Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

Another vote for buying a copy of The Skyway Code. Very useful quick ref for lots of air law, op procedures, and basic comms. It also has good illustrations to help fix stuff in your mind.

I've done a fair amount of studying using Pooleys and AFE books - well what else does a keen student do atm?? - but I take the Skyway Code with me to lessons for a quick read if my instructor is running (flying?!) late when I get there.

/ swot /
I used to have Pooley’s Manual 1 Flying Training as an ebook on my phone. If my instructor was running late I’d brush up again on the lesson he had advised me we were going to do next.

Edited to add: To the OP stick with it, I hadn’t done an exam for over 30 years when I started my flying learning and worried I would never pass. It turned out that when I got stuck into the books & mock exams I loved it and had no worries with the real exams when the time came.
johnm, T6Harvard liked this
The Skyway code is free to download, However, when GASCO start running their "safety-evening" lectures again, you can attend for FREE, - You don't need to be a pilot or a student, you DO get a nice plastic folder with a quick-check cockpit guide and several other useful bits and pieces, PLUS A FREE HARD -COPY of SKYWAY CODE. -Interesting talks, interesting guest-speaker and also a brilliant "Trig" keyring.
It would be churlish to not drop a note in the collection-jar, but a great low-cost evening. :thumright: :thumleft:
T6Harvard liked this
Ian, AIUI, the law changes a lot quicker than the exam does, therefore, they apparently accept the "current" correct answer, or the correct answer to the question posed. I suppose you'd get brownie -points by giving the "was" answer and the "now is" answer.

I don't hold and never have held a pilot's licence. I have a set of Trevor Thom's books and the only one with significant changes is Air Law. Physics and engineering, meteorology and navigation really don't change much.