Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By T6Harvard
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
My first proper lesson . ...

Woke up to fog, rang aerodrome, they reported decent cloud base and some blue sky.

As I drove down the weather improved and we ended up with scattered above 3,000', blue skies, wind light, almost straight down the runway.

Met my istructor. It was weird not shaking hands.

Briefing on control surfaces, cockpit rules and mask protocol :?

We did LOTS of work. I found I am heavy handed, not quick enough to level the wings, and prone to miss the datum point on recovery :oops:

My FI made me repeat many of the manoeuvres to get a grip, so the time flew by. I loved it all (except sideslipping as we descended on the rudder exercises :pale: )

After landing he got me to taxi to the apron but our track was a bit wiggly! I think that will be better long before my air handling :mrgreen:

In conclusion, everything I was told about flying being addictive was true!
seanxair, Morten, Rob P and 13 others liked this
By GunnyD3v
T6Harvard wrote:Cheers Gunny, will do.
Have PM'd you.

The bug has bitten, I woke up thinking about trimming :lol:

:lol: Believe me soon you will be muttering "Lookout, Attitude, Instruments" constantly to yourself.
T6Harvard liked this
By T6Harvard
Ha,ha. Today it was Attitude Hold Trim.

Yesterday I heard Datum Point a lot (along with the words 'you have missed the' )

I was amazed at how much was thrown at me!  I loved it but I did leave wondering whether this is instructor-technique to see if you have the guts for it!? 

I certainly didn't expect to do an aileron turn then have to let the nose drop and wait till descent rate was 500fpm* before being told to recover. 

* I even asked at 400fpm whether I should recover now (surely??!) and he said, No, I'll tell you when!

I honestly can't believe how much I got to try. I really want to be able to do this  :D
GunnyD3v, tr7v8 liked this
By Wicksay
"I honestly can't believe how much I got to try. I really want to be able to do this  "...

Seems to us like you are now doing it... Congratulations... And remember to feel the experience of flying as well as the doing of the flying.

What are you learning it...

T6Harvard liked this
By T6Harvard
In the ubiquitous C152 :D

I am still remembering snippets of information that were imparted on Tuesday.

Yes, feeling it - I think the surprise was how you really feel it slipping when it isn't balanced.

I was going to type that I am 'desperate' to get the hang of it but that is the wrong word.... can't think of the right way to express it but anyway I'm hooked. Maybe I mean I really hope I can show some aptitiude so I can do it justice!

How are you doing, Wicksay?
By Miscellaneous
@T6Harvard great to hear you have started your journey. :thumright:
When are you up again, presumably you have the free time not to be restricted to weekends? :thumright:
By T6Harvard
I am self employed and try not to work more than 3 days a week :mrgreen: so yes, I can take more or less any availability for lessons.

Unfortunately my school are dealing with the backlog of experience vouchers so my next lesson is early Oct. I have said that I'll take any cancellations!

I may have to nobble a fellow forumite as I have just found out we share the same instructor :lol:
Miscellaneous liked this
By T6Harvard
Finally, lesson 2 dawns.

The weather is pants. Heavy rain, low cloud.

Anyway, my new-to-me headset arrived this morning, courtesy of a forumite, so I packed my optimism and set off to the airfield .

It poured down. I had a cuppa and a natter to 2 guys at the Club and then my instructor rang to cancel. I asked if I could do a walk round and pre-flight as I was there anyway and he agreed.

I took so long (I really am too short and too round to elegantly launch myself up to dip the C152 wing tanks) to do the walk round that the weather cleared enough and the lesson was on!

Some firsts today - I got to shout "clear prop!"!
- I got to start her up
- I did the taxying (MUCH better than my first attempt!)
- We flew towards a rainbow several times!!

Lots of airwork (changes to speed, flaps - lots of flaps-, trimming), thankfully some improvements and I have found a lighter touch :lol:

There was a short spell when I actually flew straight and level then entered a turn as instructed and levelled up at the right time. Then I descended and held altitude as directed. So for a very few minutes I felt like I was in control. I did wander off left at one point and my instructor just asked what I was going to do about it, like they do!!

I am no natural and am not kidding myself that it was particularly good, but what a fab feeling to make a that tiny bit of progress.

This is so addictive!
Miscellaneous, JAFO, MachFlyer and 7 others liked this