Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By lobstaboy
TopCat wrote:
lobstaboy wrote:Poor landings? There are some very popular YT channels that show really poor landings without comment, as if they are completely normal. All the time. Bounced landings, nosewheel first landings. Ridiculously shallow approaches into short strips. Touchdown beyond the midpoint of the runway.

But this is the point - they are normal. Completely normal.

I can only surmise that when the schools work out the relative costs of the very occasional actual accident, measured against insisting across the board that the instructors have the right skills, use them, teach them, and insist that students use them as well (because obviously with at least one of these they don't), they decide that it's not worth the hassle.

Yes, good point well made.
Now we've sorted that out let's try something else easier - third world poverty, covid or climate change? :)
TopCat liked this
By TopCat
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
editmonkey wrote:Not to keep repeating what others have said, but I'm a firm believer in the old saying that there are no bad students. That's NOT to say your instructor is bad, maybe just not right to get you over this wee hurdle (and it is *just* a wee hurdle). I've been through three instructors who are reputable and excellent aviators, but my current FI has been a game changer, almost entirely because of his positivity, his encouragement, his judgement about when to add to the load or when to just consolidate, he pushes me and builds my confidence, and also the rapport we've developed in the air allows us (me) to diffuse tension and nerves rapidly. I never find myself trying to impress and get approval anymore, just to fly safely. And that last one is probably the most important.

Wise words indeed, sir. :thumleft: :thumleft:

I've seen exactly zero evidence that @T6Harvard 's instructor has any of these skills.

From what she says, it's all about procedure with him... (do this here, do that there). And unless each piece of procedure is performed to specification, she doesn't even get to attempt the next bit.

"Assisted landings" (whatever the fark one of those is) every bloody lesson because she was a little too high on base or final? Seriously, what the actual **** is that all about?

I've been holding back for some time on this thread, but it's getting increasingly difficult.

With the caveat that I'm basing my view on one side of the story only (but which I'd be prepared to stake actual money on being right), I'll say one more thing:

At this rate, I can see it not ending at all well, and it's nothing to do with @T6Harvard , and everything to do with the muppet allegedly qualified person in the other seat.

A lot of people less mentally tough than she is would have given up by now.

Grrr :evil:
By T6Harvard
Again, sound analysis and advice, THANK YOU all.

And thanks for the 'Grrrr' @TopCat , that made me smile.

Have formulated a double-pronged plan, first part Thursday. Will report back.

In the meantime I'll be relaxing with a good book in the shade this afto :thumleft:
JAFO, tr7v8, editmonkey and 2 others liked this
By tr7v8
Well yet another entry for my logbook for today. I think I'm going to get a rubber stamp for my logbook. Rochester was pretty busy as it was brilliant sunshine today although the forecast was for thunderstorms later. In fact started 10 mins ago whilst writing this. Lots joined the circuits after we took off, as well as a gyro doing circuits with us as well.
So yet 4 more t/o & landings today and an hour & 5. And no squeaking instructor in my ear. The landings were much better, no nosewheel in danger at any point. Was a bit high a couple of times so he demo'd side slipping.
For the lesson brief the instructor said as we're on Runway 20 I'll throw a few emergencies in! So he simulated a radio failure :shock: , even had the tower doing light signals, a red & consequent go around & a green with a landing. I was doing blind radio calls. Also EFATO during which we confused each other, although I started right, Questions about engine fires on one downwind & smoke in the cockpit on another & what actions would you take.
So now 32 lessons & 31 hours 50mins in.
Next lesson Friday! Also exam FP & P on Friday. I need to get revising :shock:
Last edited by tr7v8 on Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By tr7v8
T6Harvard wrote:Again, sound analysis and advice, THANK YOU all.

And thanks for the 'Grrrr' @TopCat , that made me smile.

Have formulated a double-pronged plan, first part Thursday. Will report back.

In the meantime I'll be relaxing with a good book in the shade this afto :thumleft:

Good luck but shouldn't the good book be an aviation revision one? :mrgreen:
editmonkey liked this
By AndyR
As an instructor one should have the humility to pass you to someone else if what is being taught is clearly not going in or producing results.

If one doesn’t, then the CFI should enforce a change of instructor as it is well know that a change can produce results.

Nothing wrong in being demanding and expecting high standards, it’s just that sometimes the combination of student and instructor doesn’t gel at certain stages of training. Both at recreational and commercial level.
T6Harvard liked this
By jcal
What a gripping read this thread is! Looking forward to hear how you get on @T6Harvard!

I'm fully expecting a prime time serial on BBC iPlayer re-enacting these 43+ pages next year :mrgreen:
T6Harvard liked this
By TopCat
jcal wrote:What a gripping read this thread is! Looking forward to hear how you get on @T6Harvard!

I'm fully expecting a prime time serial on BBC iPlayer re-enacting these 43+ pages next year :mrgreen:

With me, played by Harry Enfield, and @T6Harvard 's instructor, played by Paul Whitehouse...

"Oi... you... NO ... You don't want to teach it like this, with the student just watching you do it... you want to teach HER to fly...."
T6Harvard, jcal liked this
By T6Harvard
Am extremely hot, have had an hour+ of very useful fun, just grabbing a drink before we set off again. A very patient guy is doing a good job in difficult circumstances :D

@TopCat :lol: So long as I'm not Perry :shock:
tr7v8, AlanC liked this
By tr7v8
Hence the two pronged attack, a very cunning plan! Scorching hot in Kent, just revising for FP & P for tomorrow outside in the garden.
T6Harvard liked this
By T6Harvard
Good luck for the exam @tr7v8 , you'll ace it.

Just dashing in to say, "Yeehaw!"

So my approaches are improving A LOT, feeling right, stable, unhurried. The picture makes sense. Instructor was pleased with them. I was pleased with them.

Took me a while to get the next stages and I snatched defeat from the jaws of victory a couple of times in the hold off :shock:
But....

....My landings, FOR THERE WERE MANY, were a bit various - covered most varieties from balloon, flat, squirrely, a bit more of an arrival, and one or two described as good.

All were mains first, so I suppose that's a relief in itself :lol:

I can flare and *sometimes* hold off just right, other times, well....you can imagine.

It did require pattering most of the time but that's what I needed.

Flew 2hrs55mins in total , over two lessons, in 33.5°C. Quite proud of that alone :D

Some bad habits to iron out, lots of work required but at least there was significant progress.

Thanks everyone. I'm off for a large GnT, as, I expect, is my Instructor. He's earnt it :mrgreen:
AlanC, bladerunner911, lobstaboy and 4 others liked this
By bladerunner911
This is great to hear T6, I'm so glad you had a better day today.
I was recounting your situation with my wife while out for a walk yesterday, we are all rooting for you!
A virtual 'cheers to you'!
T6Harvard liked this