Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
russp wrote:400 hrs in and I still consistently land left of centreline - I've simply stopped worrying about it - the narrower the runway is the closer I get!

1200 here and I still do it.

My passenger recently took a video of me landing. Looking at it, I noticed I landed on the left - I told him if I'd remembered he was videoing it I'd have landed on the centreline!
T6Harvard, russp liked this
By TopCat
T6Harvard wrote:
TopCat wrote:
T6Harvard wrote:I say again, my landing was GOOD :mrgreen: Who'd a thought it?

Everyone but you. :pirat:

Ha, but you're wrong.... Instructor Number 1 didn't think it. Nevermind, she who laughs last laughs longest, eh?

Ah yes, good point. But he was a muppet.
T6Harvard liked this
By T6Harvard
So I have just made my first go / no go decision. I post it here because it was harder than I expected!

Tomorrow was scheduled for a very small social gathering, not flying but talking flying :mrgreen:
Covid precautions were fully considered, LFTs arranged for morning, lots of space, good ventilation etc.

Time and effort (and some money) had been invested.

But... then along came the latest Covid figures AND the weather - Forecast likely very foggy for the roads journey there and back for some attendees.

I dithered about whether to scrub.

This was a long-planned, much anticipated meeting. I was erring towards not going but didn't want to let the others down. Half thought I was maybe being over cautious.

Yes, I did recognised familiar considerations from reading many a report about pressing on.....

I dithered a bit longer :roll:

I got additional weather reports from other sources but was conscious to try and avoid confirmation bias.

Then I thought, this is a straightforward P1-type decision so get a grip and decide!

I've just messaged everyone to cancel. Seems sensible now I've done it but it was surprisingly difficult.
JAFO, lobstaboy liked this
By T6Harvard
Indeed.

Groundschool will wait, I've been given homework to do over Christmas involving a Nav exercise.

I have diplomas in drinking tea, eating biscuits and talking flying (the latter has a Distinction) :lol:
By lobstaboy
T6Harvard wrote:I have diplomas in drinking tea, eating biscuits and talking flying (the latter has a Distinction) :lol:

Don't fret, you've a way to go til you get to post-doc level.
But you will, just like the rest of us...
T6Harvard liked this
By T6Harvard
Around up of my flying in 2021.... well ​more of a 'Thank You' really!

I post this to say a massive thank you to the ever-helpful, patient, wise, cheerleaders on the Student Pilot thread, both fellow students and 'old hands'. And thanks to those who add humour to the situation! To fellow students who post such good lesson reports - helpful and inspiring - thank you, too.

Those who have dipped in to my ramblings of woe and exaltation and still found the energy to offer support, give yourselves a pat on the back and a medal :lol:

There is, truthfully, NO WAY I would have carried on with lessons without you.

Such generosity - offering to fly up to help me when I was at my lowest ebb, offering informal groundschool for my next set of studies, PM's with support and kind words , and a few rude words directed elsewhere! I also understand that @paulsengupta and @JAFO have both offered cake? Oh, and speaking of JAFO, thanks for my prized signed book!!

I have had the pleasure of meeting several forumites and enjoyed their company. It's inspiring, seeing other folks flying and loving it so much. Hopefully meet more of you in 2022.

Thanks for the ride, @cessna571. My first RHS in a light aircraft, beautifully flown, on a superb evening. You'd make an excellent Instructor, btw :thumright:

My flying year has been unnecessarily tumultuous but you live and learn, and it's certainly been character-building!

I've flown more hours than I anticipated, disliked some, absolutely LOVED others. Stand out moments were:

i) loving the 'stalls' lessons.
ii) my first good landing, following just 2 lessons with a true teacher who explained properly, encouraged and advised.
iii) flying circuits off a snow-covered runway
iv) finally getting to the stage of actually flying the a/c, not just following set procedures, but feeling it and doing it!
v) being told that all my landings in 6 circuits were good

So in 2021 I have learnt how to take off, fly the aircraft, and..... eventually...... land!! :mrgreen:

Lots, lots more to do in 2022, but I am so looking forward to it. I've said it before, and I'll no doubt say it again, it's amazing!

Thank you.

Wishing you all a happy, healthy new year!
bladerunner911, JAFO, Paul_Sengupta and 8 others liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
T6Harvard wrote:There is, truthfully, NO WAY I would have carried on with lessons without you.

Hey, don't blame us! :D

We're into bad weather season now or I would fly up and buy you a slice of cake for your perseverance. I don't mean in the flying, I mean putting up with us on here...
T6Harvard liked this
By bladerunner911
I would in return like to thank you for your lesson reports that are a very enjoyable read. It takes time and energy to write - which is I don't write very often myself :)
I feel like as fellow students we are on a journey and you are the captain navigating our journey!
Honesty, humbleness and a lot of humour are in abundance in your words and I look forward to reading more of your journey next year, hopefully we all continue to progress and will eventually win our ticket to fly!
A Happy New Year to all fellow students and pilots alike!
T6Harvard liked this
By T6Harvard
@bladerunner911 , you should write some reports, no need to blether on as much as I do!
I've learned so much from other students experiences. However, if anyone thought my circuits were bad, wait till I move on to Nav. You don't want to rely on me to find the way. It's going to be a whole other whingefest!

Thanks, @Paul_Sengupta , I'll see you on a nice clear day in Spring then :mrgreen:
StratoTramp liked this
By Milty
@T6Harvard the thanks go back to you from me. Always nice to have your encouragement and comments as I’ve started on my mission to learn to fly. Looking forward to hear your progress in 2022 now that you seem to be back on track. New year wishes to you and yours too.
StratoTramp liked this
By Miscellaneous
T6Harvard wrote:I've flown more hours than I anticipated...

That alone is a result, I don't see many saying that this year. :wink:

Come this time next year I wonder how many months you'll have had your PPL? :D