Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Rob P
T6Harvard wrote:[A slice of cake to anyone that read all the above :lol: ]

Lemon Drizzle or Carrot Cake please. Your call.

Good write up.

Rob P
T6Harvard liked this
By FlightDek
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Great write-up :thumleft:

T6Harvard wrote: I got up to the wing tanks first go, no unseemly scrabbling, just jumped up like a gazelle (OK, that last bit is a gross over-exaggeration). This is a small issue but it bugs me. Those pegs are too high for us short asses. I made my instructor laugh when I told him in all seriousness I had been practising to improve the manoeuvre.

When I had a share in a 182 I bought myself a small folding step to get to the wing tanks. I think the step on a 182 is even higher than on a 152 or 172

Fellsteruk wrote:I watched a video recently talking about Cessna fuel drains on modern cessnas and they have like 15... pre flight must take an age.

The 182 had 12 drains - 5 on each wing and 2 under the engine. Not too much of a pain but I did invest in a sample jar as opposed to the test tube sampler.

Good luck with the next lessons

Dek
T6Harvard liked this
By T6Harvard
@FlightDek , I suggested a small step would be good for elf n safety when I first struggled with the footpeg but was told it was just a matter of technique :lol: I was told this by a 6'3" bloke. I am 5' 2"!

Anyway, I like to rise to a challenge, quite literally in this case, and of course my instructor is always right, with the right technique I succeeded. If only airborne challenges were as quickly overcome. Sigh.

Wide awake due to mind buzzing. I could get on with making lemon drizzle for @Rob P I suppose. Lemons were on offer at Aldi so we have a glut.

Thanks for the kind comments folks but you really shouldn't encourage me to waffle. I can do that without prompting :mrgreen:
Miscellaneous, Rob P liked this
By JAFO

I claim my slice of cake (well, it is my birthday) but I didn't need the incentive, I really enjoyed your write up of the lesson, as I always do. I'm glad you're back in the sky, I'm still waiting.
T6Harvard liked this
By Miscellaneous
T6Harvard wrote:Thanks for the kind comments folks but you really shouldn't encourage me to waffle. I can do that without prompting :mrgreen:

With the dearth of aviation waffle around here of late we can do with as much 'waffle' as you can conjure. :D
T6Harvard liked this
By T6Harvard
JAFO wrote:

I claim my slice of cake (well, it is my birthday) but I didn't need the incentive, I really enjoyed your write up of the lesson, as I always do. I'm glad you're back in the sky, I'm still waiting.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Virtual cake now made. Do help yourself. FTAOD it is lemon drizzle cake :mrgreen:
By T6Harvard
Cessna571 wrote:Nice one!

Remember, when you’re feeling overloaded, that’s because your instructor thinks you’re doing well and so they can heap a bit more on.

!!

I can categorically say, without any false modesty, that I beg to differ. If we are spared I shall be writing lesson 70 in about two years time and wondering if there will be an upper limit on the number of lessons one is allowed before taking the GST.

I do my best, learn slowly and absolutely love the experience, so I'm a happy bunny.

After all this whole flying thing is an amazing experience and truly a privilege
(although I hate that word now it has become 'a 'boo' word', as my old Politics lecturer used to say*).
* don't let this derail the thread!
By tr7v8
First lesson since 2nd Dec was yesterday. Was doing stall recovery, was a bit slow getting power back on as I recovered from the stall. Last one I did with two stages of flap was the best, possibly because I was finally grasping it. So that means another hour under my belt, so 10:20 total.
Also changed aircraft as well, this one is a newer 172SP so fuel injected & a bit newer. Next lesson will be next Wednesday with more stalling apparently!
T6Harvard liked this
By TopCat
tr7v8 wrote:First lesson since 2nd Dec was yesterday. Was doing stall recovery, was a bit slow getting power back on as I recovered from the stall. Last one I did with two stages of flap was the best, possibly because I was finally grasping it. So that means another hour under my belt, so 10:20 total.
Also changed aircraft as well, this one is a newer 172SP so fuel injected & a bit newer. Next lesson will be next Wednesday with more stalling apparently!

See if your instructor will let you experience the approach to the stall more gradually (eg a 1 kt per second deceleration rather than close the throttle and keep it level). And experience the stall itself for longer. Why recover immediately if you have loads of height. See if you can keep it level in the stall for a while.
By Flyingfemme
I understand the step problem only too well and I’m not even short. Aircraft are designed with men in mind and our proportions vary a little.
I used to have a step/store in the boot of the Comanche. Like this
It held oil, fuel strainer, kitchen roll etc and allowed me to get high enough to actually see the oil filler mouth when pouring. Don’t know what happened to that.
Then I got one of these
And it worked a treat. DH jumped off the wing onto it one day and it disintegrated under his size 13...........
So now I make him do oil checking duties.
Use/take whatever makes you feel most comfortable/secure - it all makes life better.
T6Harvard liked this
By T6Harvard
I have a folder on my PC of my more detailed (!) lesson write ups. I use this method to record everything while it is fresh, to help me later. I have re-read this lesson's detailed notes and 2 things have become apparent -

I did not retain as much information as I usually do. The notes are a bit vague and I definitely cannot recall all the information I was given, which is annoying! I guess my return to flying was therefore more of a challenge than I realised and I was more task saturated. Of course I am still very happy that the flying was better, but I am fascinated by this concomitant drop in mental capacity. Hopefully this was simply more exaggerated due to the lay off.

I also notice that I mention regaining a light touch and I realised that my best lessons have been in this particular a/c. I've flown it twice. It is only now that I see I previously mentioned being lighter on the controls in it.
Could be coincidence, could be that I made a better effort this week (it was very much on my mind!) or perhaps there is something subtly different about my position in the cockpit, who knows. I shall be interested to see if I can pinpoint anything. I am mindful not to let this adversely affect future lessons in different a/c but it would be good to know if there really is something different.

Musings over.

Weather looks good for tomorrow 8)
By Highland Park
T6Harvard wrote:Thanks @Flyingfemme , the Addis one looks ideal.

We have something similar for the Colt (which is quite a tall aircraft and the struts cannot be used as steps) when stepladders aren’t available.

Ian
T6Harvard, JAFO liked this
By T6Harvard
tr7v8 wrote:First lesson since 2nd Dec was yesterday. Was doing stall recovery, was a bit slow getting power back on as I recovered from the stall. Last one I did with two stages of flap was the best, possibly because I was finally grasping it. So that means another hour under my belt, so 10:20 total.

Sounds to me like you did very well! I have 172 envy :mrgreen: