Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

Sorry, I edited my thread just as you were posting to add this:

I’m sure you will have read the L3 thread on Pprune. (I confess I haven’t!)

No single provider is the only game in town. Nor is any single route! Sometimes it’s better to cut your losses?? I accept I’m making huge assumptions now! Sorry.

If it’s ‘work’ they must be paying you??? What precisely is the ‘essential’ nature of the ‘work’ you will be doing?

If it’s a course it can be postponed.

They’re having a punt. Don’t fall for it!

It’s crystal clear. As things currently stand you are prevented from travelling. That’s the law.

If you want absolute clarification, I imagine the Foreign Office may be a good place to start. Not L3.
JAFO liked this
Just found this change announced two days ago.

For those wishing to travel out of the UK

declaring reason for travel:

anyone who does not have a valid reason for travel will be directed to return home and may face a fine - the reason for travel will be checked

increased police enforcement:

there will be an increased police presence at ports and airports, fining those in breach of the stay at home regulations - anyone without valid reason for travel will be directed to return home and may face a fine

You are now required to actively declare your precise reason for travel.

Here’s the link:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/tougher-border-controls-to-protect-public-health

Ask the FCO (not the Portuguese embassy!) whether a course with L3 is a valid reason to travel. Then confirm with L3 they will pay any fine that might be incurred by you.

I’ve sent you a pm.
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Sammy dee wrote:
johnm wrote:Unless this is a course leading to a commercial pilot's licence forget it.

Yeah commercial.

I'd still be inclined to postpone and carry on saving up for the future...
JAFO liked this
By AndyR
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Sammy dee wrote:100% just can’t afford the cost

You seem to be saying that L3 will charge you regardless, indeed in some of your posts you suggest that they will charge you more if you ‘extend’ your course by delaying.

Am I right?