Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Baldrick
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Reading ILAFT in January’s Pilot mag, (I do subscribe to both Flyer and Pilot). It was about not paying up front to flying schools. As in these troubled times the possibility of them getting into financial difficulties before you finish a course is a possibility and if they do you won’t get your money back.
I noticed when looking at the major distance learning establishments, they all require full payment up front for courses costing several thousands of pounds, I would definitely feel more comfortable with a school that offered pay as you go courses.
By Rob P
As long as you pay up front by credit card you will be recompensed under Section 75 if it all goes to worms.

Rob P
Baldrick liked this
By Morten
Baldrick wrote:[...] major distance learning establishments [...] costing several thousands of pounds

Have I missed out on something? Which aviation courses costing thousands of pounds are done via distance learning? I'd say that any ground school costing that amount of cash is probably not worth it to begin with, nevermind their payment terms?
By GrahamB
Morten wrote:
Baldrick wrote:[...] major distance learning establishments [...] costing several thousands of pounds

Have I missed out on something? Which aviation courses costing thousands of pounds are done via distance learning? I'd say that any ground school costing that amount of cash is probably not worth it to begin with, nevermind their payment terms?

ATPL/CPL/IR courses presumably.
Baldrick liked this
By Morten
I guessed that, but even so, thousands of pounds for distance learning? As I understand it, there is no requirement to actually take a course and you could just home study?
Good for them if they can get it!
By Baldrick
Bristol Ground School ATPL package is £2400 plus revision weeks.
I must admit I did home self study for all but comms for the PPL. But the ATPL/ CPL and CBIR do require CAA approved classroom or video link training time.
Morten liked this
By Morten
I didn't know that. How many hours are required 'taught'?
One year part time on an OU degree course is around £3,000, so I guess this is similar...