training record to an EASA DTO/ATO and continue training for EASA PPL. In other words I am looking to see if anyone has read that EASA will accept training hours undertaken in UK whilst UK was still in EASA? (Why?colleague moved to Europe with job and wants to complete EASA PPL). I presume answer is yes if pre-31 Dec and hours after, no.
tr7v8 liked this
This is one that will need to be discussed with the Aviation Authority of the country your friend moves to. If the Training had been with an ATO then Im pretty sure that the answer is "Yes". But I have personal experience of the UK CAA not accepting French DTO (my Aeroclub) training for a Night Rating onto my UK EASA PPL back in 2017* before I SOLIed. I was told that the training needed to be with an ATO to count.

Regards, SD..

*The rules may have changed in the last 4 years...
Hi SD,

Thank you for your time to respond. I am glad to say my experience in last couple of years is DTO v ATO in this type of case has not been the issue.
I agree regarding approaching the foreign authority that was my first thought too of course but then considered it would be great to quote references on first approach hence my approach to this learned forum with masses of experience and expertise.
My thoughts still stand, hours accrued whilst at a UK DTO or ATO prior to 31 Dec 20 should be transferable with proof of training record to an EASA DTO or ATO.
I am already based in EASA but my friend with half complete UK PPL has recently moved here.

If I have no joy from this forum I will advise my friend to write to aviation authority.

Best regards and thanks again for responding,

Fortis1
@Fortis1

I hope it works out for you. One thing I do know is that not every EASA country interprets EASA in the same way, so each EASA state will have different rules about what is acceptable. You might get a better response if you could indicate the actual countries involved.

Additionally, the https://www.euroga.org/forums forum has more posters based across Europe which may be able to help than this one, which is UK-based.

Regards, SD..