Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By andynxn
Hi All,

New member here and also a new PPL starter. Ive had two lessons so far and absolutely love every minute of it. Its been something i have wanted to do from even before i could drive, but money was the limiting factor. Hitting the big 40 this year has made me get going. Im based up North near Liverpool so am starting there with a school. Its all new at moment and lots to take in, already dreading the radio calls, i get my words mixed up at best of times...
Love the forum and reading about everyone's adventures and progress, so i hope to be able to share mine and pick some of your brains often.

Andy
ArthurG, Rob P, Morten and 5 others liked this
By Rob P
Welcome!

Just remember that in the Student Forum there are no stupid questions, ask away however trivial

We were all there once

Rob P
By Morten
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Glad to hear that tier 3 won't stop you flying :D :thumleft:
There is also no obligation to ask stupid questions... feel free to just drop by and let us know how you're doing :wink:
Have fun :thumleft:
By T6Harvard
Welcome in Andy!!

I have lessons 3 and 4 booked next week. It is totally addictive.

Did anyone tell you you get homework??! Not just for the exams, for each lesson. Nope? Me neither. I'm loving the theory as well as the flying and I am amazed at how much the instructor gets you doing from the word go (or should I say, from the words 'Clear prop'?!)

Do post plenty of details of what you do and any questions. We all learn so much on this thread.
By johnm
Remember that learning is flying it's not just a means to an end (the "end" being a PPL) and once you have your PPL there's yet more to learn and enjoy. The book work was, for me, almost as interesting as being in the air and it's a very important part of "airmanship" and it's not weather dependent :D
T6Harvard, leiafee liked this
By tr7v8
Me, 8:20 in on 8 lessons, the one this week was canx'd as the weather was pants. Currently since Sept. had a 40ish % canc rate mainly due to weather.
Also done 3 exams & passed, Aircraft Knowledge this afternoon @ 14:00
Get stuck into the books so you don't leave the exams until the last minute.
Enjoy it!
By T6Harvard
Good luck with the exam!

I still haven't been able to register on e-portal.
Will try again later on a different platform *sigh*
By tr7v8
Thanks, just going to RCS for a full English in the Cafe & sit & revise until the exam at 14:00. Will report back later.
Login is appalling, very badly written & not intuitive. I struggled and I work from home, in IT on a laptop all day!
T6Harvard, editmonkey liked this
By tr7v8
Didn't do the Full english today which is great & only 7 quid including a cuppa. Did the breakfast in a french stick instead, Might pass the exams but I'll be 250kg & too heavy to fly at this rate.......!
Yup exam good, have lesson next Friday so can't do exam then. Next one is "Principles of Flight" After that I'll struggle a bit. primer.
Was given this link earlier for a good Meteorology Primer.
By Fellsteruk
tr7v8 wrote:, Might pass the exams but I'll be 250kg & too heavy to fly at this rate.......

Don’t worry you can always move to a Cherokee.

@andynxn welcome and good luck. Also learning out of Liverpool can be a bit daunting with the big birds and I’d say the RT learning curve is a little steeper from what I’ve seen on other YT vids but you get it soon enough. not so much the circuit costs but otherwise a great place to learn.

Enjoy
By tr7v8
Fellsteruk wrote:
tr7v8 wrote:, Might pass the exams but I'll be 250kg & too heavy to fly at this rate.......

Don’t worry you can always move to a Cherokee.

@andynxn welcome and good luck. Also learning out of Liverpool can be a bit daunting with the big birds and I’d say the RT learning curve is a little steeper from what I’ve seen on other YT vids but you get it soon enough. not so much the circuit costs but otherwise a great place to learn.

Enjoy

I'd have thought learning scouse was than the PPL TBH! :wink: