Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By FlightDek
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
T6Harvard wrote:@tr7v8 , I tried to find my flight on FR24 but my ac shows as no history for the past 7 days. I meant to ask my Instructor about this - we do put XPDR on! In fact I treble checked this when I couldn't find us on FR. Thanks for the tip - Will ask next week.

Does Winnie the Pooh have a mode S transponder? FR24 needs that as a minimum in the aircraft. Even then FR24 can only work your position if at least 3 different ground receivers can see you, which might be difficult at circuit height. If Winnie has ADSB out then 1 ground receiver is enough

Nice write-up and brings back memories :thumleft:

PS I didn't know the 152 had a castoring nose wheel
T6Harvard liked this
By T6Harvard
Yesterday it was Tigger
See https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/8722970

We also have Piglett
https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/9150534

We used to have Winnie but shortly after i flew him on my first lesson someone totalled him - ran out of fuel on final. Pilot walked away. Winnie lay on his back for a few days before being recovered to the hangar and w/o
tr7v8 liked this
By T6Harvard
Thanks @FlightDek , I should have thought of that. We have ModeC but not ModeS. Drat, I really wanted to see my (hilarious) flight path.

I have a vague recollection of someone saying they took their mobile with them and used a running app to track! I may look into that.

My only problem would be that if I downloaded a running app MrT6 would engage a private investigator to find out what I was really up to because running ain't gonna be happening, that's for sure :lol:
FlightDek liked this
By Fellsteruk
They are cute, reminds me of my first lesson when 12 in a 152 which had a cat on the tail.

Also, ran out of fuel on final how does one do that.....
By T6Harvard
The running out of fuel was allegedly because the qualified pilot failed to dip the tanks, and as 152's are notorious (apparently) for having useless fuel gauges this begot grief.
By tr7v8
Blimey T6 just looking at Tatenhill fleet & charges. I am paying £240Ph for instruction on the 172SP. It went up after Covid. I was paying £225 ph pre the last lockdown.
T6Harvard liked this
By T6Harvard
They also do a starter package of 5 lessons for the price of 4 .

I pay an £80 membership fee that covers landings there and gets £8 off hourly rate.

:thumleft:

We've got a decent runway, too
Last edited by T6Harvard on Thu May 13, 2021 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Jammy888
tr7v8 wrote:Blimey T6 just looking at Tatenhill fleet & charges. I am paying £240Ph for instruction on the 172SP. It went up after Covid. I was paying £225 ph pre the last lockdown.

Oh my tr7...

£129.60 P.H at Tatenhill for me 10hrs for 9hrs

This is in a 152 but it certainly brings the cost down vs your base.
By JAFO
TopCat wrote:Ramble away. It's always interesting, and it's lovely to see the enthusiasm. It's a nice change from the knarled cynical curmudgeons that most of us are much of the time ;)

Couldn't agree more. I did wonder if @T6Harvard meant us when she mentioned eleventy billion knobs.
By T6Harvard
JAFO wrote:
TopCat wrote:Ramble away. It's always interesting, and it's lovely to see the enthusiasm. It's a nice change from the knarled cynical curmudgeons that most of us are much of the time ;)

Couldn't agree more. I did wonder if @T6Harvard meant us when she mentioned eleventy billion knobs.

@JAFO , you owe me a new screen to replace the coffee-splattered one I am sat at now :lol:
JAFO liked this
By Rob P
T6Harvard wrote:... and as 152's are notorious (apparently) for having useless fuel gauges this begot grief.

Simple rule. Never, ever, ever trust an electric fuel gauge.

When I rented

1) Check the flight log in the office to see how much it has flown since the last refuel. Do the sums, decide how much fuel you expect to find on board.

2) Check the on board fuel gauges

3a) If it disagrees with your expectations, dip the tanks and check.

3b) If it agrees with your expectations, dip the tanks and check.

Rob P
T6Harvard liked this
By editmonkey
Smashing write up T6 and sounds like a really great lesson. My week off flying so I’m doing it vicariously through you!

T6Harvard wrote:Kept straight and pulled back on the yoke at 50kts then I got that voice in my right ear " more right rudder." Doh, I know I should have this sorted by now.

This is so me every week. This and ‘pull up to the left. No, other left’ :lol:
T6Harvard liked this
By TopCat
T6Harvard wrote:I'm flying the beast we all know as a C152!

I'm confused then....

T6Harvard wrote:Taxi onto the runway and line up the castoring nosewheel. That castor still bothers me

The C152 has a steerable nosewheel, not a castoring one. For a moment I thought you were learning in a Grumman, which would have been awesome. Not that I'm biased, of course ;)

Not that there's anything wrong with the C152 :)

Edit...

Ah, my bad. Just looked it up and apparently it also castors, by more than it steers. I never knew that!! Every day a school day!
T6Harvard liked this
By T6Harvard
I know so little but I believe every word my Instructor says and he told me it castors and if I don't line up properly it'll be like the duff trolley at the supermarket, dragging me all over the place :lol:

Good job he's never seen me steering a sm trolley...

@JAFO, now I have regained my composure (!), I should perhaps clarify my comments about eleventy million knobs - that sentence was actually written as a running joke for a friend who is keeping tabs on my 'progress' but I failed to edit it out for my forum post!