Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

Hi all
I gained microlight rating post April 2018 cut off for LAPL, so am restricted to non part21 permit SSEA aircraft if I convert to SSEA.
I have held off for a few years hoping that the CAA would remove the part 21 restriction post Brexit, but nothing has happened and it is all very quiet on that front.
I am looking for a club/school to do the above training, preferably in Southern England.
I have a few schools nearby who could do the training but unfortunately they run part 21 aircraft so I wouldn't be allowed to solo or hire these aircraft post qualification.
So I am looking for a school who run permit aircraft so that I can actually use the rating once qualified.
I'm based in Southern Hampshire.

Thanks B1
Part 21 certainly isn't something I'd imagine the CAA are prioritising, when they know we are all grounded anyway! It would be pretty cruel of them to say "you can now fly them, apart from you can't!"
I am in exactly the same boat, making EXACTLY the same sort of enquiries as you right now.

Flight School Aviation in Deanland offers this, but I've also found Redhill Aviation:

https://flightsportaviation.com/
https://www.redhillaviation.co.uk/

I learnt at FSA and would recommend, but I don't know much about Redhill Aviation (although I'm likely going to go with them due to location).
Thanks all for replies,

Irv, yes keep checking AFORS for non equity permit aircraft, but would also need to get services of an Instructor and examiner. All near home.

Paul, yes I'm thinking the same, I have seen a 3 day intensive course advertised quite locally, however on pt21 aircraft so no solo post test.

Sooty, yes understand that, but this has been rumbling on for 2 years and affects quite alot of people, the CAA must know if they are going to change the structure, and could let people know what is innthe pipeline.

Flyingearly, deanland sounds ideal, however it's a good 1.5 to 2 hrs drive each way for me. But ticks All the boxes, the Sting looks nice. Redhill, though seem to only fly pt21 aircraft so you won't be able to rent or use the aircraft solo post test.

Ideally I would be looking L.O.S, Popham, Goodwood, Bournemouth or Blackbushe at a push.

B1
By Irv Lee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
B1engineer wrote:Thanks all for replies,

Irv, yes keep checking AFORS for non equity permit aircraft, but would also need to get services of an Instructor and examiner. All near home.

Get the ssea first (no p1), then move on to permit
JAFO liked this