Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By IWF
Is there a guide available that describes how a circuit is flown at say EGTR. I’m planning a PPL there as soon as the restrictions lift and in the meantime am using MS FS 2020 to practice circuits.

Accepting all the restriction of flightsims I still find them useful, but not having ever flown a circuit at Estree can’t work it out. I know from other circuits you general know that you should turn left at such and such road,, farm, lake etc and avoid flying over x. The web site mentions some no fly zones, but nothing else

In looking at another local aerodrome, EGTB someone had uploaded a google earth fly through describing the right hand circuit for runway 24. Very useful.

Cheers
By GrahamB
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
@OP - this is the student forum, so this advice is being offered as kindly advice rather than criticism, but it's really annoying when people refer to airfields by their ICAO codes. We don't all know them all off by heart, and a reader shouldn't have to go and look it up so they know where you are talking about. :thumright: :D
Rob P, JAFO, Highland Park and 3 others liked this
By riverrock
In a flight sim I suspect you are trying to do circuits based on ground features, instruments or a map.
In some places, due to noise sensitivity, there will be a fairly fixed ground track for circuits. However for most you are instead taught to base your circuit on angles from points on the runway. That's pretty hard to do in a sim, although I've not tried with VR goggles.
During your training you'll find that it isn't just flying a particular track but also dealing with radio and checks.
By JAFO
@IWF - learning a circuit with reference to ground features isn't always useful. It is often better - unless local restrictions mean that there are areas to specifically avoid - to fly a circuit with reference to the runway, that way you only ever have one circuit to learn.
Kemble Pitts, flybymike liked this
By Rob P
I recall there's something on long final from the East called "The Big Building"

It seemed to me a pretty vague description of where the ATSU wanted me to report, but when it appears there's no mistaking it.

This was on my one and only visit when they very generously suggested there was nothing to prevent me flying a straight-in.

The caffs nice.

Rob P
By PeteSpencer
It p*sses me off when local landmarks are slotted into approach/landing instructions:

On one of our US jaunts Keef and I inbound to North Las Vegas apt at dusk asked if we could fly the Strip before landing.

Sea of sparkling lights ahead: McCarran just over there.....

Massive hotel blocks/office blocks everywhere....

ATC: 'sure, no problem, turn right at the Bank of America building..................'

Hasty referral to approach plates followed by b*llocking for not finding the Bank of America building. :roll:
By AndyR
JAFO wrote:@IWF - learning a circuit with reference to ground features isn't always useful. It is often better - unless local restrictions mean that there are areas to specifically avoid - to fly a circuit with reference to the runway, that way you only ever have one circuit to learn.

That won’t work at Elstree. Sometimes you’re lucky to see the runway you’re so far away.
JAFO liked this
By IWF
Apologies all, I’m new to this lark, and assumed that how pilots spoke. Yes, I trying to reference things by the map, but at Wycombe that’s how it’s explain , because of noise abatement procedures. I know there at least one at Elstree suggesting a straightforward pattern can’t be flown.

I thought someone from around there might have known

Apologies all
By Paul_Sengupta
It used to be that for 26, you flew out by the M25, then a base leg which took you to the "golf course". This was on about a 4 mile final. You then reported the "tall building" which is at about 2 miles. When climbing out from 26, you turn crosswind to stay inside or over the railway line and then head out to the M25 again.

I think all this has been dropped now and there's a standard circuit, but I'm not 100% certain without looking it up.
By marioair
controversial but I would avoid trying to learn anything related to visual flight using a home sim. you'll just pick up bad habits!

Use it to learn checklists, systems, avionics, radio nav, by all means. but unless you have a force feedback yoke you may do more harm than good
By Morten
As you start your PPL, and especially so at Elstree, you will learn about 'noise sensitive areas' which should not be overflown. Therefore, although 'normal' circuits are the norm, quite a few places will have modifications to those circuits to avoid overflying the local church, village or retirement home.
Rather sadly, the pilot briefing available here: https://393e0b51-0411-43e7-b3b5-bf636c6 ... 6de991.pdf only includes a textual description of where not to fly and not an actual map showing it...

Skydemon (other apps are available) helpfully shows the non-fly areas around each airfield when you zoom in. For Elstree those are the red bits below:

When you start your PPL your instructor will certainly show you and probably has it pinned to the wall. They do have some very vocal complainers and to help manage that, some years ago they made instructors fly with GPS trackers so that they could, in hindsight, prove whether or not the instructor had flown (allowed the student to fly) where he should not have. Not sure whether they still do...

With the slightly awkward neighbours, the short runway and the trees on short final for 26, the busyness of the circuit (fixed and rotary wing) on a good flying day, you can safely say that if you can successfully learn to fly from Elstree you will be allright in most other places.

Good luck with your PPL :thumleft: