Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Thenewguy
So I've barely started my PPL, and already consideing where I will do my night rating :p

A question though, as I'm doing my PPL in Switzerland (and will have my PPL held by the Swiss authorities); will I be able to do a night rating any other EASA country?

Reason being that costs here are quite high, even by aviation standards... e.g. IR rating is in the £40,000 range and night rating courses are in the £2,000-£5,000 range.

I noted that the flight school near my parents' house in the UK does the night rating for just over £1000... hence my question :)
By GrahamB
It’s almost certain that the UK will leave EASA at the end of this year, so I’d rule out training for it here, unless you can get it done in short order.
Thenewguy wrote:Reason being that costs here are quite high, even by aviation standards... e.g. IR rating is in the £40,000 range and night rating courses are in the £2,000-£5,000 range.

:shock: Exactly what hourly rate is that!?!?
Minimum 5hrs for a night rating, perhaps a couple more if you are not current. What part of Switzerland are you in? Ignoring the C19 situation, if its significantly more expensive in Switzerland, have you considered hopping across a border to train?
One thing you do need to be aware of (I have direct experience) is that unless the rules have changed in the last year or two, your training needs to be done at an ATO (DTO not accepted) if not from the country of your licence issue.

Regards, SD..
By Thenewguy
skydriller wrote:
Thenewguy wrote:Reason being that costs here are quite high, even by aviation standards... e.g. IR rating is in the £40,000 range and night rating courses are in the £2,000-£5,000 range.

:shock: Exactly what hourly rate is that!?!?
Minimum 5hrs for a night rating, perhaps a couple more if you are not current. What part of Switzerland are you in? Ignoring the C19 situation, if its significantly more expensive in Switzerland, have you considered hopping across a border to train?
One thing you do need to be aware of (I have direct experience) is that unless the rules have changed in the last year or two, your training needs to be done at an ATO (DTO not accepted) if not from the country of your licence issue.

Regards, SD..

Things here are substantially more expensive.

Hourly rate is around 200 for the flight rental (C152), and another 100 or so for the CPI.

Take the PPL as an example (as I've gone into more detail there), the cost is based on 45 hours of plane rental + around 90 hours of instructor time (the instructor charges extra for prep time, logbook filling, ground time, etc - so works out to roughly twice the hours of flight time).

Or another, the theory - here the cheapest (and only solution in English) is a "school" that costs 1,500 for virtual/online classes. Having signed up, it appears that most of the content is pdf's of manuals, books and similar. There is very limited human interaction, and I've been advised to use the books over the (youtube) videos they link to.

I looked at doing my theory in the UK, but the exam structure here is VERY different. While EASA compliant with the 9 domains, these are taken as one 3.5hr exam. The air law includes Swiss specifics - so if I did it with a non-Swiss provider, I would then need to find a Swiss provider for the air law... Also, I cannot book the exams myself, but my ATO needs to book these for me, which a non-Swiss provider may find challenging...

Germany is a no-go for me (don't speak German); and Italy is quite far...

I've also been told that if I want to rent a plane here, I need have done the alpine flying supplement, or have learnt in Switzerland... oh and when I asked about conversion of a UK PPL, was told that because the UK is leaving EASA, that's a no go (the conversion also costs 10k as you need to redo the air law portion and the alpine flying portion)..