Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By andynxn
Sorry for the delayed reply, since I passed my test I have been so busy. I finally got my license and it was no issue whatsoever.

So how was the skills test? Well in all honesty it was not as bad as you think. My home airport is Liverpool, so left to South to Oulton park then my first waypoint was Eccleshall which is nr Stone on the m6. So I got out at Oulton pk, ATC offered me basic service and I got my heading and off I went. I was constantly watching my Di and double checking with compass. I had a halfway point so was able to confirm this visually and also my time was about a minute early. Examiner asked for time of arrival so I updated him I was maybe a minute faster. At this point I also made a note to change to London information, so did this no issues. As I got within 5 minutes of my target I realised I was slightly to the west by the roads (I had followed route on Google earth beforehand). I corrected slightly but the Di and compass were right. When I got within one minute I knew my town should have been on the nose but it wasn’t, my heart did miss a beat or two but then looked to the east and saw a town, I knew that had to be it, as I got closer it was... Few. So turned to next waypoint which was towards Wrexham, I had to go over tern hill, as it was weekend I could not ask permission as shawbury are closed so I already planned to fly over, climbed to 3300ft, the airfield elevation is 285ft. Examiner asked why I chose that altitude, explained and he was fine (well nothing else said, which then makes you think was that right.... Ummmm Proceed!). Just as we approach tern hill examiner says I have control, again I think I did something wrong but no he said put these goggles on, and do an imc turn. Put goggles on and proceed with rate 1 180 degree turn. All good. Then he asked me to do a few turns and climbs/decents and then asks to used any nav aids and locate my position. So tune in shawbury on vor, get the Morse code and then set the vor to from. Luckily this aircraft has DME so I tune that also and read distance. Draw a line on chart at correct angle, and have my ruler with nm distance so point where we are on chart (still with goggles on).... Then he asked me to divert to Maplas, so again draw line from current location and get heading, read back heading, and estimated time of arrival and planned alt. Only then did he take control again and let me take goggles off. It’s not easy keeping eye on instruments, keeps aircraft straight and level and trying to draw on charts, this was definitely the most difficult part for me.
Saw malpas and pointed it out, examiner then said thats the nav part over. I must admit felt like a huge relief.

Next was steep turns left then right, hasell check and the 3 stalls, unusual attitude which he really banked it over thought we were going upside down, obviously this is and illusion but never banked over that much with instructor. Then he said you have alternator light on, what you going to do. So did the checks, got the check list etc. Said I’d plan to divert to nearest airfield which would have been sleap. Then he pulls throttle (saying alternator check got worse). This was my pfl. Did this ok, got into wind, did mayday, passenger brief, 7700 etc. All good. On climb he asked me to turn right, then just after I got my last stage of flap away he pulled throttle again, so I chose a field In front of me, flaps etc for EFATO. All good pulled away, then tells me to turn to 170 (South) at which point said ok take me home. I didn’t exactly know where I was but know Liverpool is north, so turned 180 back to North and pinpointed a couple landmarks I know to get back. ATIS check and requested join all the way back. Had to do a couple orbits so negotiating with atc before cleared into circuit, asked for circuits, and did one normal touch and go followed by a flapless to finish.
Upon landing and taxing back examiner said I have control (which I thought was odd since we’re only taxing now), but once he did he said congratulations that was a good test and please to tell you have passed. The relief then was nice... He taxied all the way back.
So there is alot to it but it should all have been practiced plenty of times.
Hope this helps people about to do the test. :shock:
ericgreveson, FlightDek, Milty and 3 others liked this
By Milty
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
:shock: I’ve just gone very pale reading that. Still lots to learn to feel comfortable doing all that
By andynxn
Milty wrote:
> :shock: I’ve just gone very pale reading that. Still lots to learn to feel
> comfortable doing all that

I'll be honest i read it and still feel not ready also. So don't worry it's not half as bad as your mind makes it.
Milty, TopCat, ericgreveson liked this
By TopCat
Foggles, not goggles, but otherwise excellent work.

The examiner clearly thought you were up to it, so gave you a bit more of a workout on instruments than strictly required.

I guess he took control so that when he told you you'd passed, you didn't get cocky and drive it into something. A bit like no one being allowed to drive home after they pass a driving test.

Odd that he didn't wait till you'd got back and shut down, though.

Still, very well done indeed. :thumleft:
By TopCat
BTW, what's at Malpas? I could only find a little village called that south east of Hawarden? What kind of diversion point is that? How did you identify it?
By andynxn
TopCat wrote:
> BTW, what's at Malpas? I could only find a little village called that
> south east of Hawarden? What kind of diversion point is that? How did you
> identify it?

Sorry yes correct foggles, Malpas is a small town, flown over it a few times so actually knew it. If you don't know it, could make it slightly difficult, guess it was more local knowledge. But it does have a green hut with three lines on, so it can be identified. (Have a look on Google maps)

Thanks for the comments. Still not sunk in I can now fly on my own. Little bit nervous to go up to be honest. But got some plane bookings in so just need to go do a few land aways. :thumright:
Milty liked this