Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By tr7v8
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Same problem for me today, lesson booked for 12 :00 phoned Rochester at 10:30 and it was 25-30knot winds gusting to 35-40kts So lesson binned!
Have another one booked for Saturday. Hopefully the weather improves by then. Will book some more then, for end of May & into June.
T6Harvard liked this
By T6Harvard
No lessons this week :(
TAF gave PROB40 of low cloud from about an hour before my re-scheduled lesson. All seemed fine though, rang to check, all lessons on.
Drove down there in glorious sunshine, grabbed light lunch, walked over to the office, the wind blew up and the rain pelted.

Instructor said we could wait and see but eventually it was obvious that there was no point chasing a hole in the cloud. He suggested a briefing for the next 2 lessons, and talked me through the intricacies of the circuit. Time well spent, even though I have a bit of a trek to get there.

Wx looks poor for Monday, gusty and rain :(

I really want to get my lessons in before I have a 2 week break at the end of May.
By Jammy888
We had a bit of a cross wind today 12:30.

Probably not best for practicing your slow flying.

Looks ok tomorrow for me. I still await seeing you in the cafe with my cake :D :D
T6Harvard liked this
By T6Harvard
Monday and Wednesdays most weeks... you flying those days?

I've just made some rather nice banana cake BTW :D
I'm making quite a few afternoon tea boxes to commemorate VE Day so there'll be scones, Victoria sponge, mini quiches and mini sandwiches too :mrgreen:
By T6Harvard
Congratulations!! That's brilliant. How many hours??
Are you still grinning? Have they put it on Fb with a photo of your wings?

Put it on the Class of 2021 thread :thumleft:

I'll be down there for lessons twice next week, wx permitting. I'd better fetch some cake to celebrate :mrgreen:
Will pm you.
Jammy888 liked this
By tr7v8
Jammy888 wrote:Can’t wait to try it T6. I’m there Monday - Friday now.

And first solo today :D

And I hasten to add. I didn’t crash :pirat:

Fantastic, well done.
By tr7v8
Lesson cancelled today. Weird day woke up to heavy rain. Forecast would this would blow out around midday & be warmer but even windier.
It was, gusting mid 30s this afternoon. Damn that is two lessons in a week.
By Jammy888
T6Harvard wrote:Congratulations!! That's brilliant. How many hours??

I'll be down there for lessons twice next week, wx permitting. I'd better fetch some cake to celebrate :mrgreen:
Will pm you.

So I was at 14 hrs. I’m still grinning and all’s I seem to be able to do is show people the video :D

I’m sure we will run into each other. I’m usually there 11:45

Ans nothing on Facebook from what I’ve seen.

And I’m guessing this is where the work starts :cyclopsani:
By Jammy888
Well 14;45 was when my instructor jumped out and told me to bring it back in one piece :shock:

I did cheat and slowed down the cruise to get a bit more time by myself.

And from what I’ve read we have done different things in different orders so I wouldn’t worry about your hours. I read somewhere that they expect your first solo to be half of your age. So I was 0.5 over.

I don’t know where that leaves you T6 :shock:
By T6Harvard
Jammy888 wrote:Well 14;45 was when my instructor jumped out and told me to bring it back in one piece :shock:

And from what I’ve read we have done different things in different orders so I wouldn’t worry about your hours. I read somewhere that they expect your first solo to be half of your age. So I was 0.5 over.

Ha, ha, ha! I've got ages to go yet then.
In fact, if it takes me that long I'll be nearly bankrupt before I can write 'self' under P1 :lol: :lol: :lol:
By tr7v8
Jammy888 wrote:Well 14;45 was when my instructor jumped out and told me to bring it back in one piece :shock:

God that leaves me a long way to go. Currently 12:15 in the logbook. started circuits 10 days ago and I am 64 tomorrow!
I'll lose the will to live if it takes that long!
By T6Harvard
@tr7v8 Noooo, please don't lose the will, us mature newbies have to stick together!

How many hours have you done in the circuit and how many landings?

I reckon I have 2 but maybe even 3 hours before my instructor will let me start circuits! That'll take me to nearly 14 hrs just to get there. I'm a basket case :lol:

PS, Can I blame 2 covid lockdowns intervening???