Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By tr7v8
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Did 1 circuit at the end of a lesson & I have done 1 hour of solid circuits. So 7 in total. The 1 hour was pretty blustery so hard work just keeping straight & level. I am hoping with less wind & less gusts it should be easier, hopefully!
T6Harvard liked this
By AndyR
Too many people are let loose on their first solo as if it’s the be all and end all. It’s not.
Far better to have fully covered all lessons in full and be comfortable with potentially being able to deal with a diversion should the runway become blocked on a first solo, should an engine quit and so on.

Enjoy the learning and remember the old adage, it’s not a race.

If the weather isn’t good enough for circuits, go and learn something else. The lessons (certainly after the first few) don’t have to run in a set order.
T6Harvard, TopCat, Charles Hunt and 1 others liked this
By TopCat
AndyR wrote:Enjoy the learning and remember the old adage, it’s not a race.

So much this ^^^ :cheers:

Pretty much the only mistake my instructor made early on in my training, after I'd flown a few hours with him, was say "you'll do it in 40 hours", in response to my question "how am I doing"?

I did find all the early exercises extremely easy, S&L, climbing, descending, and turns with all of those, so he may have thought I was a very quick learner.

But it didn't last. Landing didn't come easily for quite a while, and once I got into nav everything went to hell in a hand cart for a few hours.

Consequently I felt very dejected about not meeting expectations, put myself under ridiculous pressure, and probably made progress more slowly as a result.
By T6Harvard
I am loving the learning, never expected to be racing through the lessons so that's not a real issue (happy to be slow and steady), and I am still amazed to find myself doing it at all :lol:

Today's lesson was canx due wx. Windsock horizontal, TAF PROB40 for my lesson time 22G37KT BKN022CB :shock:

Ah well, I have Wednesday to look forward to :mrgreen:
tr7v8, AndyR liked this
By tr7v8
Well after a shakey weather start in Chatham it cheered up so another lesson in today! My brain is just about recovering now 5 hours later. 6 circuits done today. Looking at the overlay in Flightradar this looked a lot better, with closer tracks than before. Not sure this link will work but will try. https://www.flightradar24.com/data/airc ... o#27ad28d3
Was getting better towards the end . Different runway today, we were on 20 rather than 02, also a lot less gusty.
Next lesson is Saturday hopefully the weather behaves itself.
By T6Harvard
Oh I'm jealous - circuits going well AND in a 172!

Glad you had a good lesson. I can imagine it takes a while to recover from the total concentration required throughout.

I'm taking cake tomorrow for admin staff, my instructor and someone who posted above that they solo'd at my school last week. I can sit with a cuppa and get my head together before the long drive home :D
tr7v8 liked this
By tr7v8
I'm in a 172 because I am too porky for a 152! Currently on a diet as I have just renewed my medical & got read the riot act last time about my BMI being over 35. This is my second medical & I was warned that if in Jan 22 I am above 35 then it will be an exercise ECG. Did one of them a few years ago after a heart scare & they ain't funny! Getting close & will be there by 2022 but cake isn't part of it :-(
Oh and watch carefully when the doc gives you your CAA medical. I looked at it, my wife looked at it. The Ops guy at Rochester copied it & it was on looking at it the second time that my instructor realised that it was a year out of date! Looks like the CAA system screwed up & printed last years date. Although the Cellma system shows the correct date....... Can the CAA manage an IT system that doesn't look like it was created by a 6 year old with a pack of crayons?
T6Harvard liked this
By T6Harvard
Ah but it is little known fact that cake eaten on a Wednesday contains no calories :mrgreen:

Very worrying about the medical having the wrong date!!
tr7v8 liked this
By tr7v8
Hmm I wish, I work from home & so easy to snack every time I come downstairs to make a cuppa! 1st lockdown was insane, no exercise & eating out of control. This lockdown walked everyday & no snacks!

Yup the doc is looking into the medical thing, he has reprinted it & is popping it in the post as they're an hour from me.
T6Harvard liked this
By T6Harvard
Homework done.
All checklists worked through (ground) and recalled (air, inc HASELL, and after landing).
Have flown the chair for TO, climb-out, various descents and slow flight.

Weather checked.

Packed lunch made, kit assembled into flight bag (AKA Sains bag for life, the roomy woven one :lol: )
and driving music selected :mrgreen:
tr7v8, JAFO, editmonkey and 1 others liked this
By T6Harvard
As my brain is pretty random I have a very wide selection to choose from.

Today's music has been narrowed down to a few mixes that reflect events from my week so far..... so I have some Ska and reggae (because my lovely friends in Barbados rang and our last evening with them before lockdown was spent BBQ-ing fish, drinking rum and singing at the top of our voices :mrgreen: )

By way of complete contrast, and more culturally appropriate, I have gone for crooners of the 50's :lol: :lol: because we've been watching the TV series about Hollywood film stars. Even though that is WAY before my time I know all the words thanks to my grandad, who was a singer and musician in a local band :D

Last week was a mix of jazz but it was a mistake because I'd chosen easy listening and it was too chilled, more suitable for a late night in a piano bar than driving across Staffordshire and Derbyshire 8)

I'm saving anything more recent for the drive to Scotland in a few weeks time because MrT6 sings the hits of the 80's and 90's on any long journeys :mrgreen:
JAFO liked this