Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By IWF
Is it my imagination or is the Pooleys description of airspace almost unfathomable. I tried reading it for the second time this evening and again failed miserably the questions at the end of the chapter .

I’m not fairing much better at air traffic either. So many TLAs.

I was doing so well up to that point :(
By skydriller
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Is it not a case of "a picture paints a thousand words".
I always thought the pics on the german charts were good for structure and rules.
Does the skyway code not have something similar in it?
By johnm
Google "Skyway Code" download the PDF and scroll to page 62. Bring any questions from that and you should be able to get there with luck.
IWF, Flyin'Dutch', T6Harvard liked this
By IWF
Thanks The skyway code has a much easier description of the subject.

As I get older I find I often need a different viewpoint or author to be able to understand a subject. This is a good example
By Rob P
I think were I a student today I would be tempted to buy a hard copy of The Skyway Code. In the great scheme of training expenditure it's pretty much a drop in the ocean.

Rob P
skydriller, johnm, JAFO liked this
By johnm
I still have my Trevor Thom books though only for sentimental reasons, but they did the trick in their day....
UncleT liked this
By cockney steve
^^^^^^^^ Apart from air-law, they're still mostly valid today,- Physics, Meteorology and principles of piston-engines haven't altered that much in the last hundred years! The advent of GPS has finally been addressed by the CAA and Medical advances have given a slightly better understanding of Human Performance and limitations. I'm pretty certain you could still use your T.T's textbooks to pass today's exams (together with Skyway Code. ;-) ) - attend a Gasco safety-evening (free!) and get a free copy of Skyway-code.....when they start holding safety-evenings again, of course!
By Crash one
During training I once had a notion to build a 3D model of the terrain around an airfield with translucent boxes of the various bits of airspace above with their various heights etc.
Rather like the models of wartime targets (Dambusters) springs to mind.
Never got round to it.
By GrahamB
Crash one wrote:During training I once had a notion to build a 3D model of the terrain around an airfield with translucent boxes of the various bits of airspace above with their various heights etc.
Never got round to it.

Back in the day they used to have one of those in the Visitor Centre at East Midlands.
Crash one liked this
By Crash one
I think it may give students an idea of where it all is while trying to thread a model of a 152 through the unregulated gaps.
By IWF
Thumbs up for the Skyway Code. A much easier explanation than the Pooleys version even though it’s the same material. I think it was repeated use of TLA that was confusing , not to mention the difference between a zone and area.

Would like to see the 3d model though
By Highland Park
GrahamB wrote:
Crash one wrote:During training I once had a notion to build a 3D model of the terrain around an airfield with translucent boxes of the various bits of airspace above with their various heights etc.
Never got round to it.

Back in the day they used to have one of those in the Visitor Centre at East Midlands.

...and the Jaguar simulator at Coltishall...

Ian
By IWF
Thanks. I had a look at the Google earth overlay, but it lol rather odd. Nothing over LHR and huge bunch of objects to the west.

However in looking at the latest version of easyvfr v4. It would appear to be able overlay zone and areas over a given routing to give a visual outline of what’s going on.

I’ll get there I’m sure as long as I can remover the difference between a zone and area :)
By JAFO
@IWF - you may not have come across Skydemon, yet. It allows you to plan a route and see not only the plan view, as on a chart, but also the side view to show airspace.