Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By David Wood
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
cotterpot wrote:
Picking up on a sub-theme, there are three (or four) likely reasons why it all suddenly goes quiet on the RT

4 - Battery goes flat - (alternator fails) :thumright:

Sure, there are any number of possible reasons but in my experience the three I've listed are the most common for students and/or relatively low-hour pilots.
By FlightDek
cotterpot wrote:4 - Battery goes flat - (alternator fails) :thumright:

5 - mucking up the audio panel that had separate mic and audio selectors. I got confused at Liverpool and sat at the hold transmitting to Ground that I was ready for departure, but was listening to Tower. After 3 attempts I had a good look at the Comms setup and spotted my mistake :oops:
By rich_g85
T6Harvard wrote:I found it very informative, and also a good illustration of ATC being very supportive.

One of those ATCers is me, under training, some time ago now but I still remember that event as if it were yesterday.
T6Harvard liked this
By Iceman
A lot of the more modern radios, especially those that form part of an IFR panel-mount GPS, have a stuck-mic feature, whereby they will shutoff transmission after 30 seconds of continuous transmit.

Iceman 8)