Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

Fellsteruk wrote:
Jump to Liverpool and if your lucky enough to get accepted into the circuit 90% of the time your modifying the circuit for ILS traffic, or extending /orbiting for an age so even an hour of circuits your lucky to get four in, all adds to the pressure and seems to be effecting my decisions, I guess I just need more experience with the higher workload/traffic.

my bold and italic,
No you don't, not pre-solo. You need to be focused on flying your aeroplane accurately at this stage.

IMO, this sounds like the wrong location. Suggest booking a double lesson and flying out elsewhere to knock out a load of circuits at a smaller quieter airfield, so you can hone the flying skills without dealing with CAT on ILS.

How much airtime (money) have you burnt orbiting out of the circuit?
Fellsteruk liked this
The last thing you want to do is get upset and beat yourself up over a mistake.
The more mistakes you make and learn from, the better.
If you never ever made a mistake and did every exercise perfectly, you then, after the minimum 45 hours, with your shiny new licence, you buy an aircraft, base it on a short grass strip on a farm with 30 ft trees at the end of the runway, turbulence from wind turbines, “don’t land on the smooth aero modellers patch” and a dogleg approach to avoid houses etc. Then what?
T6Harvard, Fellsteruk liked this
Fellsteruk

The best pilots are always their own harshest critics. Always! That’s what makes them good pilots. However, there comes the rule of diminishing returns when we expect too much of ourselves, and really beat ourselves up for simply being human! Being self critical, and learning from pretty trivial mistakes is merely how we progress. But try to take the emotion out of it, accept you learnt an extremely valuable lesson, and crack on with a smile on your face. Try to focus on what fun this is when you get it right. Which you clearly have more often than not. Look forward, not backwards. You’re doing great!

To paraphrase ‘Sully’ a little. We spend years making small deposits in the bank of experience, but hope we never have to make a large withdrawal.

Fly every approach as a go around. Landing is a bonus.
Fellsteruk, T6Harvard liked this
I think that your judgement was OK. You did save the landing. So you were able to recover from the gust of wind and even though you landed to the right of the centre line you were on the tarmac and fine.
Not every landing is beautiful and you cannot go around for ever until your landing is perfect. If all that happens is that you land 5m to the right of the CL, going around may not have been necessary.
It's also not a split-second black and white decision which cannot be undone - especially at Liverpool where there's a mile of runway. You can correct a mistake/gust/surprise lift, see how it pans out and then consider going around if it doesn't or just land a bit later after doglegging to correct the offset. Sure, it's not textbook but there is no reason you need to care to be textbook and it may be just as safe as flying another circuit.
T6Harvard, Fellsteruk liked this
Sooty25 wrote:@Fellsteruk one phrase you don't hear from pilots stood watching others land is, "why did he go around?"

But the phrase you will hear is "why didn't he go around?"

Going around is rarely the wrong decision, and you need to remember that when you are P1 and airborne, you call the shots not Liverpool ATC. If you need to go around, do it, it is their job to adjust the traffic.

If the wind was unstable, the chances are you wouldn't have gone solo anyway, just enjoy the process, it'll come.

I have heard "why did he go around?" once or twice at my local airfield, and I have turned upon the speaker and put them in in their place. @Sooty25 is absolutely correct :thumright:
Fellsteruk, Crash one liked this