Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Fellsteruk
Hey,

Was just curious anyone got any firm dates from their schools of when they are getting back to training?

Looks like mine will be 2nd week in April but I’m at a brand new airfield so gonna need a few flights to get back in the swing of things. Fingers cross for lots of cavok days guys

Fingers crossed for everyone.
T6Harvard liked this
By Jammy888
Tatenhill have informed me they are waiting on guidance and regularly checking DfT advice.

Saying that they expect 12th April and that would fall in line with driving lessons resuming.

I suspect most schools would want to resume as soon as they can legally so I’d keep an eye on gov.uk
T6Harvard and 1 others liked this
By Nero
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
From the Biggin CEO:

“As I write this latest update for the newsletter, the Airport is picking through the governments roadmap to easing lockdown restrictions and trying to see when we might get clear guidance regarding General and Business Aviation. Through RABA and the AOA, the Airport is endeavouring to ensure we can influence the governments new global travel task force, which is due to report directly to the PM by 12th April. We hope that we might see significant easing of existing travel and flying restrictions by 17th May. In the meantime, we will continue to enforce only legally permitted essential flying.”

~ Scott
By T6Harvard
I *think* the 17th May relates to Commercial opening up.
Can't see how driving lessons can be OK but not flying lessons? So I'm pinning my hopes on 12th April.

If I get a lesson in before the end of April that'll make it 8 lessons in 8 months :(
I really don't want the record of longest time taken to get licence!

Stay safe fellow students.
By Fellsteruk
Don’t worry T6, I think a few will be fighting for

“ the record of longest time taken to get licence!”

April seems so far away but, hey what’s five/six more weeks... May would send me potty, well more potty than I already am. I just miss speaking to other people.

In a move to stay positive I just pre-ordered my new southern charts out at the end of March, let’s hope this one doesn’t gather much dust unlike the last :)
T6Harvard liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
As pointed out in the other thread, all dates are, "no earlier than".

It could be later, depending on the Covid situation at the time. The more people isolate and stay at home now, the earlier it'll be. However some areas of the country have seen rates increase in the past week.
JAFO, T6Harvard, TopCat and 1 others liked this
By T6Harvard
Paul_Sengupta wrote:As pointed out in the other thread, all dates are, "no earlier than".

It could be later, depending on the Covid situation at the time. The more people isolate and stay at home now, the earlier it'll be. However some areas of the country have seen rates increase in the past week.

Completely agree @Paul_Sengupta . My airfield are being suitably cautious in their outlook, as am I.
By Fellsteruk
T6Harvard wrote:Fellsteruk are you going to try out Merseyflight now they are at Hawarden?

Sure am, I’ve membership till October anyway as I was with them at Liverpool. My options was go to Hawarden with them or find a new school, a couple others at Liverpool and was briefly debating that given I’m located near Liverpool.

That said, I like the school, my instructor and being so far into my training I guessed it would be easier to adjust to flying out of Hawarden than to adjust to a brand new school and instructor.

The only downside is my 20min drive to the airport is now closer to 50mins however, the ground facilities are much better in hawarden, full ATC just like Liverpool, nice runway and generally pretty quiet every time I’ve been doing T&G’s as such very limited holding on the ground or orbits unlike Liverpool with it being so busy.

Landing fees and circuits also less than half the price of Liverpool so all things considered I feel things will be better.

Once I get my PPL I may review things as ravenair at Liverpool have a few more complex aircraft and I want to keep learning as I’d like to eventually get a share in an Arrow, I’ll be doing my IR(R) with merseyflight in due course so will be with them for the foreseeable fingers crossed.
T6Harvard liked this
By FlightDek
Fellsteruk, I got my PPL at Hawarden 6 years ago. Great place to learn. Full ATC but without the delays normally associated with an ATC airfield. Controlled airspace nearby to help build awareness of airspace limitations and practice zone transits but plenty of class G for learning in. Nice food at Chocks Away cafe (when it opens again)
T6Harvard and 1 others liked this