Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By riverrock
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
and slightly zoomed out (again from Sky Demon), presumably showing suggested entrance / exit lanes:

I'm very surprised they don't publish a map on their website if they expect people to follow this.
By IWF
@Morten

Thanks, that’s exactly what I was after, and I see what you mean about the trees. Flying with a VR headset in the latest of MSs flight sim certainly brings home the feeling of the visuals. Can’t wait to get up and try it for real. Might even take the pc kit up there for others to try.
By IWF
@Morten

Thanks, that’s exactly what I was after, and I see what you mean about the trees. Flying with a VR headset in the latest of MSs flight sim certainly brings home the feeling of the visuals. Can’t wait to get up and try it for real. Might even take the pc kit up there for others to try.
By GrahamB
Magenta = departure routes.
Pale Green = helicopter routes arrival/departure lanes and circuit.

The FW circuit is conventional (according to the briefing material).
By Morten
It is conventional, yes, but the do not overfly areas are still applicable. In reality, apart from making the circuit oddly shaped and large, it's not much of an issue as there are easy visual ground features to follow/avoid. The potentially most difficult 'gotcha' is after descending deadside over the lake then threading between the villages to join downwind.
Ironically, the Bentley Priory home for the well-heeled elderly has 2 Spitfires proudly presented on the driveway and an on-site BoB museum but are not keen on being overflown by lesser aircraft. :? But you can buzz the Jewish cemetery to your heart's content...

Just like anywhere else, local knowledge is important; if you don't have it, try to glean it from a PPR call and/or perusing the website. Sadly the Elstree website is not as useful as it should be.
By riverrock
GrahamB wrote:Magenta = departure routes.
Pale Green = helicopter routes arrival/departure lanes and circuit.

The FW circuit is conventional (according to the briefing material).

Apologies - yes.
See key on last page of https://www.skydemon.aero/help/manual.pdf

There appears to be a microlight circuit on the map, which I'd confused with the fixed wing one.
By TopCat
leiafee wrote:<stares at map> That’s not a circuit, that’s an abomination.
:shock:

Although that made me LOL, in fairness that's not the circuit, it's the arrival and departure routes.

The circuit is oddly shaped, but not an actual cross-country.

Talking of things being annoying, is there a reason so many people upload images that are absolutely enormous?
By riverrock
If your comment is to me, that is a straight upload from my phone with the appropriate part cropped - I don't have a quick way to shrink such an image.
When viewing it, it autosizes to shrink to the width of the screen (looks fine to me on my phone).
By IWF
@Morten

I haven’t made up my mind yet, as to which school to join. There’s quite a few based there. I’d love to get out and have a few trials. It seems unfair to ask for opinions here.
By Rob P
Well I have had a few (simulated) circuits of Elstree and it is pretty simple to fly the noise abatement thing (I hesitate to call it a circuit) by eye. That lake is a great help. Not even in my student days could I miss that. Well maybe once in a while. :oops:

Here be a slightly draggy approach on that offset final for 26

Hate the 152 by the way. :evil:

Rob P
Morten liked this
By Morten
Blimey. Those people at Letchmore heath complaining about the noise from the airfield would do better to complain about the apartment blocks which seem to have appeared on their front lawns! The game has managed to capture the sorry looking state of the runway though. The wonky approach lighting not so much ;)
Last edited by Morten on Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Rob P
Anything seen from an overhead view is pretty accurate, anything that needs a side elevation view will always be pretty random, but I think I did see the Tall Building on one extended circuit.

Rob P

Take a look at Old Buckenham's patchwork runway.