Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By AlbanFlyer
Hi everyone,

I hope you are all keeping safe and well, and more importantly counting down the days until you can get back out there!

I thought I’d say hello and introduce myself. I’m Rob, based in St Albans, and am now a few hours in to my PPL training at Elstree. I’m really enjoying it so far, although it’s been super frustrating during this lockdown period; it feels like what few skills I’d learned have now been forgotten! Can’t wait to back out there and dust off the cobwebs. I’d love to hear of any tips on how people have kept their learning fresh in the memory during this period. I’m worried I’m going to be back to square 1 (not that I was particularly far from there). Also, any other experiences or learning points from training at Elstree would be super interesting, and of course it would be great to meet any other like-minded folk in the area!

All the best,

Rob
T6Harvard liked this
By Charles Hunt
Welcome.

After a lay off I used to forget

1) Flaps (particularly as for the last 3 years I haven't needed/bothered to use them on my aircraft.)

2) Carb heat off on short final. But then again I do that pretty much all the time anyway.

Good luck!
T6Harvard liked this
By T6Harvard
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Welcome @AlbanFlyer !
There's a great bunch of students on here and some very helpful 'old hands' who generously offer advice and encouragement as we progress, as you will have probably seen.

I am very low hours, 7hrs spread out since last September due covid.....

My strategy, FWIW -

Practice all checklists, not just reading but doing the actions, and learn airborne ones by heart (also doing the actions for those). I have been taught that saying and looking is not enough, touch the components, instruments, switches, etc as you check/ensure/examine/. OK, so I look a bit nuts sitting in my kitchen going through the lists but, hey, if it helps muscle memory that's OK by me.

I was just getting to the stage when I felt confident doing the ground checks, as opposed to being an imposter, so I hope that it does come flooding back in mid-April :)

I did a mental pre-flight at the dentists last week, (as a patient, not the practitioner!), although I admit I had to start again a couple of times when I got distracted :mrgreen:

Have you started the theory yet?
I found Principles of Flight and Aircraft General to be really useful during initial briefings and in-flight.
Human Performance is straightforward and most schools will suggest you sit that first, as a confidence booster.
There is no legal requirement to pass Air Law before your first solo but many schools stipulate it so it's worth reading up the latest version.

Ah, that's another thing - have you registered with the CAA e-portal for the exams? So when your school thinks you're ready they'll be able to book you in for the first couple. I guess you probably have this covered.

Re-read the lesson theory and airwork from all you have done so far, and the next one or two lessons.

If you wrote summaries after each lesson, re-read those. I had forgotten the better bits and only remembered the poorer bits of lessons. Good to read back and see improvements as well as picking out things to work on!

Delve into the stickied posts on this Student forum, there are some excellent threads.

Finally, buy the mug that says 'I may look like I am listening to you but I am thinking about aeroplanes' :D
By AlbanFlyer
Thanks to both of you!

Yes, I’d seen there was lots of amazing material on here. Just trying to sift through it all!

@T6Harvard you sound as if you’re in a similar position to me, though a couple of hours ahead. Checklists are a good call - I’ve been wandering around muttering FREDA under my breath and getting odd looks from the wife, but I should get a better handle on the others (@Charles Hunt that includes Carb Heat!)

I’ve started the theory yes - I have Air Law and Operational procedures under my belt, the second of which was done on the new ePortal format, and will be doing Comms now that things are relaxing a bit (and as soon as my busy patch at work is over). I’d be keen to start Aircraft and Principles as there are times when I’ve felt like a bit of a donkey on some of the basic features of how engines work, for example.

I’ve been reading a great book - The Killing Zone - which has been fascinating and not nearly as terrifying as the title suggests. Would definitely recommend.

Already have the mug - though mine says Future Pilot. Reminds me every day why I need to keep up the day job!

Out of interest, what decision did you come to on training in a high wing vs low wing? I’m in the 152 and think I like having the clear visibility of ground references, but I don’t have a point of comparison...
editmonkey liked this
By Charles Hunt
High wing vs low wing?

Where is the wing on a Spitfire?

Seriously though, for training it really doesn't matter. They are all aircraft, someone had a sign-off (when they used to show at the bottom of each post) 'Real pilots will fly anything they can get their hands on.'

Unless your bank balance is sufficient to buy what you specifically want you will be governed more by what is available reasonably locally and what your flight school is using.

FWIW I started in the high wing microlight CT2k, then the 152, and finally in a Warrior. Being very tall, in a high wing I'm lucky if I can see anything other than a wing root to left and right, but as you have noted you get a better view of the ground.

Fly whatever you can.
By T6Harvard
Well done on the exams!

I'm in a 152, down to school availability. For me, as a hobby pilot, I feel that it's swings and roundabouts really, and whichever you learn on you will have a world of others to try later :mrgreen:

On a related note - As we are likely to be holidaying in the UK this year I am already considering staying somewhere close to flying opportunities :mrgreen:
By Rob P
AlbanFlyer wrote:
Out of interest, what decision did you come to on training in a high wing vs low wing? I’m in the 152 and think I like having the clear visibility of ground references, but I don’t have a point of comparison...

As others have said it's not really a decision. The priority is to find a school and an instructor that suit you, then take the cheapest aircraft that they offer.

That said I did it all wrong, many years back, and went to the only school in the area that was using PA38 Tomahawk as I liked the look of that aircraft. As it turned out the school and the instructors were excellent, I doubt I could have made a better choice, even though it was pure accident.

Good luck.

Rob P
johnm liked this
By Flying badger
I learnt in a 152 at Elstree. It's a good plane to learn in, it will make you a better pilot, but ultimately I went for a low wing as soon as I got the license. I prefer having a clear view of the sky above....makes me feel like I'm flying!
T6Harvard liked this
By editmonkey
AlbanFlyer wrote:Out of interest, what decision did you come to on training in a high wing vs low wing? I’m in the 152 and think I like having the clear visibility of ground references, but I don’t have a point of comparison...

Hey Rob - about to launch into my training too. It's really great to meet fellow students on here!

I'm doing mine in a PA38, the school posted a video on Insta of it taking off from the maintenance shed and it's got me (and the kids) very excited. Had a choice between that and the PA28 but latter was more expensive.

Congrats on the Air Law exam, going through that book now but think I might need to re-read it a few times. It's dense!!
By AlbanFlyer
Thanks @editmonkey ! And great to meet you. Hopefully we can keep each other going! I won’t lie, Air Law was pretty dense and now that we are out the EU I’m wondering whether some of it will become obsolete pretty quickly... However I actually found it ok to study for, instead I found Operations more of a slog to get through and the book not particularly helpful. I’m hoping that the material and exams get more interesting from here (albeit I recognise it’s all important).

Thanks everyone for the feedback on the high vs low wing (especially @Morten :lol: ). Seems like a lot of people took the same view as me which is comforting - find the right school and fly! My school has a 152, 172 and a PA28 so hopefully in (a long) time I will be able to experience the full suite. I’ve been lucky enough to do one of my lessons in the 172 already which was cool.

Now, I really must get back to Comms revision....
By ROG
A friend of a friend started to fly with me prior to lockdown--we did around 10 hours--landing at around 10 different airfields.
He"d got hooked and decided to get a PPL.-obviously no start possible
He"s kept in touch and told me that he"s bought a simulator--sent photos. Fantastic bit of kit compared to the one I had many years ago. From what he"s told me might be an idea for you to get. Don"t know the name but he uses it with microsoft.
If you haven"t got your R/T license yet suggest you read car number plates when out driving.--
come in useful for speed of memory