Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Nero
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I flew my xplane piper from Bambridge to Redhill just to keep the switches and checklists in mind.

The ATC flew me directly through the London TMA and in Gatwick's zones on an exaggerated circuit designed for the big jets but never mind... Was nice to be 'flying' again

~ Scott
T6Harvard liked this
By JAFO
@T6Harvard - They say that if something is worth doing then it's worth doing well. What they generally fail to point out is that if something is worth doing well then it's generally worth doing badly first of all. Nothing worth doing was ever easy.

You sound like you're doing fine and I'm really enjoying reading the updates. Sometimes when you describe how badly things are going for you, I do think to myself that they don't always go much better for me and I've been practising for 34 years, on and off.
leiafee, T6Harvard liked this
By T6Harvard
@JAFO , you are very kind and I totally agree with the sentiments.

I absolutely love that I am doing this and count my blessings even when things are not going smoothly.
JAFO liked this
By T6Harvard
@leiafee , I like that graph, thanks.
Will adopt the phrase 'I will keep pushing myself'. It's much more positive than 'God loves a trier.' !
By Duncan M
Instruction was to level out at 4,000'. I knew what to do, started the process but........ it took me far too long to get co-ordinated and level was at 4,300'. Doh.

You don’t say why you levelled out late. I was tought:
Pre-empt the desired level by 10% of the rate of climb.

So, to level at 4000ft with a climb rate of 500ft gently push stick forward at
3950ft.
Flying accurate altitude and speed and heading is no more difficult than flying at
any other alt/speed/hdng,.
A bit of practice and you will wonder what the problem was!!
T6Harvard liked this
By T6Harvard
I sincerely hope so. Probs were firstly the 6 seconds between 3950' and 4000' were mostly my thinking time not so much pushing stick and holding new attitude time, and then PIO took up more time :lol:
Am still chasing lagging instruments even though I KNOW I should be looking OUTSIDE :oops:

Ah well.
I am determined and my instructor has an excellent reputation so I reckon I'll improve, just as soon as we move out of Tier 4 :roll:
By Jammy888
T6 we are at the same school and I believe we are both at 7hrs in!

It’s been fun reading your posts and it is obviously relatable. Luckily I am 30mins from the field but I’ve been in the same boat re: weather cancellations.

Last lesson was ex.14 but not another lesson till 20th Jan with two exams before. Not promising given we have moved to tier 4 :(
Last edited by Jammy888 on Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T6Harvard liked this
By T6Harvard
Hi @Jammy888 .
Did we meet briefly last Sunday?

All lessons canx, just had a call from my instructor. They wanted to carry on but not poss in tier 4.

Ex 14!? You are streets ahead of me.
By Jammy888
T6, I’m just weekdays.

I saw the DFT advice and I guess it was expected.

Possibly not, I’m failing to nail the landings at present

I suppose the annoying thing for us is keeping continuity. My first lesson was beginning of October and 2nd was mid November. But with these lockdowns I feel it’s going to push us back constantly

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
By T6Harvard
Other than last Sunday I am always mid-week too. May see you there when we resume.
My first lesson was early Sept ... I'd definitely benefit from more frequent than 7 in 4 months.

Have booked LOTS for Feb and March. Hope springs eternal :mrgreen:
By Jammy888
T6 I’ve got 16 booked from jan 20th - mid March. So hopefully I will see at least 2/3rds of them.

I’ll keep an eye out 10:30 Mondays, Tuesday & Thursday I’ve got booked up.

And I’ve certainly got the same feeling. Hence booking up. Set my target of June 2021 so I can’t be missing too many!

Let’s pray for clear skies

T6Harvard liked this
By Jammy888
It just gives me something to work at. Otherwise it will drag and drag.

It is pretty amazing. I’m just glad I’ve gotten the induced stalls and spins out the way

T6Harvard liked this