Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By IWF
I noticed those buildings too :). The circuit could read ‘stay away from those awful buildings’ :) it’s simply the way MS generates buildings from the data it has. There’s a promised UK fix in its way which will fix many of those type issues.
By IWF
@Morten

Ok I’ll bite, recommendations for flight training at Elstree? Vicky at flyers flying school at least responded to my email as did Flight Training UK.

Prices seem to vary too, quite considerably
By Morten
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
There are lots of schools at Elstree and I've not heard anything bad about any of them.
You would probably enjoy trying a couple (with different aircraft to get some variety) and getting a feel for the school and instructors.

As it happens I did my PPL with Vicky/Flyers (Adam was my FI) and I'd happily recommend them again. I also continued flying with them, renting their aircraft for a couple of years - in fact until last year when I moved down south. So I continued flying with them for the IR(R), night rating, G1000 rating etc. (sadly no tailwheels at Elstree, I had to go elsewhere for that).
At the time I found that the hourly rentals from Vicky were below average cost. (I also had a good deal as I rented more than 50 hours/year). I felt that she paid the instructors more than average (a good thing in my book). Hence an hour with instructor was slightly above average.
I tried 2 other schools (not at Elstree) before I ended up with Flyers, basically because I got on with Vicky and Adam. You will be sitting next to the guy/gal for quite a few hours in a small, noisy, uncomfortable space, so it's a good thing that you get on with them. I also liked the fact that I got 'my' FI and didn't swap and change.
Rob P liked this
By Rob P
Just in case the OP hasn't picked it up elsewhere.

It's never a bad idea to take a number of trial lessons. This way you get to sample the various styles of competing schools.

If this is the plan, it is a good idea to buy a logbook in advance, and get each of the schools to sign off your flight.

This has two advantages. You don't lose an hour or two that might be useful later on, and also it is a demonstration to the school that you are a serious prosepct, rather than a 'Can we look at my house?' joyrider.

Rob P
By ArrowStraight
The circuit patterns at Elstree are definitely not standard. They are precisely defined and not even rectangular. A plan of them is in the tower (but there is no access during the current restrictions) and each Club or School at Elstree has a copy, since we are expected to fly them accurately to appease the neighbours.

We actually take our students elsewhere in order to teach correct circuits, often for the initial circuit sessions.
By Rob P
It wasn't flyable that day so I had to use an MSFS preset.

Live weather is fully functional now.

Rob P
By Rob P
I think that's first stage

EDIT: FS glitch. Perfect seen from inside the cockpit but they don't appear to function in the external view

EDIT #2: Deployed flaps seen as you move closer to the aircraft in external view as seen in today's version (with live weather). Yes I did make it down from there, but it wasn't pretty.

Rob P
Charles Hunt liked this
By Rob P
The new Microsoft one is pretty good, but it is basically a very attractive game rather than a learning aid. Maybe I just have a rubbish joystick, but the lack of any feedback through fingers and bum takes away most to the inputs I (VFR pilot) use day to day.

Another issue is that the scenery is so good you really don't want to confine yourself within the cockpit where you can hardly see anything of the outside world. Better to tour the globe in external view. I have spent a lot of time around Hawaii, and also flying the Thames through Central London. Top tip here, you can't emulate Flt Lt Alan Pollock :(

For students, I envy them the ability to practice their cross country flights, what I wouldn't have given for this all those years back.

Rob P
By IWF
@Rob P have you tried the virtual reality version.

It’s a game changer to me. You can actually lean out of the window to see how close you are to the ground. My landings have never been better. Braking too quickly nearly made me vomit m the first time it happens . I don’t like it so much with the big jets, but with a decent yoke and throttle quadrant GA planes are great.

It’s not perfect by any means but I can’t wait to see how VR reflects the real world , or the other way around !
By Rob P
IWF wrote:@Rob P have you tried the virtual reality version.

No, but as mentioned I am usually in external view so I can't see that it would gain me much. Certainly not enough to warrant spending money that I can pour into the wings of the RV on computer hardware.

Your priorities change when you own an aircraft. :D

Rob P
AndyR liked this