Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Milty
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Well done. How were they? I’ve lost my mojo a bit with airlaw and need to knuckle down to it. Did doing air ops alongside help?
T6Harvard liked this
By T6Harvard
They were OK but I did a lot of work on them and then revision, esp Air Law because there's a lot of it. Doing them on same day was fine, it's not like writing a 3 hour exam as per O Levels (showing my age there!).
They go well together, some crossover in the subjects and Ops is not a massive topic.

I was quite annoyed that so much was not asked about. There isn't a question from each of the learning objectives. I suppose there is such a large question bank that it is not possible to squeeze them all in.

Now to choose my next subject..... hmmm.
Milty, tr7v8, TopCat and 1 others liked this
By TopCat
T6Harvard wrote:A mini fanfare < tad-ah > I passed Air Law and Operational Procedures this afto. That's the first 2 done.

I am disproportionately chuffed :D

50% too chuffed? :twisted:
T6Harvard liked this
By T6Harvard
tr7v8 wrote:Well done, 2 under your belt is a good start. I have done my 7 as separate exams, not sure I could do 2 at once.

Tbh I think the only time I'll do 2 on the same day in future will be 'something' along with Human Performance - I think Comms or Met would work for me. The rest will definitely be one by one :)

@TopCat , not sure how much as a percentage but I was pretty pleased. It's been quite a while since I did any exams :mrgreen:
By T6Harvard
MidlifeCrises wrote:Excellent work T6Harvard! Human Factors/Comms go well together, I think. They will be a bit of light relief after running the Air Law/Ops gauntlet.

Looks like I might be flying my QXC tomorrow!! :shock:

Ooh, exciting!! Route?

Don't forget to report here immediately you land back :mrgreen:

PS, my friend is an instructor, although not currently working as such. She tells of waiting in the caf for one of her students to come back when the CFI popped in to say D&D were on 'cos he'd called LOST. They told her he'd be back in about 12 mins now they'd put him straight. Perhaps this is not the time to tell you that...? :D
tr7v8 liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
tr7v8 wrote:Made a decision to stay with one C172, there is another but it is even older

Just a quick tip, the older the 172, the easier they seem to land.

I've been flying for 25 years, got about 1200 hours, maybe 250-300 in 172s, and I still struggle a bit landing the newer model ones.
tr7v8 liked this
By TopCat
Paul_Sengupta wrote:Just a quick tip, the older the 172, the easier they seem to land.

I've been flying for 25 years, got about 1200 hours, maybe 250-300 in 172s, and I still struggle a bit landing the newer model ones.

Please don't tell me they float more...
By Paul_Sengupta
TopCat wrote:Please don't tell me they float more...

Hah, no, it's just that they become heavier on the elevators, so it's more difficult to fine tune in the flare. The panel seems to have got bigger as well, cutting down the visibility over the nose, so it's more difficult to judge.
By tr7v8
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
tr7v8 wrote:Made a decision to stay with one C172, there is another but it is even older

Just a quick tip, the older the 172, the easier they seem to land.

Understand Paul, interesting comment. The problem I have is that I had major back surgery 3 years ago so am not as flexible as I should be. The older 172 I struggle to get into. Even the one I'm now on isn't easy.
Another lesson tomorrow so we will see.
By jcal
Amazing @T6Harvard! Good work on passing Air Law & Ops! Never thought of doing two at once :shock:, but maybe it's worth considering if there's good overlap. I've seen a few people combine those two.

I'm currently revising Air Law and haven't even opened the Ops book yet, but I might give it a skim tonight to see what's involved.

MidlifeCrises wrote:Looks like I might be flying my QXC tomorrow!!

Super exciting! Good luck! (Although maybe it's already happened by now.)
tr7v8 liked this
By MidlifeCrises
Thanks for the good vibes, QXC is done! A long, but satisfying day. The weather was excellent, with light winds and cloud base lifting above 4000 as the day went on. ATC were kind to me and kept things simple. Now to sleep :lol:
Last edited by MidlifeCrises on Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
UncleT, jcal, Milty and 3 others liked this