Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By TLRippon
Rob P wrote:
T6Harvard wrote:I am very unlikely to be PIC for a flight abroad,

I have a couple of friends who would like UK day trips

Just to point out that Calais takes me 40 minutes, Le Touquet 50 from Norfolk. Both are an easy day trip. So don't write off taking your friends to lunch in France as well as UK destinations. They are actually not particularly challenging flights, but the feeling of accomplishment the first time you do it is huge

Rob P

Rob, you have one of the fastest light aircraft.

Leicester to Calais in the 152 is 1:30 block to block, which is how renters are charged.
By IWF
Just as a matter of interest, apart from the challenge what did you do when you got across the channel.

A quick coffee in the airport cafe, or a walk into town, a leisurely lunch ( without wine) then back in Blighty for tea?

I could see the attraction of an overnight stay, well certainly my dear wife would, but not a quick cuper surely.
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I have done day trips to Northern France but also cleared customs at the coast and headed onwards.
By Rob P
IWF wrote:Just as a matter of interest, apart from the challenge what did you do when you got across the channel.

A quick coffee in the airport cafe, or a walk into town, a leisurely lunch ( without wine) then back in Blighty for tea

Calais on a day trip gives you a couple of choices. The improving airport restaurant is very French and not bad at all. Certainly better than most in the UK, and more to the point it's French food. A short walk into Marck is a great little brasserie, but weekdays only. There is a free bus into town, but spending as long on the bus as in the aircraft feels a bit counter productive. Supermarket in Marck too for a few bottles.

At Le Touquet the town is more convenient so lunch there, paddle in the sea and then back via the compulsory choclatier is the usual form.

Of course overnight stays are preferable, but for a day trip to share with your friends I'd opt for Northern France any time.

As pointed out my aircraft is a bit faster than your average rental hack, but equally, I'm not in the South of England.

Rob P
johnm liked this
By JAFO
@Rob P - I think it only fair to point out that I hate you.

I have been flying, on and off, for 35 years this year; more off than on but, nevertheless, 35 years. I have an NPPL which I got in 2004 and a LAPL which I added on later. Nowadays, I fly on a PMD and I have always been more than happy just bimbling around in the UK. I didn't think I needed more of a licence, I didn't think I needed a big boys medical, I was happy.

Then you came along with your tales of lunch in northern France and trips to the brasserie and choclatier and now I want to do that too. That's why I hate you. :wink:

JAFO
Rob P, T6Harvard, Miscellaneous and 6 others liked this
By Rob P
JAFO wrote:
Then you came along with your tales of lunch in northern France and trips to the brasserie and choclatier and now I want to do that too.

You're on! As soon as the world is put to rights there's a RH seat waiting for you. (Probably shortly after Mrs P has had her visit)

Rob P
Miscellaneous, T6Harvard, JAFO and 1 others liked this
By JAFO
Rob P wrote:You're on! As soon as the world is put to rights there's a RH seat waiting for you. (Probably shortly after Mrs P has had her visit)

That is exceptionally kind of you and if you truly have space for a calorific overachiever such as myself, I will gladly accept and even buy lunch.

johnm wrote:@JAFO You'll hate me even more :lol:

That's a given. Especially as I no longer hate Rob and you haven't invited me to lunch in Alderney. :wink:
johnm liked this
By johnm
..... you haven't invited me to lunch in Alderney

Consider yourself invited and you can fly the TB20 RHS if you like :-)
By JAFO
Rob P wrote:You're on! As soon as the world is put to rights there's a RH seat waiting for you. (Probably shortly after Mrs P has had her visit)

johnm wrote:Consider yourself invited and you can fly the TB20 RHS if you like :-)

That's very kind of you @johnm, I would love to.

Now, is there anyone else out there who needs hating. :D
By Rob P
JAFO wrote:
That is exceptionally kind of you and if you truly have space for a calorific overachiever such as myself, I will gladly accept and even buy lunch.

Well with a respectable amount of fuel on board, say 2.25 hours no reserves, 19 stone would be the weight limitation.

The issue with the better-built passenger is stick freedom of movement. We must try a fitting.

Rob P
By Iceman
@IWF, I feel ‘guilty’ in that respect :lol:. So I extend the offer of a flight to you once we’re out of this lockdown lark and can get to France or the Channel Islands again. Aircraft would be TB20 GT, Maule or a twin.

I have over 110 flights to Le Touquet for lunch, but like many here, venture throughout Europe. We’ve been up to Svalbard near the North Pole in the depths of winter, and 2019 saw us crossing the pond to the US for Oshkosh. Of course, once that you’ve got your licence, flying in the US is a must :thumright:.

Iceman 8)
JAFO, IWF liked this