Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By TopCat
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
T6Harvard wrote:
TopCat wrote:I'm disappointed with how well I fly nearly all the time :)

Well your 'show off' take off was the talk of the Club last week :lol:

Really? What were they saying?

"What the hell does that idiot think he's doing?", perhaps?
By T6Harvard
TopCat wrote:
T6Harvard wrote:
TopCat wrote:I'm disappointed with how well I fly nearly all the time :)

It was a classic clique reaction - "Did you see that Grumman? He wants to be careful doing that. Remember when I (insert their own flying reminicesnce ), now that was good."

Hilarious.
By TopCat
T6Harvard wrote:
TopCat wrote:
T6Harvard wrote:

It was a classic clique reaction - "Did you see that Grumman? He wants to be careful doing that. Remember when I (insert their own flying reminiscence ), now that was good."

Hilarious.

For the record, I'm always very careful doing that. :pirat:

Stalling and spinning in would spoil the effect somewhat.
T6Harvard liked this
By T6Harvard
Monday's lesson was one about decision-making, and then groundschool :mrgreen:

It was raining and gusting 25kts, about 8kts xwc. Although I started the pre-flight as instructed, I saw sense before undoing the tie -downs! 

The aircraft I was sent to check out was behind a twin that would have to be dragged away. I did the lights and pitot heat check, fuel for contamination, then clambered up and dipped tanks - found 3 gals port and 5 stbd! Then it started raining again. Still windy, cloud base low.  More rain approaching from the North. I looked at the tie-downs and thought 'nope, not untying those and tying them back on in 5 mins time'.

I went back into the office and asked my instructor whether we were actually going to fly in what looked like a very small weather window.
He gave me the choice.
I scrubbed.

Went back out and put her to bed.

Back inside, where it was a lot warmer, I told my Instructor the ac needed fuel and asked for some groundschool :-o

There followed an excellent EFATO briefing, including the possible need to fly under the pylon cables after the end of RWY26 if engine failed below 500' :shock: , Emphasis on not turning back at that height. Food for thought on the objective, options, and decision-making in case of EFATO. Also looked at the process for aborted TO, and loads of info on PFLs and turning points etc.

Then we had a chat about a couple of aspects of my circuit flying. I have never had feedback about my TO (except from my first instructor who thought I was rubbish but never actually advised on what I should do to improve :? . I have improved, thanks to proper teaching :mrgreen: ).  Seems my TO is fine, some tips about xw and avoiding nose-wheel shimmy, but fine.

I was relieved that the things my Instructor picked out as sometimes missing optimum in circuit were exactly as I knew myself. None particularly problematic but we want it all as good as possible, don't we? :mrgreen:

A very valuable day.

So, fired up with enthusiasm I have devoted some time today to wrestling the whizz wheel, mostly calculating wind drift. We seem to be coming to an agreement :D

(Yes, OK, I think it's an ingenious and adorable thing #weird )
Milty, Duncan M, ericgreveson and 2 others liked this
By Milty
Sounds like you have a good instructor now @T6Harvard. Good to get something positive out of a cancelled lesson.

I’m pretty sure that Friday is going to be a write-off for me this week.
T6Harvard, tr7v8 liked this
By T6Harvard
@Milty . I'd say Friday is a day to stay tucked up in bed!

Even Monday looks as though the roads may be dangerous, nevermind the flying. I'm on weather watching mode but with not much hope :(
By ericgreveson
Sounds like a good decision! It can be tempting to want to go for it especially if you've been waiting a while... I haven't managed a lesson for about a month now (last 4 or 5 cancelled due to wind, every weekend!) and it looks like both slots this weekend are going to be cancelled too. I went in to the airport last weekend out of hope, since they were actually flying first thing on Saturday, but as soon as I got there it got up to 30kt gusts and there was no chance.

Using the time to get ready for the last few theory exams - I am tempted to try Comms, Nav and Flight Planning this weekend if there is no flying! Strangely the question bank on EasyPPL seems smaller for Flight Planning than other subjects - I keep getting the same (or very similar) mock exam questions, so not sure how well prepared I am for that. I have to admit that I love the whizz wheel too... something very satisfying about using a slide rule instead of a calculator, maybe this makes me some kind of engineering hipster but I don't mind!
T6Harvard liked this
By T6Harvard
Aaaaagggghhhhh. Canc due wx. Again.

I was down at the airfield yesterday, in glorious sunshine, for a social and jolly nice it was too. But it'll be 4 weeks without flying next week :( :( :( :(

I've scheduled chair flying every day this week so I don't forget how!
By TopCat
T6Harvard wrote:Aaaaagggghhhhh. Canc due wx. Again.

When was your lesson? Birmingham is currently

METAR EGBB 281120Z 19007KT 140V230 9999 BKN024 10/07 Q1022=
By T6Harvard
Lesson at 13:30

East Midlands METAR
Wind 170° 12kt. Visibility 10km or more. Clouds broken 1300ft. Temperature 9°C, dew point 7°C. QNH 1021hPa.
TAF
40% probability, temporarily from Monday 12:00 till 21:00: Visibility 4000m. Rain drizzle. Clouds broken 600ft.

Airfield rang to canx.

I checked the airfield webcam - showing the cloud and rain spots on lens :(

All part of the experience....
Last edited by T6Harvard on Mon Feb 28, 2022 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Milty
Was going to like your post, but it doesn't seem appropriate. We need a dislike option. Or I'll just resort here to a 'harrumph' on your behalf.

Tried chair flying a while ago but it seems unnatural to have elbow space. I suggested to Mrs M that we could squeeze into the cupboard under the stairs together but she got the wrong idea.
ericgreveson, Micromouse, UncleT and 1 others liked this
By TopCat
T6Harvard wrote:East Midlands METAR
Wind 170° 12kt. Visibility 10km or more. Clouds broken 1300ft. Temperature 9°C, dew point 7°C. QNH 1021hPa.
TAF
40% probability, temporarily from Monday 12:00 till 21:00: Visibility 4000m. Rain drizzle. Clouds broken 600ft.

It is of course expressly against the Law, to use (let alone post!) auto-decoded TAFs and METARs.

Don't let me catch you doing it again. Or any of the other students. :twisted:
T6Harvard liked this