Learning to fly, or thinking of learning? Post your questions, comments and experiences here

Moderator: AndyR

By T6Harvard
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Miscellaneous wrote:@T6Harvard the rollercoaster ride continues. :D It's as much an emotional experience as a practical one. And an experience which gives a previously unseen insight in to oneself. :D

Well it is possibly the only thing, other than passing my professional exams and tiling our bathroom, that I have wanted to be able to do really well :mrgreen: :lol:
Milty, F70100 liked this
By Miscellaneous
I'm sure there are many comebacks to that post, @T6Harvard. :lol:

Following your journey takes me back. An enlightening experience all round. Exhilarating, exciting, frustrating, fulfilling, mind boggling, maddening, unbelievable... :D
T6Harvard, Milty liked this
By T6Harvard
And amazing and magical.

And the cause of insomnia...

(I succeeded with both the other projects. One caused me to swear a lot though :mrgreen: :mrgreen: )
Milty liked this
By T6Harvard
An interesting day, more experiences, 5 of not my best landings, 1 good one.

Instructor was running late but that was no problem, I am never in a hurry on a flying day.
Eventually I was sent to pre-flight. There were LOTS of a/c manoeuvring on the small apron but I did the inelegant clamber to dip the tanks, found a lose fastener (is it just me who loves the chance to use the screwdriver?), got through a few other checks then my Instructor appeared and apologised but said we had to swap a/c. So I put her back to bed, control lock, pitot cover, chock etc. Moved to a new-to-me a/c and started again!
So I jump up to the tanks again (who needs a gym membership?!) and now I have to tackle the new 4-point harness (it's an aerobat), and get used to a new, slightly odd panel (a mix of steam and e-instruments). I struggled to see the tacho because it was deep-set and I was full-forward!

Anyway, after realising the rudder pedals were easier and more responsive than I am used to I settled in, until the sun blinded me on crosswind. I couldn't see the e-AI properly but was reminded that the actual horizon was perfectly visible :roll: I found it easier to stay balanced in the turns, got a bit low on Base and too flat on Final so not brilliant.
Raised the nose a little too soon on round 2. Took the sage advice from RHS next time and it was almost OK but I'd got heavy-handed on the throttle so power adjustments on Final were not subtle enough. Grrrr. This is frustrating. I can do this, why not today?!

Cut to the last circuit, ahhh, finally a decent landing, held off for long enough to enjoy it :D

I admit to being unusually quiet on the taxi back in as I reflected on 2 steps forward and 1 back. I must have looked a bit crestfallen because my Instructor told me not to be downhearted, my general flying was good and the landing was coming on fine.

It certainly is a rollercoaster experience :mrgreen:

I decided to re-set before I drove home so I popped into the clubhouse for a brew and a natter and that did me good - laughter's the best medicine and sharing other folks' flying experiences is always interesting.

At it again next week :D
Milty, tr7v8, ericgreveson and 3 others liked this
By ericgreveson
Sounds like fun despite the frustration... I know what you mean, progress isn't a straight line! 2 steps forward and 1 back is still overall forward, so that's good.
Where I am, the clubhouse is currently devoid of hanging-out-space (chairs etc removed) due to Covid restrictions... hopefully this will be back to normal soon, as it's pretty empty in there most of the time right now!
T6Harvard liked this
By T6Harvard
Paul_Sengupta wrote:I'm always in a hurry on a flying day!

Nah, I bet you don't hurry the planning and the checks.
By Paul_Sengupta
T6Harvard wrote:Nah, I bet you don't hurry the planning and the checks.

The what...?

;-)

You could say that it's because I do all the checks and stuff at home first that I'm always late and thus always in a rush...
T6Harvard liked this
By T6Harvard
So last week I sulked when I only got one decent landing in. This week I'm sulking because fog prevented play altogether.
TAF was reasonably promising last night for decent cloud base at lunchtime but the drive down was cloud on the deck.

Arrived to hear someone doing power checks...
hurried over to view a new-to-me Wilga. Eye-catching, but not necessarily in a good way :shock:
My untrained eye was doubtful of the cloudbase but she took off. Then she just disappeared, well before crosswind turn!

My Instructor was looking wistfully out of the window but with Temp = Dew Point and no wind at all it was never going to clear.

So I inflicted myself on the gents in the clubhouse and we chewed the cud for a while before my foggy drive home. Ah well, time to finish revision and prep for Aircraft General Knowledge exam :study: and a lesson next week.

Tbh, I got myself so wound up last week that the break may do me good. But I wanted to fly *wah* :(
Milty, ericgreveson liked this
By Micromouse
I sooooo know the feeling with the current cloud base. Trying to get another flight with my instructor post PPL just to relax, and then a few solos before I can take passengers and its all low cloud, low cloud and low cloud. Managed to grab some 'fun' simulator time and I'm already eyeing up IR(R), but I feel your frustration, and I have about 2 weeks more before I HAVE to go up with an instructor as we have a 28day rule for self hire.
T6Harvard liked this
By T6Harvard
@Micromouse , I can imagine you're itching to fly! As you say, just to relax and enjoy it.

Have you planned where you'll take your first pax??
By Milty
I hate that realisation as the week progresses towards the lesson that Windy and others are not in your favour. I’ve had several times where fortunately, it’s cleared enough to get up but so annoying when it’s not. I always comfort myself with the old cliché ‘it’s better to be on the ground…’ and pop the memory in the bank to spur me on to do IR training once qualified.
T6Harvard, ericgreveson liked this
By T6Harvard
TAF looked poor by Monday morning tbh, but Windy gave a glimmer of hope... Usually I'd have rung to check and see if cancelled before trekking over but I was due to meet up with a woman who was thinking of returning to flying. Suffice it to say that it wasn't a wasted day.

And I got to see the Wilga :shock: :lol: