Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By IWF
In approaching a PPL and with the medium term in mind, of the many aircraft flight schools have is there a preference which aircraft to learn in?

I’d assumed the trusty 152, but with it having only two seats, might I be better to learn in something with 4? So that once I did pass I’d feel confident taking more than one passenger in something I was very familiar with .

Or, given every other aircraft seems more expensive to hire, should I save the money and count in being easily able to convert?

Cheers
By rikur_
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I'd be tempted to choose the flying school, then the instructor, and then that will probably lead you to a preferred aircraft type.
I don't fit in 152 so learned initially in a Cherokee, then a Warrior, and then mixed in C172 for some high wing experience.
It was helpful to do the first 20 hours or so in the same aircraft, and then helpful to get some variety in the second half of my training.
Certainly worth getting a mix of high-wing / low wing experience ..... e.g. the first time I turned onto left base in a high-wing aircraft and realised I could no longer see the airfield was a surprise at the time!
IWF, JAFO liked this
By Rob P
What he said ^^^^^^

The school/instructor combination is the important part. The aircraft is very secondary.

That said I chose my school some thirty years ago as they were the only one on Wellesbourne flying PA38 Tomahawk. I was lucky, it worked out well for me. I know better now (But I doubt I could have found a better school)

Rob P
IWF liked this
By riverrock
Once you are qualified, you can get "checked out" on new types normally with an hour of instruction, so don't worry too much about that.
Some instructional aircraft will allow you to get lazy, especially when using your feet, and every aircraft is different, but unless your size / weight is an issue don't worry about flying a smaller aircraft now.
Ideally your instruction would include a range of aircraft, really to show you that all your basic skills will translate, but this is rare.
By Fellsteruk
I started many moons ago in a 152 and 172 but now I’m a Cherokee mostly because of my own mass :pig:

I agree with the other guys instructor is the main thing you could learn in a cirrus but if the instructor is a K$$$b it won’t work.

I’ve had a few instructors and once I found one I could have banter with and felt like I was learning and being challenged each lesson I stuck with him.

Once you have your license you’ll likely be flying different things
By johnm
As others have said the school and how it's run is paramount, that should ensure an instructor that you get on with and then anything with wings that flies will suffice.

After you have gained your licence you can join the debate about whether a stick is better than a yoke, whether the little wheel should be at the front or the back and whether the wings should be on top or underneath or both. :D
rikur_, IWF, T67M liked this
By ROG
John m is spot on,
I learned at a club where the instructors ranged from totally incompetent to excellent.
Before I ended up with the guy I got on with I had one who showed off --frightened my young lad who had come along for a ride--cherokee. Another one who never spoke--found out he was called "teach yourself Dave" Probably the worst one was the one who kept telling me how he went solo in 8 hours and he was so clever--never encouraged anyone--just told students that he learned that in x hours.
The guy I finally ended up with gave me advice on how to improve on my weak points . but always with some "that was a good landing "or similar.
Having done some lecturing myself I always praised the students and encouraged them.
If you get a duff instructor change instructors--I know it"s not always easy--but you"re paying for it.
johnm liked this
By Jon G4LJW
IWF wrote:.....might I be better to learn in something with 4? .....

Obviously the increased cost of a four-seater is a consideration. One advantage is increased comfort due to slightly more space - you are often literally "rubbing shoulders" in a 152!

Another point is the flying school four-seaters may be in better condition - cosmetically and otherwise, and make for a more pleasant experience.
By Sooty25
johnm wrote:As others have said the school and how it's run is paramount, that should ensure an instructor that you get on with and then anything with wings that flies will suffice.

After you have gained your licence you can join the debate about whether a stick is better than a yoke, whether the little wheel should be at the front or the back and whether the wings should be on top or underneath or both. :D

stick, tail, both or stick, tail, top or stick, tail, underneath. Sorry, did you suggest there was actually some other options?
T67M liked this
Not checked the whole thread, but whilst in principle club/instructor before aircraft makes sense, that may only work if you are of average or smaller size. At 6'6" and 100 kg (on a good day) being able to fit in the a/c and have a diminutive instructor to keep the whole plot legal and within W&B was an over-riding consideration for me.
IWF liked this