Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By T6Harvard
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Another beautiful flying day.
I enjoyed my lesson, it went better than I expected!

I had a shock when I dipped the port tank* and found only 4 gallons. Reported to FI but was assured this a/c had long range tanks so my dipstick wasn't appropriate.
*seems I can consistently jump up on the footpegs now :)

Take off was better, prob looked OK to onlookers, as opposed to a previous one that is likely to be circulating on YouTube! (Who knew you could have too much right rudder :lol: )

Climb-out was fine, turning onto headings good. My first medium rate turns just sort of worked, even managed the righthand ones! Maintained height, only slightly overbanked once and quickly corrected. I was happy with those.

Did some 360°s. I was surprised that I did keep level throughout but was not quick enough to catch my wake.

More success turning onto specific headings. I am fairly instinctive at rolling out onto a given heading, only missed one because I forgot, even though I had repeated it on issuance. I think it's a bit like driving through lots of different speed limits, eventually you just can't remember the last one (or is that just me??).

But...... I struggled to address the right rudder from time to time. No idea why, other than task overload. I was looking out and scanning instruments much better, but even though I could SEE the ball was Right I simply couldn't always get on to it.

My big mistake? I set the wrong QFE on approach to rejoin. FI got the ATIS and I wasn't listening to the broadcast (I know, I know). When he told me what to set I had a little internal debate about whether that was the adjusted figure for QFE or whether I had to knock 15 off to allow for airfield elevation. Being a good and alert instructor he immediately reiterated the correct setting. A valuable lesson and now I know why there is so much debate about QFE!

I was asked how I thought the lesson had gone. I said it was much better than I had expected. I'd enjoyed it. FI reminded me of the poorer bits (mainly lack of attention to rudder) :( but said I "was coming along.", then paused, turned and said "Slowly" :lol: :lol: :lol:
By editmonkey
Brilliant, nice one T6, sounds like it was a great flight.

And no, it’s not just you, although my own Achilles heel is direction. We’ve been in our house six months and I drove past it *again* yesterday. Does not bode well for a QXC. :lol:

Keep ‘em coming!
T6Harvard, WelshRichy liked this
By andynxn
Good T6,

Its funny im about the same as you and if it helps suffering the same issues. I completely forget about the rudder, i put it down to overload too. My last lesson was slow flying, that was interesting and i learnt alot and to prepare for the approach which i did, my instructor said 'you can have that one you got it' (he kept his hand under mine on the throttle) but the rest was mine, rather happy with myself. I thought it was way too high on approach, but it made it all come together with the throttle being used for height and pitch for speed. Stalls next for me, but we did do one as it was a clear day and could get the height. I think my stomach is still up there.
Ive got my take offs and he demo'd a short runway take off for me yesterday as i was asking him about ground effect, good way to learn with a practicle example :)
T6Harvard liked this
By T6Harvard
@andynxn , put your first landing in the 2021 achievements thread!
Well done.

I am dreading stalls :pale:
I am not sure how I'll be. No fear of what we'll be doing but, like you say, just worried how my stomach will cope.

Next lesson tomorrow...
By t1m80
tr7v8 wrote:Hi what time are you booked for? I'm flying weather permitting at 16:00, I'm booked in IO the 172SP

@tr7v8
:shock: Well that's awkward....so am I!!
Screen shot from their online schedule. That's not you at 2pm is it??
By tr7v8
t1m80 wrote:
tr7v8 wrote:Hi what time are you booked for? I'm flying weather permitting at 16:00, I'm booked in IO the 172SP

@tr7v8
:shock: Well that's awkward....so am I!!
Screen shot from their online schedule. That's not you at 2pm is it??

D'oh not this Saturday, I misread that bit in your post. My Saturdays start the following week. I have one booked tomorrow at 12:00 but just the one. I will be doing 2 per week in May. Tuesdays & Saturdays.
t1m80 liked this
By tr7v8
T6Harvard wrote:@andynxn , put your first landing in the 2021 achievements thread!
Well done.

I am dreading stalls :pale:
I am not sure how I'll be. No fear of what we'll be doing but, like you say, just worried how my stomach will cope.

Next lesson tomorrow...

I have a lesson tomorrow, I will see how I get on with circuits.
Stalling I wasn't too bad with. The problem was I found was reacting quickly enough, getting the right amount of easing the yoke forward & getting the throttle back on quickly. I have ended up doing around 3ish hours of this before my FI was happy with it.
By t1m80
tr7v8 wrote:D'oh not this Saturday, I misread that bit in your post. My Saturdays start the following week. I have one booked tomorrow at 12:00 but just the one. I will be doing 2 per week in May. Tuesdays & Saturdays.

Phew! :D Ok, I'm booked in for Saturday morning 8th too so might see you about.
By tr7v8
Well an hour of circuits today, Kent blowing a gale so very bumpy. God that was hard work. 6 circuits & my brain wanted to explode. I think it was getting better at the end . I was not fast enough on the throttle & not controlling speed well enough.
T6Harvard liked this
By T6Harvard
Satisfying though, eh @tr7v8 ? Think how much easier it will be in more benign conditions :D

Bumpy over Staffordshire too! My lesson went better than I was expecting and drew some very rare "good" comments :mrgreen:

Despite the gusty wind I was given the TO & climb-out and somewhat unexpectedly I nailed the 67 kts BROC quickly and trimmed, did FERA check and turned accurately :)

We concentrated on climbing turns and descending turns which went OK (2 were 'good'). I was fascinated how the ac rolls out of the turn if descending but needs holding off in climbing turns. [Oh how I hope I have remembered that the right way round!]

A few more practice climbs/descents and more turning on to headings. Despite repeating the headings I was given I still forgot sometimes. Definitely task overload.

Straight and level was fine* except that I flew at 1900' rather than 2000' towards the end of the lesson - I looked at the altimeter, saw that I needed to put on 100' and tbh I thought if I change anything now I'll lose the plot! And anyway I missed a dose of sarcasm in my right ear :lol:
* never thought I'd say THAT a few weeks ago :lol:

I was slightly hesitant on the rejoin checks as I concentrated on a lot of other things at the same time... I covered them all but I felt I could be quicker, although my instructor was quite forgiving.

It was far too gusty for me to be let near the landing :shock:

I felt that I flew better on Monday's lesson and that my TO was better then but apparently I did well today and my TO was better too :o
Perhaps allowance was made for the slightly tricky wx.

My instructor did say he is being very picky, trying to get me to fly very accurately from the start, because it may not matter so much right now but one day it certainly will. I totally get that. I know these exercises are all building blocks and the foundation must be right.

I am still loving it!!
Miscellaneous, Charles Hunt, tr7v8 and 3 others liked this
By GunnyD3v
Hi T6,

Glad to see your still loving it and progressing well :thumright:

I have not been around for a while, as I started to believe I will never get my licence. Since starting my training in 2012, being made redundant, losing the near 20hrs I did back then and the current situation, I was left feeling despondent and that it will never happen :(

Luckily her in doors persuaded me to book more lessons, so here we are 4 lessons back in, and more solo hours under belt, we are back with the bug! Starting Navigation this week, so soon I may be going further than the reservoir :lol:

I will hopefully get to catch you at the airfield at some point, carry on the good work, it’s great to read that you are progressing well.

Gunny
T6Harvard liked this