Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By IWF
Thanks again all

My situation is that like many I work from home current, but am in reasonable travel distance to Elstree. I’m over 50, so any medical will only last a year, but don’t anticipate failing it. But I don’t want to take it too early

My thinking had been to use the lock down to get a few theory exams out of the way, use my sim to try and understand some of the basics then get into the real air ASAP.

But the way the e exams seem to work is I need to sign up with a school first, and as many folk here have suggested it’s worth shopping around to find one that fit.

To me then these on line fronted services albeit with a proper school in the background might allow me to get a least a couple of exams sorted out.
By T6Harvard
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
@IWF , yes, as you have found we have to register with a flying school from the CAA list (just off the top of my head I've forgotten the 2 types!), so choosing a school and getting accepted by them is a crucial part of getting to sit the exams at their invigilated premises.

I, too, was keen to get a couple of passes under my belt - sense of achievement, confirmation that one can pass some PPL theory, etc BUT it is not possible atm due to the constraints you have outlined. More importantly it is not necessarily a good idea to sit them early because the clock starts ticking and in the present circs they may expire before we get chance to take the skills test. You are correct the sittings constraint has been removed but understandably there is still a time limit between passing theory and pass the skills test. It is also far better to do some practical learning to aid understanding, rather than just understand the concept, iykwim.

What we DO have is the chance to learn and find a level of understanding by studying the recommended theory books and reading widely around aviation. I am immersing myself in aviation biographies of all era, any aircraft, hair raising or otherwise. I reason that the more I read the jargon, the perils, the fun, etc, the more it embeds me in that world. I understand enough of the jargon and physics to make it interesting and I look up things I don't understand.

I've had 2 experience flights and 7 lessons. Two of the lessosn I had to repeat because I (was cruddy that day) didn't meet the objectives first time round :roll: I have done a lot of reading. I know that I know next to nothing but I do know a lot more than I did 12 months ago when I had an experience flight :mrgreen:

You will be able to pass the exams so although I absolutely feel the same eagerness as you we have to be patient :thumleft:

Oh yes....one final thought -

It is probably best to spend some time practicing saying "My name is IWF and I'm a student pilot" because it is very addictive :mrgreen:
By IWF
@T6Harvard

Thanks for the thoughtful reply.

A few years ago I start sailing big boats, ie not dinghies . There are many similarities with learning to fly, particularly if you the matters as far as yachtmaster. Nothing like as complex as flying and managing a plane, but nonetheless comparable. I’m certainly hoping navigation and meteorology should at least be familiar.

The learning of the theory of sailing is certainly comparable. There there s no requirement to work with a one school for the theory and another for the practical aspects.

I’m going to investigate the online schools a little more. I’d like to have Law and Ops under my belt before getting up in the air as it should give me less the think about when in the air.

I’ll report back
T6Harvard liked this
By TLRippon
T6Harvard wrote: You are correct the sittings constraint has been removed.

Just a note: There used to be a requirement to take all the exams in 6 sittings, defined as a visit to the exam centre. Each visit was defined as a 10 day period. It is still the case for the commercial exams. This rule no longer applies to PPL level exams. However the context of the way the OP mentioned this, I think there may be some confusion.
You can now go to the exam centre for however many visits you need to pass the exams. However you can only sit each exam 3 times to pass.
T6Harvard liked this
By T6Harvard
Yes, I meant PPL theory exams but good to clarify.

@IWF how I envy your nav and met experience. That's where I think I'll struggle. That and bejng heavyhanded on the controls :lol:
By IWF
@T6Harvard

I never understood Met, until I started using an app called Windy. You can visually see what’s described on the charts. At all Flight levels. Well worth a look. That said, the impact on flying is very different . Icing isn’t generally a issue for sailing for example
T6Harvard liked this
By T6Harvard
IWF wrote:@T6Harvard

I never understood Met, until I started using an app called Windy. You can visually see what’s described on the charts. At all Flight levels. Well worth a look. That said, the impact on flying is very different . Icing isn’t generally a issue for sailing for example

Thanks, will take a look.
By IWF
I gave PPL ground school a ring on Friday. Seems a professional crowd.

Firstly you have physically attend exams, at they offices near Duxford. They do indeed offer one week all in courses but only to those who have lots of experience. They’re currently offering remote training via MS Teams, 4 hours a day. Next course starts 8th March, so no short cuts.

Quite happy with my idea of doing one a week, though as you have to attend to take the exams it doesn’t quite meet my requirement. They won’t let you take an exam if they don’t think you’ll pass.

Good reviews though, and seemed ok
By condor17
IWF ,
Don't forget once you have taken the first exam , you have 18 months to complete all 9 .
Once the last exam has been taken , you have 24 months [ Exactly ] to get licence issued .. ie. 23 months to take your skills test . That's allowing 1 month for licence application and issue ...
Probably best to leave 1 exam open until approaching 18 month deadline , just in case ....

Does not sound restrictive , but in practice with life , work , weather etc. and C19 , we've had a few going to the wire .

hope that helps ,
rgds condor .
JAFO, IWF liked this
By David Wood
I would echo the points made previously that it's so important to understand the subject, not just pass the exam. To achieve that requires more than just bashing away at online tests because, whether intentional or not, that just teaches you to recognise the correct answers. You need to be talking to your FI or ground instructor.

I have long argued that the current processes for teaching and testing theoretical knowledge are not fit for purpose insofar as it is perfectly possible to pass all the exams and yet accrue very little useful knowledge along the way. I see it time and time again. That isn't helped by the system which insists on testing you for things you don't need to know, amongst the clutter of which the things you do need to know get lost.

Hey ho...
scd975, JAFO liked this
By QSD
I have been working hard during the lockdowns to prepare ground training briefs for the PPL exams subjects. I now have long briefs ready for most subjects. I’m still working on aircraft general and I have not yet started on flight performance and planning, but the others are ready.

There are two or three extensive PowerPoint briefs per subject and I anticipate delivering these on a one to one basis via Zoom. Hopefully face to face class room sessions will be possible in the future as well.

This is intended to be a service I offer my PPL students, but I’ll be happy to do it for other students if they want it. The new exam format prevents merely teaching for the exam questions, and I am trying to cover the whole of each subject as best I can. Not easy, so some pre-reading and home study will definitely be required as well.

There will be a charge for the briefings - it is my job and I have invested many hours in preparing the materials so I need some payback.

Pm me if you are interested.
cjrpaterson, Jon G4LJW liked this
By lcolman
MachFlyer wrote:
lcolman wrote:What I would say is don't bother with Ground School for PPL Theory.

How I did it worked for me:
- Get the Pooleys Air Pilots Manual full set of books
- Download an App called PPL Tutor

Now follow these steps:
    Read the Book for the subject you want to test (i.e. Air Law)
    Repeatedly do the mock test on PPL Tutor for the subject (i.e. Air Law)
    Take your test (i.e. Air Law)
    Move onto next subject and rinse and repeat (i.e. Meteorology)

Good Luck!

Would this approach still work with the new online exams. I don’t know but I would expect there would be a larger question bank for example?

I have no idea! I did mine on Paper (that ancient tech!)
By lcolman
skydriller wrote:
lcolman wrote:What I would say is don't bother with Ground School for PPL Theory.

How I did it worked for me:
- Get the Pooleys Air Pilots Manual full set of books
- Download an App called PPL Tutor

Now follow these steps:
    Read the Book for the subject you want to test (i.e. Air Law)
    Repeatedly do the mock test on PPL Tutor for the subject (i.e. Air Law)
    Take your test (i.e. Air Law)
    Move onto next subject and rinse and repeat (i.e. Meteorology)

Good Luck!

I would add between 1 & 2 :

If you dont understand something ask your instructor or on here. This is important, because though you need the right answer for the exam, you need to understand the subject matter to be a pilot.

Regards, SD..

Agreed - maybe I should have put more emphasis on the "Read the book" with a caveat in the form of "UNDERSTAND THE SUBJECT!"