Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Rob P
They used to exist.

I still use mine as it saves the tedious business of strapping yourself in nice and tight in a cosy cockpit and then finding the aeroplane keys are in your pocket.

Rob P
T6Harvard, tr7v8 liked this
By jcal
Keep at it @tr7v8, we're actually learning to fly an aircraft, not bake a sponge, it's bloody hard! (Actually can't claim I'm any good at baking sponges if anyone asks).

Honestly, I wish this minimum 45 hours thing wasn't a thing, it puts so much pressure, even if subconcious, to learn things by a specific number of hours, and that's just not how learning things work in my experience. We practice and practice until we're confident enough we can do it, and if we fail, we try again. How many times is irrelevant, if we still want to learn how we just keep doing it until we do.
UncleT, T6Harvard, tr7v8 and 1 others liked this
By tr7v8
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
T6Harvard wrote:I have no idea whether one can fly-in to Duxford on flying days though....I'll be driving of course.

We have booked a few days in the area so have flexibility :mrgreen:

Can we get some Flyer lanyards as instant ID or will we need to carry a rolled up copy of The Times?

Shall I start a new thread for it?

@T6Harvard Just taken the liberty of starting a new thread over in Events
viewtopic.php?f=66&t=119525
T6Harvard liked this
By tr7v8
Lesson cancelled today as cloud too low. So getting up at 6 turned out to be unnecessary! Looks miserable in Chatham. Hope Jersey for my hols the next week is better. Next lesson 10th Sept.
By T6Harvard
Doh.

Have a lovely break (always fancied Jersey, looks idyllic).

I am about to set off for the airfield but we've got very low cloud and mizzle here. Airfield webcam shows OK atm but TAF suggests cloud 1,200' right before my lesson this afto, in which case no circuits. Maybe a 3 hour round trip for, well, the scenic view enroute :roll:
tr7v8 liked this
By T6Harvard
** beware, long ramble below ***

Ooh it was so worth the drive today!
Building on last week when I felt it was coming together, this week was better again. A completely different style of lesson......

As I got to the airfield the wind had dropped a bit and the cloud base was approx 2,000', maybe more, so I was anticipating circuits. I was early so I did my pre-flight run-through to get in the zone, ie, I sat with my eyes closed and flew circuits from RWY08 :D

I realised that my Instructor's car was not there. Hmmm.
In the office I was told he was off sick. A slight pause while I processed that no-one had rung to cancel and I wondered if I'd be turning round and driving straight home?! Anyway, another Instructor was covering so I relaxed and waited for him to finish an aeros flight (it's VERY popular at my airfield).

On meeting my Sub he asked where I was at and how many hours. Answer - struggling in the circuit : too many hours. I explained my issues (esp too many lessons not landing myself!) and he was reassuring.

We decided that I'd fly the first circuit with him pattering when needed, then he'd demo any bits he thought would help. It worked well. I was relieved to find that I had improved, as I thought last week, and was told I flew a good circuit :D Well there's a first time for everything! :mrgreen:

My approach was not the best but I eventually lined up with correct speed and height. A quick reminder to add power at one point and a tidbit I'd not been given before really helped. First landing was squirrely but no teeth were jarred and my take off was fine.

Second circuit I lost 100' mid Downwind, pointed to my failing as I corrected but was told the was fine, no problem (!). And, relax.

Approach was OK, tried to flare too high, responded to 'not yet!' by relaxing back pressure and adding power and succeeded in rescuing the landing. I was really pleased with that.

Climbout, doing FERA check I noticed the carb heat still on! Corrected, got a laugh from Instructor. Again, no big deal.

Another decent circuit, good speed control in climb, really good precise turns (usually OK with them, but these felt much more natural / easier).

A good approach, felt spot on. Had some difficulty over the numbers and it took me a few seconds to sort it out, get straight and control flightpath as well as wings level. As I apologised and concentrated on flaring (not too bad, a little too much speed though), it was a slightly heavy landing (not dramatic), then I cleaned up to Go and my Instructor said the issue was due to heli rotar vortex we got caught in :shock:

I hadn't heard the "Lift" call. Instructor said heli should have waited because I had called Final. I hadn't even seen it lift across the airfield.....
It certainly concentrated my mind, sorting it out! What was good was my Instructor left me to sort it out. I did think that he would have to take control for a moment but he didn't.

As the circuit was empty and no-one was approaching the ATZ my instructor flew a 500' circuit to get me on to Final quickly for another landing.

My approach was good, landing *are you reading this @TopCat * was just about right, stall warner sounded as we floated the last foot or so :mrgreen: .

I was told to vacate by next taxiway so needed fairly firm braking, thankfully nice and even. I forgot to call 'runway vacated' because I had to deal with an opposing taxi (slowed and turned right, of course, but it all takes brain power and I was tiring by then).

Sooo, a long ramble to get to the points -

I learned a lot more about what I am capable of (not English grammar, it seems)

I recognised and sorted out my errors before they became dangerous.

I did 4 landings that were OK and 1 good one.

I had a fantastic time and loved the whole 1:05hrs
Milty, Miscellaneous, tr7v8 and 2 others liked this
By T6Harvard
seanxair wrote:
T6Harvard wrote:I had a fantastic time and loved the whole 1:05hrs

Nice! Was it Dave?

Nope.
I said I was struggling and my ex-mil / ex-commercial instructor was not used to strugglers. He laughed and said he himself was ex-mil / ex-commercial but we'd be OK. And we were :D
Last edited by T6Harvard on Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tr7v8, seanxair liked this
By TopCat
T6Harvard wrote:A completely different style of lesson......

:whistle:
I learned a lot more about what I am capable of

I didn't :D

Not sure I've got anything more to add.... :thumright:

But if I think of anything, well, you know me well enough by now :)
T6Harvard liked this
By T6Harvard
Paul_Sengupta wrote:You realise this lesson is why we've been telling you to change, or at least try another instructor for the last few months? Sounds like Simon is much more in tune with the way you learn.

Yes, I do :mrgreen: .
Enquiries will be made......

This came at the right time. I had a decent lesson last week and really felt things coming together, except for the crucial LANDINGS :lol: :roll: :mrgreen:

We've all said it before, and we'll say it again, but blimey it's a fantastic thing to do, isn't it?!
jcal liked this