Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By T6Harvard
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Fellsteruk wrote:Calm down calm down...

:lol: :lol:

MrT6 is a scouser. Met him at Uni quite a few (!) years ago and I still need an interpreter sometimes!
By T6Harvard
@andynxn are you thinking that we may be banned from flying this coming week??

I know there are worse things to worry about but as this is an aviation forum I shall post about possible lack of flying lessons.
By Fellsteruk
That’s funny where you from? Is it accent or sayings that get you.

I think we’ll all be grounded till December to be fair but I was having a heated debate with the wife that schools are still open and it’s technically a school so should stay open.... who’s with me?
T6Harvard, JAFO liked this
By T6Harvard
MrT6's accent only re-appears when he returns from visiting family in L'pool, or when watching a footie match :mrgreen: We've lived elsewhere for a long time and he's mellowed :lol:
It's the phrases that get me. For example "He'll get down the banks when he gets home" seems to mean that someone will get a right telling off later!?
And he doesn't 'run errands' he 'gets his messages' (which I thought was a Scottish turn of phrase). When I first heard that I thought he must be clairvoyant!!

It's odd to me 'cos I'm posh, see :D

Oh yes! Definitely a school, yessiree.
By Rob P
Yes, but who wears the kecks?

Rob P
T6Harvard and 1 others liked this
By Fellsteruk
He wears them but she tells him what colour..... am I right R kid?

it’s funny coz there is Some regional differences from north and south Liverpool, I’m south and she is north and it’s amazing the amount of times we’ll say to each other what ya talking about... “no I have never heard that before” she thinks she’s posh coz she from north Liverpool.
Rob P, T6Harvard liked this
By Nero
Welcome to the student club :) and good luck with the weather and lockdown! If it mucks it all up, make sure you keep the ball rolling and get your exams done

~ Scott
By T6Harvard
@andynxn

Sorry for hijacking the thread! Those of us scousers by nature or by marriage haven't even asked YOU if you speak the lingo.

Back to flyjng....well studying -

@Nero is right, studying is a good idea while we are forbidden from flying.
I registered with the e-portal a few weeks ago to set up as a student* for taking exams but I forgot my password! Tapping password reset has never produced the expected auto email. I gave up yester and emailed them asking for it. I know....doesn't bode well for passing any exms, does It?!
* have had email to confirm registered but not been able to add ID yet.
By MachFlyer
Fellsteruk wrote:He wears them but she tells him what colour..... am I right R kid?

it’s funny coz there is Some regional differences from north and south Liverpool, I’m south and she is north and it’s amazing the amount of times we’ll say to each other what ya talking about... “no I have never heard that before” she thinks she’s posh coz she from north Liverpool.

She is right :lol:
T6Harvard liked this
By andynxn
Haha not looked at forum since Friday, lots of responses..... Thank you for the warm welcome.
Good to see everyone in high spirits, no im not a true Scouser sorry, originally from Wales and now married and live on the Wirral. But know of the lingo if that helps haha.

Unfortunately its not just Liverpool locked down now... Yes im studying what i can when i can. Just hoping the flying not going to stop to long, its all i think about. Have just bought the pedals and yoke for computer. So can try practice getting at least the taxiing on the lines...
By T6Harvard
Ah, a fellow woolly-back :D

Totally get that is all you think about. Me too!
Taxiing - my first effort was, well, fairly rubbish. The thing is though, I knew I could get the hang soon enough. Second time, not too bad at all. Need to convince instructor I can keep straight for a decent distance because then I get to taxi on the the runway and then..... take off.

Sooo hoping both my lessons this week go ahead but Tues looks too breezy at lesson time. Weather obsession is, of course, part of the problem once the aviation bug bites.
By andynxn
T6Harvard wrote:Sooo hoping both my lessons this week go ahead but Tues looks too breezy at lesson time. Weather obsession is, of course, part of the problem once the aviation bug bites.

Yes me too, i have a lesson booked Saturday, and then Monday. Which school are you in?
Ive not committed with any package, thinking of going to go Pay-as-Go at moment, but Liverpool fee's have jumped for landings and touch and gos.
Ive got my Medical beginning of December, if my ticker can not get white coat syndrome i can then invest properly and go full steam ahead.

So whats best books / online resources for the theory? Considering doing a week long course but also dont want to be rushing the learning, but i learn better when some exlaining things rather than me reading over and over because my brains starts to think of something else.

Hope we all dont get stopped due to the new lockdown...
By MidlifeCrises
Good idea getting your medical sorted ASAP. The Class 2 isn't hard, it's similar to what HGV drivers have to pass I believe.

The main PPL books seem to be the Pooleys and the AFE/Jeremy Pratt books. They're all available for a few quid on eBay, I wouldn't worry too much about getting the very latest edition. So far, I prefer the AFE books if only because they're physically bigger (diagrams are a bit clearer) and the writing style is more to the point.

I'm only 5 hours in myself and am gutted that flying is probably going to be stopped for November, but at least we can get ready to take a few of the exams in December.