Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By akg1486
Later on, either during the end of training or when you start flying as a qualified pilot, you'll probably be using an autopilot. An autopilot in "heading mode" will steer towards the heading bug. Therefore it's good practice to, before you activate the autopilot, make sure to set the heading bug in the direction you're going. Otherwise, you may be surprised by a sudden turn. And instead of setting the heading bug only when activating the autopilot, why not always have it where you're going (or about to go)?

When I'm about to join the traffic pattern at my destination, I set the heading bug for the course on final. (After switching off the autopilot, of course.) That gives me great situational awareness of how the airfield is oriented: when I'm on downwind, the bug points backward, when I'm on (a left) base, the bug points to my left and so on. I've been flying for more than 15 years, and I can still get disoriented when visiting a place I've never been.

Good luck with your training. Winter is usually a season for many a cancelled lesson, but you'll get there. It's not a race to the finish, it's an experience. And a great one at that!
T6Harvard liked this
By GunnyD3v
Great to read things are going well :thumright:

I feel your pain with regards ti the weather, all my lessons have been canx for the past couple of weeks.

Managed to get up this morning, and we did ex19, Instrument flying. What a strange feeling that is after having Lookout, Attitude, Instruments drummed into you!
To spice it up a bit, I was tasked with doing an overhead join with them on, with only being told the headings and when to descend, only being able to take the glasses off on the downwind leg!

Here’s hoping you get lucky with the weather.
T6Harvard liked this
By T6Harvard
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Oh that's brilliant!! I bet it felt good to be able to do all that.
I was hoping you were still hard at it.
I've got a lesson booked Monday and one Sunday 27th. Not looking too promising for Monday :(
By tr7v8
Message on Skytrek's Facebook page this morning that all lessons canc'd until early Jan, so that is this coming weeks lesson & exam binned. I suspect the airfield would have been unflyable anyway but would have been nice to have got another exam out of the way before the end of 2020.
T6Harvard liked this
By T6Harvard
Oh, that's a shame but understandable in the circs. Keep your chin up.

We're still tier 2 but I wouldn't be surprised if my instructor decided to cancel lessons for a couple of weeks.
tr7v8 liked this
By Flyin'Dutch'
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:@T6Harvard

Don't know whether this has been clarified yet but there is no examination of intimate body parts for any class medical examination.

CAA Guidance:

https://www.caa.co.uk/Aeromedical-Exami ... minations/

You can also have a chaperone.

PS If they manage to tame COVID and I'll still be allowed into the country you are welcome to come for a medical at Turweston and bring Mr T6Harvard. Also happy to recommend A Le Ron from this parish who I think is closer to you.
T6Harvard liked this
By T6Harvard
@Flyin'Dutch' Thank you very much for the clarification and the 2 recommendations. Have never felt the need for a chaperone but good to know it's formally offered.

May I ask about one thing? I have mild asthma, never had an actual attack, never hospitalised, low dose meds keep it fully under control. For Class 2 it will need further investigation, and if so what?

More importantly, how are you and your family now, Doc??
By Flyin'Dutch'
Cheers, we are fine.

As to your question about asthma, it very much depends on the severity of someone's asthma.

When an assessment is necessary it needs to be done with a chest physician, if they consider it is well controlled on acceptable medication then there is no bar to holding a medical.

Have you spoken to someone about it and or looked on the CAA website?

https://www.caa.co.uk/Aeromedical-Examiners/Medical-standards/Pilots-(EASA)/Conditions/Respiratory/Respiratory-guidance-material-GM/
By T6Harvard
Thanks @Flyin'Dutch' . Have no concern that it will prevent cert (do regular peak flow tests), was
wondering when / how / what additional test will be required. Had looked at CAA guidance a while ago and planned on booking medical and then asking AME beforehand, just in case I can take along any additional info to assist.
Another milestone on the road to PPL!
I was pleased to go through the form and see that thankfully I am free from defects as listed - only unknown is ECG, never had one and I guess being symptom-free is no guarantee there is nothing wrong!

Best wishes. Hope you are allowed back in after 1 Jan!
By Flyin'Dutch'
T6Harvard wrote:Best wishes. Hope you are allowed back in after 1 Jan!

We will take it as it comes.

If I am not, it will be someone's loss but pretty sure it ain't mine.

I'd quite like my 25 years of pensions contributions though when the time arrives.
T6Harvard, AndyR liked this
By T6Harvard
Would-be lesson 7, canx due wx.

Had set off for the airfield, more in hope than expectation. En route received a voicemail from my instructor to say canx. I rang back from nearest layby and he said the cloud is in the treetops so no flying. We exchanged xmas pleasantries and are hoping the lesson on 27th goes ahead.

By way of consolation I am going to listen to a couple of episodes of Cabin Pressure :lol: :lol: :lol:
By T6Harvard
Lesson 7 - climbing and descending. Not my finest hour!

The walkround was fine, the couple of things I forgot last time were right in there and I felt fairly competant, except... I managed to cut myself. Only realised as I smeared blood all over the top of the wing while dipping starboard tank. Looked like a bird strike :shock:

Confirmed that I wouldn't bleed to death and did pre-start up checks, which are flowing now.
Taxiied to hold and then to runway. Instructor did the take off but said it'll be me* taking off next time.
*Can't believe I have just written that* 8)

Airborne - well it took me A WHILE to pin down 67knots for climbout but then I managed to do my first ever clearing turns without too much palaver, although it felt odd turning while climbing.

Instruction was to level out at 4,000'. I knew what to do, started the process but........ it took me far too long to get co-ordinated and level was at 4,300'. Doh.
Now in an ideal situ I would have preferred to practice climbing again (instructor to do descent) so I could get one process nailed. Of course we moved to descending. Again I struggled to keep airspeed and consequently angle of descent on the button.

I did manage better with applying full power (have been far too slow) but am still struggling with how much pressure is needed to keep the nose down before I can trim.

Positives?
I was told my trimming was good - a rare accolade in my cockpit :)
I remembered carb heat whenever appropriate.
I was happy to apply rudder when needed.
My taxiing on backtrack was good.
Airborne checklists were fine.
Ground checks flowed and felt familiar.

Summary - Climbing and descending was a dog's dinner!
I briefly held my head in my hands after shutdown, I was so disappointed with myself and embarrassed by the poor performance. I had been sure I was going to do better than this today. My instructor actually said, "Don't despair." !
I reassured him that I was just disappointed and I knew I could do better. Not despairing. Yet.

I am still LOVING flying and still buzzing after each lesson.

Unfortunately next lesson is three weeks' times, wx and covid permitting.
In the meantime I am going to fly my armchair to try and co-ordinate the actions PAT, APT, PAT more quickly :lol:
Miscellaneous, JAFO liked this
By MidlifeCrises
Great to hear you are still enjoying it. It's definitely a marathon, not a sprint, especially at this time of year and with closures left and right.

Sounds like you got some good consolidation in the last lesson and made inroads to climbing/descending.
If you're looking at a few week gap, I would recommend trying your hand at a flight sim. I don't in any way think it can teach "feel" but it does allow you to practise the procedural stuff, checklists, order of actions etc. Think of it as more advanced chair flying.

If you have a suitable computer (doesn't need to be powerful) then the cost is less than a single lesson.

I'm hopeful of flying tomorrow even though we had some snow this morning. Since my last post I've spent an hour in the circuit (which seemed to pass in minutes) and passed Air Law and Operational Procedures. Hoping to relax a bit for my next circuits and remember to use the rudder!!
T6Harvard liked this
By Fellsteruk
Hey T6,

I know it’s easy for me to say but you’re not alone and you will get it. I speak from my own experience that the flying journey is full of ups n downs and whilst the downs are poop you’ll have others but you’ll have even more ups, all part of the learning experience.

Stick at it, you’ll crack it soon enough I know you will :)
T6Harvard liked this