Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By editmonkey
Fellsteruk wrote:If the GP is getting funny put it in writing, ask for a sar “subject access request” they have 30days to provide your data from the day they get it if they fault to adhere you can go to the ICO.

Another option I’m currently fumbling through, install the NHS app and setup everything so you can access your full medical record.

You’ll have to get the GP to do something on their side but it’s easy enough although a lot of hoops to jump.

That said not sure how much or how little info is in your “full” history.

Thanks Fellsteruk - will give it a try!
By editmonkey
T6Harvard wrote:Oh no!

You are entitled to a copy of your records under Data Protection legislation (see https://ico.org.uk/your-data-matters/yo ... your-data/ )

So maybe ask for a copy, just of the relevant part of your notes, and ask your old GP to look over them and give a (short) report. Do you think he/she would be willing?

Maybe @flyingdutch will be able to advise what you can do if neither Doc will oblige?

Good luck!

Looks like I need to think about booking my medical, School just confirmed my lessons are indeed on for next week :mrgreen:

I think I've got my old GP's personal email still so I might drop him a wee line, just thought there might be some official way of getting a paragraph without having to go through a trial by fire.

Next week, that's exciting!! Mine too, supposed to be on Weds but the weather gods are playing silly buggers again. Keeping everythign crossed! :)
T6Harvard liked this
By akg1486
Really enjoyable to see and share the excitement with which the students are anticipating their next lesson! Sort of takes me back to my own training in 2003/4. (My own excitement went up and down over the course of the training, but you'll discover that when you get there if you haven't already. But the "ups" were more frequent than the "downs".)

With all the (partly justified) complaining going on in the GA community, it's so refreshing to see posts that only look at the future with happiness. May your flying careers, regardless of purpose, continue like that! :thumleft:

I've been flying some 30 hours per year since I got my PPL in 2004 and I've never reached the point where I'm not enjoying it. And I've made so many friends! Starting the PPL course may be one of the best decisions I've made in my life.
By FlightDek
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
editmonkey wrote:Tomorrow's the day! Is it going to hail, snow, rain or shine?

Yes!! All of the above :lol: :lol:
T6Harvard liked this
By T6Harvard
Well..... as tomorrow is MrT6's birthday I thought I'd better postpone flying until Weds. See? I do have a heart.

I checked the weather for Weds and it looks very promising except the wind direction is forecast ENE. Soooo, it seems likely that my first lesson after 4 months off will be T/O from the other end of the RWY and Gawd knows how I'll cope with the circuit!!

Do report back! I'll enjoy your flying vicariously, if you don't mind?!
JAFO, editmonkey liked this
By editmonkey
So, Captain's log: 13th April 2021

That was amazing fun. Took me about an hour to get through the checklist but once we were up I had control for most of the flight! It was a glorious day, sunny and great vis.

Flew their PA38 down to Whitby and she's feisty! Flying over the hills from Teeside it was like being on a bucking bronco, had some nervous moments as my shallow turns suddenly became quite steep but I quickly learned to go light with my grip and not fight her. Flew around Whitby and back up the coast practicing some turns, trimming for level flight, balancing with the rudder, a descent - basically getting familiar with the feel of it all.

A second nervous moment:

Instructor: Can you see the airfield?
Me: No.
Him: Hmmm. I'm sure it's there somewhere...

(FI humour :lol: )

And then I got to taxi it back. Very proud moment when he told me how relaxed he felt with me at the controls, thinks I'll get through it all no problem. :) Just wish I'd remembered to take some pics!

Next week can't come quick enough!
Last edited by editmonkey on Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JAFO, bladerunner911, T6Harvard and 1 others liked this
By T6Harvard
Glad you had a great time @editmonkey !
Sounds like you did plenty and had great scenery as an added bonus. Don't envy you the turbulence though. It got too hot in the 152 today and for the first time I felt a little uncomfortable for a couple of minutes. I'll put my report on my thread 'Lessons are go.'

Anyway, welcome to the ranks of the addicted 8) Just raise your hand and say 'my name is x and I wannabe a pilot' !
editmonkey liked this
By editmonkey
Hehe, I’m hooked for sure. Got my homework for next week (climbing and descending) which is interesting but frustrating because the books are far less fun than a yoke, and worryingly I’ve started thinking of my freelance work in terms of flying hours rather than food... :D
T6Harvard liked this
By editmonkey
Morning all. Have a few questions was hoping I could plumb your experience on:

I'm buying some supplies today. What essential bits of kit will I need to get through the first, say, 6 hours of flying so I can spread out the expenditure a bit?

I have a flight bag, my textbooks, my Tomahawk checklist and a logbook.

Can use the school's headsets but thinking of getting a used DC set.

Is a clipboard a useful temp substitute for a kneeboard?

I'm assuming whizwheels don't go out of date, so a used CRP-1?

Will I need a regional chart any time soon and is 1:500K scale detailed enough?

Assuming I won't need any software subs until I start doing nav.

God this week is DRAGGING. Spent my vaccine recovery day practicing the walkaround checklist on the bed yesterday. :)
By leiafee
editmonkey wrote:Is a clipboard a useful temp substitute for a kneeboard?

A permenant one as far as I’m concerned! That or a reporters notebook!

I'm assuming whizwheels don't go out of date, so a used CRP-1?

Definitely

Will I need a regional chart any time soon and is 1:500K scale detailed enough?

Def detailed enough. Even if you don’t it can be nice to have - I found browsing potential trips and planning them on the chart very motivating. Same with sodtware subs although theykre WAY more expensive and generally annual so I’d wait until the last possible date before splashing out.
lobstaboy, editmonkey liked this
By T6Harvard
I bought secondhand DCs from a forumite. I love them and have no need for ANR ones, I can hear my instructor's tone of voice perfectly clearly over the noise of the 152 engine with the DC H10 - 13.4s .

I have a secondhand kneeboard, but have not used it yet. I bought a 1:250,000 chart solely to practice reading it and looking at the area around the airfield. Hold off until the latest chart is published though! I think the 1:500,000 is due out at the end of the month.

Have you got a fuel testing kit? I was told I had to have my own rather than borrow from school.

Other than that, you may want a drinks can / coffee cup holder that says "I'd rather be flying" :lol:
editmonkey liked this
By editmonkey
Cool, thanks @leiafee and @T6Harvard !

I was reading your PDF today leiafee and it's really great, some fab info for the newbie!

T6Harvard wrote:I bought secondhand DCs from a forumite. I love them and have no need for ANR ones, I can hear my instructor's tone of voice perfectly clearly over the noise of the 152 engine with the DC H10 - 13.4s .

I've just found a pair and going to get them this week. Used a set on my lesson last week and was fairly happy with them. ATC was very mushy but may have been a combination of the volume on the set and the speed at which they were talking. It actually reminded me of my first work mentor. He was a BBC editor who was also a GA pilot. I always wondered how he was able to listen to video playback at x3 speed with total ease. Now I know!

T6Harvard wrote:Have you got a fuel testing kit? I was told I had to have my own rather than borrow from school.

Good shout, added to the list.

T6Harvard wrote:Other than that, you may want a drinks can / coffee cup holder that says "I'd rather be flying"

I'm assuming this one's for the car and not the Piper, right? ;)

Was going to ask about taking coffee on board GA aircraft but then saw this: https://www.newsweek.com/pilot-spills-coffee-flight-plane-controls-melt-atlantic-1458943 :shock: