Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

Hi everyone,

I'm just wondering if any of you on this forum have any experience of airline flying/ commercial flight training? If so, do you believe that airlines recruit pilots based upon the training structure (modular/ integrated) they decided to take?

Personally, I've read that some airlines encourage aspiring pilots to look towards an integrated scheme as they claim it'll make you more employable. However, I know of many modular pilots who have got jobs just as fairly and equally as integrated candidates.

If anyone has any experience, stories to tell or advice, I'd be really grateful to hear them.

Thanks guys, and happy landings! :D

Josh.
Hi Josh

I retired from airline flying about 3 years ago. All airlines need their pilots to have a CPL/IR or ATPL but whilst they might have a preference about how it was obtained, when push comes to shove, it doesn't matter.

When there are more pilots available than jobs, you will hear all sorts of reasons why this or that type of candidate isn't suitable, whether it's integrated versus modular, civvy versus ex mil, this school versus that school, young candidates versus more mature, degree versus no degree, etc

When they're short of pilots, almost everyone is suitable...

I obviously don't know anything of your circumstances so by all means take this with a pinch of salt. My advice would be to get a job (any job) which provides a decent income stream, then do your training via the modular route. Spend the least amount of money you can. Keep costs under control (including interest), the objective is to get into profit and make a return on your investment.

Have fun, it's a hell of a ride!
I think that apart from the occasional outlier, it doesn't really matter and the idea that integrated courses are preferred by airlines is largely a marketing ploy from those selling integrated courses.

I can't remember in my job searching every being excluded for being a modular student, although I think Flybe at one point did state a preference for integrated or 'one stop' modular, where all the post PPL flight training was completed at a single training organisation.