Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

It just sounds like L3 wish you to be ready (at your expense) in case the training goes ahead? I imagine they’re unlikely to compensate you if it doesn’t! :roll:

Up to you to decide whether such expense is currently justified, bearing in mind Portugal is currently a ‘red’ destination due to it’s extensive travel links with South America!

Are you allowed to delay your training should you wish to? I doubt there’s any pressing imperative to equip yourself with a qualification when nobody is likely to be hiring for quite some time?
A4 Pacific wrote:It just sounds like L3 wish you to be ready (at your expense) in case the training goes ahead? I imagine they’re unlikely to compensate you if it doesn’t! :roll:

Up to you to decide whether such expense is currently justified, bearing in mind Portugal is currently a ‘red’ destination due to it’s extensive travel links with South America!

Are you allowed to delay your training should you wish to? I doubt there’s any pressing imperative to equip yourself with a qualification when nobody is likely to be hiring for quite some time?

I thought the same thing to be honest. Like you said. If I choose to extend I’m still liable to pay the academy. So that’s going to be a huge expense. Do you think they’d delay it maybe a week before we leave. They update on most things that happen around a week before
JAFO wrote:@Sammy dee - I've seen that you've asked the same question on at least two other threads.

I don't think that anyone is going to be able to tell you more than they already have.

I know. I’m just worried. I can’t really justify spending more on the instalments to delay it. And right now doesn’t even seem like a good time to go. Covid is pretty bad there ive heard. I’m not sure how they’re letting it go ahead
By Morten
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Not what you asked, but I'm not sure I see why, if indeed planning to become a career pilot is a wise career at this moment, the same would not be true in 12 months time. Save yourself the worry (and potential loss of cash) and find something else gainful to do for the next 12 months. It's not as if there is a huge demand right now which will have disappeared in 12 months' time.
L3 have their agenda and they need to keep some cash coming in, but you don't need to be the one providing it.
Morten wrote:Not what you asked, but I'm not sure I see why, if indeed planning to become a career pilot is a wise career at this moment, the same would not be true in 12 months time. Save yourself the worry (and potential loss of cash) and find something else gainful to do for the next 12 months. It's not as if there is a huge demand right now which will have disappeared in 12 months' time.
L3 have their agenda and they need to keep some cash coming in, but you don't need to be the one providing it.

I saved for 8 years so I really don’t want to give up at this stage. I just wonder if they’ll cancel last min. Or if anything thinks they will at least. Obviously training in the U.K. wouldn’t be as useful either so I doubt they’d do that
Totally agree with you there. I don’t even dispute what you say. I just wonder if they’re serious about putting us all through in March mid pandemic. Surely it would make sense to just say wait till this eases up. That’s why I was wondering if others are also going ahead or if it’s been postponed so I can prep myself.
Waiting til the prospect of a career at the end of your training has improved is not the same as giving up. There are many many qualified commercial pilots not flying at the moment - doing things like driving for delivery companies. I don't think you've saved for eight years to join them?
It should be your decision, not the training company!
JAFO, UncleT liked this
@Sammy dee - my feeling is that, in your position, I'd add another year onto the eight, save some money and wait it out.

However, you know your life better than we do. If you don't want to go, don't go. If you don't want to give them your money, don't give them your money. If you do want to do those things, do them and get on with making the most of it.
Morten liked this
Sammy

I really want to be helpful as I’m sure this is a really stressful time for you.

In truth you just have to ask yourself whether you want to start a course in Portugal in March? If you do, then go along with what L3 are suggesting. Hypothetically you might squeeze it through by the skin of your teeth.

However there may be very many reasons why you might consider it inadvisable at the current time?

You don’t need to look too hard to justify your decision to delay. Tell L3 under the circumstances it’s just not sensible to consider continuing at the moment. Just off the top of my head:

There are no direct flights between UK and Portugal. (Passenger flights are banned. Why do you think that is?)

It is illegal to attempt to leave the country unless you journey is essential. Your course can be postponed so it’s clearly not essential!)

You cannot enter Portugal unless your travel is essential. (See above)

Portugal is considered a ‘red’ destination by the UK due to it’s close links with South America, in which mutating versions of the virus are circulating.

The EU’s vaccination program is an utter shambles! Without any shadow of a doubt, they’ll be struggling with this virus for the rest of 2021.

Combined with...

I will be staggered if there are any flying jobs for new starters anywhere for a very significant time to come. Even flying schools are swamped now with airline pilots dusting off their FI ratings rather than driving for Tesco!

Look, nobody can or should tell you what to do. However this looks as close to a no-brainier as I can imagine. If L3 cause a fuss then they are just a bunch of ???

Look before you leap!

I just wonder if they’re serious about putting us all through in March mid pandemic. Surely it would make sense to just say wait till this eases up

They don’t have to have any intention of putting you through a course in March. They have no responsibility to be concerned about you.

They just want your money!

BTW, I think you just answered your own question?
Sammy dee liked this
Sammy dee wrote:Hi. Thank you so much mate. You’ve been really helpful. I really don’t want to go yet but they said I’ll have to pay the expected instalments if I continue and that’s not something I want to do at all. L3 haven’t left me any reason to assume training would be paused.

Not an easy situation to be in. If L3 make a fuss then they’re an utter disgrace!

Because my career as a pilot has taught me to be a bolshy sod, I would write them an email, stating that it is not currently legal or possible to travel to Portugal, and how do they intend to refund any payments you have already made?

I might also be tempted to ask whether they are taking advantage of any government financial support schemes! Because I’m sure HMG and the MSM would be very interested to hear of the pressure on you to pay up in the midst of a global pandemic!

I’m sure you will have read the L3 thread on Pprune. (I confess I haven’t!)

No single provider is the only game in town. Nor is any single route! Sometimes it’s better to cut your losses?? I accept I’m making huge assumptions now! Sorry.
Last edited by A4 Pacific on Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sammy dee liked this
They’ve specifically told me if I choose not to go now training will be delayed and I should pay instalments as required to extend my course. As this is travelling on a work based trip it’s not technically above the law to them

Honestly they’re hugely disorganised. I usually hear if plan changes around a week before. I wonder if they’ll postpone this. Admittedly I think they should.